View Full Version : Recirc Pump?

04-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Question for you guys - I had my boat serviced today (basic oil change, etc) and I was told by the dealer that my boat needed a new "recirc pump" - which I was told is what circulates water through the engine to keep it cool.

I am not overly mechanical, but I was under the interpretation that the impeller was what pumped water and circulated it through the engine to cool it off?

Is a recirc pump a part that I can easliy change? I am not even sure if I know what one looks like.

Just curious if anyone has any input, as it is about a $280 fix at the dealer.


04-27-2007, 09:39 PM
The impeller is in the raw water pump that pulls water from the lake and into the engine where the circulating pump, pumps in throughout the engine as if it was coming from the radiator then instead of the hot water being pumped into a radiator, it instead is pumped into the exhaust manifolds where it cools them, then into the exhaust pipes to assist the mufflers in holding down the sound and keeping the exhaust pipes at a managable temperature.
The average DIY mechanic can handle the job and your local auto mechanic can also do it and may do it a bit cheaper, but $280 doesn't sound that bad.

04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Don't know which engine you have but sounds to me like your mechanic is referring to the main engine water pump usually located on the front of the engine block. This pump is responsible for cirulating coolant (water) throughout the engine block and heads. The raw water pump (the one with the impeller) is an accessory added in the marinization of the engine that supplies cooling water to the exhaust manifolds/risers, and transmission cooler.
Changing the impeller in the raw water pump is pretty easy. Replacing the recirc pump would be a lot more work but can be done by a beginner with basic skills, tools. I don't think the pump is very expensive it's the labor charge that will get you on that job.

04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
What did they say was wrong with it? Was it leaking?

04-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh, forgot to mention - It is a 1998 Sport Star 19.

They didn't say it was leaking - Just that it was getting bad and if it went out completely on me I could be SOL sometime on the lake and possibly do more damage with it overheating.

04-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Question for you guys...What does it look like, how do i check it, and where exactly is it?

04-28-2007, 12:27 AM
n/m i found where it is

04-28-2007, 07:02 PM
O.K. you guys are going to hate me for this but here it goes, if you don`t know what your water pump looks like, how to check it, or where its at, Then pay a mechanic to do it for you. $300 for his expertise is nothing. You took your boat into the dealer for his knowlage of your boat to do a service and a oil change, if you trust him let him do it, piece of mind.
how can you tell Iam a mechanic by trade and dealer trained, well that being said your here for help so here it goes. I see that you found it, if its leaking or worn bearing all that you need to do it yourself is a screwdriver for the hose clamps, a ratchet, 6" extension, and a 9/16 inch socket. Pull the hoses off loosen all the bolts and tap it with a hammer and it should come off

04-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Canadienskier - No, its not that I didn't want the dealer to fix it. They just couldn't get a hold of me during the day to get my ok for the fix - Otherwise I would have just had them do it right away.

I just wasn't sure what exactly it was/looked like/etc. That's my only real reason for the post and was curious whether $300 for one of those parts/labor was typical.

04-29-2007, 04:11 PM
yes $300 is about right for that job, someone I know paid $450 for that same job alittle high, and I charge $50 and some free pulls on my buddies boats. For a M.C. dealer thats about right.