PDA

View Full Version : Shaft/Prop Change

wsrobert
04-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here, but reading some of your others has been very helpful. I recently bought a '91 Maristar 240SC and LOVE IT!!! Last weekend I hit a stump going to a buddy's camp and now I've got big trouble.
Prop (14x14) is history, shaft is bent (not real bad though), strut is slightly bent and rudder shaft is bent. I plan on tackling this project myself. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but the question I have is for those of you who may have done this before.
How difficult is the alignment process? If I'm replacing the shaft, strut, etc... then how much trouble will the alignment be? Any comments will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

--Willie

jeverett
04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Welcome to TT. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Repairing this yourself should not be to hard.

vogelm1
04-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome - if you feel comfortable changing out the strut and rudder, then I'm confident the alignment shouldn't be much of a problem for you either. It does take some patience when getting down to those last couple thousandths of an inch. If you search the threads on here, there is a real good step-by-step process someone attached regarding engine/driveshaft alignment. However, that will be your last step....get the new rudder and strut on first - the engine is aligned TO those components, not the other way around as it may seem. Good luck, and if you run into trouble, there is always someone here that can help out.

wsrobert
04-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks a bunch. I did find that procedure already...Now the hard part, forking out the cash to buy all those parts.

Thanks again,

-wsrobert

wesgardner
04-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey,

I have the open bow version of the 240...it appears mine also was replaced sometime in the boat's life...the alignment isn't really hard just tedious...you may want to shoot PB Blaster (or sim.) on all the bolts you'll need to move/adjust ahead of time...

wsrobert
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks wesgardner...I thought about that and I shot some WD-40...I noticed those babies are pretty tight. I just bought a manual impact wrench that should help. I've never used one before, but it looks like it could work.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I start the dismantling process tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out. :confused:

Thanks,

vogelm1
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
If you think of it - take pictures...everyone here likes to see projects going on. :D

wsrobert
05-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. I did take some pics. I'll try to post them tonight. Problem I'm having is getting the huge flathead screws out. If I don't have an impact, what's the best way to break them loose w/o drilling? Any thoughts?

Thanks again!!!

wsrobert
05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
OK...Here's some of the pics