PDA

View Full Version : Tower Install Question - Backer Plates

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 07:32 PM
So, I installed my tower today. The front holes lined up right in the middle of the factory installed backer reinforcement plates. The rear holes are right at the edge of the reinforcement plates...the hole didn't completely fit on the plate. I'm guessing I need to add additional reinforcement plates for the rear holes :mad:

How should I glass in the reinforcement plates?

Should I overlap the existing plate and the glass? I think butting up another plate would be a PITA.

I'm guessing there is a possibility that many MCs backing plates on the factory towers may not line up either.

Farmer Ted
04-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd get another piece of aluminum and use a butt load of Kitty Hair to ensure the second one will carry the load

use a smaller bolt with big washers on both sides (head and nut) to hold/torque the 2nd plate to the Kitty Hair, once it's set up take the nut off and knock the bolt through the hole, redrill the final hole and you should be good to go

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Here's what i'm talking about....

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Kitty Hair?????

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
We got the install done between cloudbursts this morning.....I had to be quick about getting it in the garage, so i didn't get a pic with the tower up today.....here are two in the garage late this afternoon after the fronts blew through and the weather got nice...

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 07:54 PM
and another...gotta get smaller pipe insulation for the tower while its down...

athen99
04-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Of course the bullet proof solution is to reposition the plate or add another one. A cheaper fix that might work since , by the way it looks you're hole is indeed going through the plate and didn't break out, is to fab a long rectangular washer and bolt it in. Don't know wether you're at the start of the plate or the end of the plate, but if it's the end then another pc. of material used as a washer would in turn put all the forces to the glassed in plate and the bolt is just used to keep it "sandwiched."

Farmer Ted
04-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Kitty Hair?????

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/images/products/evercoat_FE868.jpg

KITTY HAIR � Best known for its bridging capabilities in rebuilding shattered fiberglass and reinforcing torn or rusted areas of sheet metal. Formulated with long strands of chopped fiberglass. Double the strength of standard fillers. Waterproof. Rustproof. Can be used with or without fiberglass cloth or mat. Should be finished with body filler or polyester glazing putty. Blue cream hardener is included

Did you buy your tower from ND or through your dealer?

It should have came with a quart can of fiberglass filler called Kitty Hair, on second thought if your boat already had backing plates it probably didn't come with the tower.

It looks like you might have half the bolt through the plate, I'd glass another one in just for peace of mind

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks Farmer!

The bolt on the other side is completely on the plate as is its washer. It's the one behind the throttle controls. I'm in a debate with myself whether or not that one will be OK. I'll probably just go buy 2" wide quarter inch aluminum flat stock and do both for piece of mind.

Oh, and a bucket of kitty hair.

Maristar210
04-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Looks great Johnny

Fill the kiddie pool, crack me a beer and I'll get my yellow speedo :D

Oh wait you have kids, we wouldn't want to mentally scar them now would we? :D

Maristar210
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Johnny,

I've got a fab shop if you want some sort of a custom backing plate I can hook you up. If you want....

JohnnyB
04-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the offer!!!

I think this is pretty straightforward and can be done with flat stock. If I get into it and its more than that I'll certainly take you up on it and sketch something up.

Thanks again!:cool:

ChazC
05-06-2007, 12:49 AM
I need tower advice, too.

I have a 2004 Maristar. Looks beautiful "as is" but as my 15 year old gets more and more aggressive with boarding - I feel the need to add a tower.

Price is an issue so a MC is probably out. The best price I've found is: http://www.bigairpylons.com

Does anyone know anything about these towers? Or can anyone suggest any other towers I should consider.

Thanks....

Jim@BAWS
05-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Johnny B...Just a little concerned about your GARAGE !!!

NOT ONE MASTERCRAFT BANNER OR ANY TYPE OF PACKERS LOGO.

PLEASE ADVISE AND CORRECT IMMEDIATLY

THANKS

JIM@BAWS

Farmer Ted
05-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I need tower advice, too.

I have a 2004 Maristar. Looks beautiful "as is" but as my 15 year old gets more and more aggressive with boarding - I feel the need to add a tower.

Price is an issue so a MC is probably out. The best price I've found is: http://www.bigairpylons.com

Does anyone know anything about these towers? Or can anyone suggest any other towers I should consider.

Thanks....

you have a $50,000+ boat, why get cheap on the tower?

You can get into a New Dimension Tower for your ride, although it's not like the current OEM tower that comes from MasterCraft, it would be a better fit for your boat versus a cheap universal bolt on.

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/mastercraft/1998-1999_Maristar_225.html

This Tower Also Fits
200-2005 Maristar 230
2001-2005 X-30

I think Eric was trying to unload a 230 tower, did you contact him?

ChazC
05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
you have a $50,000+ boat, why get cheap on the tower?

I think Eric was trying to unload a 230 tower, did you contact him?

Who is Eric? Is he at New Dimension?