PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the LT-1?

justinglow
04-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I just sold my 86 skier and bought a 93 Prostar with the LT-1. What have you guys heard about these engines? Also why does the factory trailer have two sets of brake lights?

Sodar
04-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I had a 1996 LT-1 in my 190 and LOVED it! Motor gave me years of trouble free service and I would not think twice about buying another boat with that motor, as long as it has been taken care of! The key to keeping this motor in tip-top shape, is to keep it cool... there are 2 thermostats and in order for it to cool correctly, both must work.

DrJ
04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I also had a 96 PS 190 with the LT-1. It was AWESOME! Lots of power for that size of boat. Never had one mechanical problem with it. Had to change the water pump once, but that was a piece of cake. I would definitely buy another one!!

93ProStar205
05-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Key with the LT-1 is to take care of it. Good synthetic oil (book says 20w50, but lots of guys on the board use Mobil 1 10w30). Aluminum heads mean no tolerance for overheating, so keep the cooling system in good order and watch the gauge. Other than that, should be a very strong motor for you.

SkySkiSpokane
05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I am biased but I thought I would chime in too...
Being up here in the great north we get used to skiing in cold water/weather. I hear the rule of 100 degrees thrown around and laugh. We use the rule of 80ish. :) my motor starts everytime no matter how cold it is. Let it warm to operating temp (which is only about 140 when the water is sub 40) and it is ready to rock. Like everyone has said before keep it cool and it will be good to you. I have never had any problems and I have only had to do general maintenace like a starter and altenator. Have an extra belt and impellor on board and she'll never leave ya stranded.

Oh yea Mobile 1 10w-30 here also.