PDA

View Full Version : Spring on weight in distributor broke???

athen99
04-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I was installing my electronic ignition and found one of the springs in pcs. What affects would this of had on the boat? Not a mechanic with experience. I also still have to bypass the ballast resistor, but should I completely take it out or does it help something else function? If I take it out , do I just twist ALL the wire going in and out together or do certain ones go to certain ones. I'm not at the boat and could probably trace them and figure it out , but you guys are awesome. Also, I bought a new coil from ski dim and it ohms out the same as my old one??? I bought this stuff at the same time and talked with Vince about the project. Surely he would of spec'd the correct 5-69coil if it really makes a difference??? Or did he expect me to bypass the resistor and then the normal one works fine?? Thanks.

BrianM
04-28-2007, 09:30 PM
If you had a broken spring the distributer was not advancing with increased rpm. Would give you a little less performance. Completely take out the resistor. Just twist all of those wires together, and make a good connection. If your old coil was working fime no need for a new one. The do not reccomend going to a coil with more juice. As long as the old one was putting out what it should you are good to go.

TMCNo1
04-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Call Vince @ Skidim and see if he has any springs. My Prestolite kit had a new set of springs included. Follow the instructions by bypassing the ballast resistor as the instructions direct and go ahead and install the new coil. Basically you are upping the voltage to the distributor and the coil from 8v to 12v when installing the kit and the new coil is a 12v coil.

JimN
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
If you're going to combine wires, crimp and or solder them together. It'll be a lot more reliable and if they come apart from only being twisted, you will be stranded until it's put together again.