PDA

View Full Version : Filling/Emptying factory ballast tanks

onewheat
04-27-2007, 08:41 PM
What is the proceedure for this? Enigne running or not? Boat moving or not? I played with it a bit last weekend and I was baffled and the manual pretty much says 'throw the switch'. It filled ok with no engine, but then wouldn't seem to empty until we were moving.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I typically fill/empty with engine running. Running 4 pumps at one time tends to draw the volts down pretty quick. You will also hear an audible difference with the pumps from when the boat is running and not, so the more power to them the better. I also will turn 1 pump on at a time to reduce a 'spike.'

I will also typically fill while sitting still and getting the gear ready...reduces the chance of aeration. I will empty on the fly or sitting still...doesn't matter.

C36
04-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Filling also may depend on the location of your ballast water pickup (ours is on the transom so we have to fill while boat is not in motion, but can empty while in motion).

Also when emptying, make sure not to run the pumps dry as it is hard on the impellers (from what I understand).

Doug G
04-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I fill and empty both sitting still and cruising less than 10mph Always with the engine running. My pickup is towards the back so moving is not an issue for me.

Harvey
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I always fill sitting still while getting ready to ride. I alway start emptying sitting still but try to finish emptying under speed. It helps force the water out a little quicker and tends to aid in completely emptying the sacks.

Michael Epp
04-28-2007, 08:30 PM
I always run the engine at about 1500 rpm (in neutral) for both filling and emptying (2004 X-10); on my new X-15 I understand there is an automatic shut off mechanism to ensure you don't run the pumps dry. Has anyone had any experience with this feature?

onewheat
04-28-2007, 11:27 PM
I know mine does shut off automatically and it did so when I was messing with it last weekend. The only thing was no matter how many times I flipped the switch, it didn't seem to empty my stern tanks until I did it whil moving - hence my questions. The manual says nothing about running or moving while filling/emptying.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I think the newer setup are actually time controlled and have nothing to do with sensing a run dry condition.

As someone else mentioned, I will bump my RPMs up to about 1K or slightly above when sitting in neutral. Anything much lower starts to draw from the electrical system.

onewheat
04-28-2007, 11:44 PM
They are time controlled, but I believe they also sense a dry condition (probably a drop in current draw due to a lesser electrical load) and will shut down then as well (supposedly). I had a very hard time hearing my pumps with the engine running, wind blowing and the water making noise on the lake.

rstitson
04-29-2007, 10:38 AM
We finally got in the water last weekend, The ballast tanks filled easily while still, but did not seem to empty or even move the gages while sitting still. We had to get under way to empty the tanks. New x-15

prostar205
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I was at the factory in TN last week check out all that was new with the 2007 boats. One thing I noticed was that all the hard ballast tanks had the exact same sending unit that are in the gas tanks. At first I thought the tank I was looking at was the fuel tank, but I was told it was the ballast tank. I would guess they use the sending unit to tell the gauge at the dash how full the tanks are. They may even use that information to shut the pumps down. Just a thought.

SoCalBrew
04-30-2007, 03:22 AM
my pumps continue to run until I shut the switches off... hopefully this is not a problem with my boat (06 X15) When filling, I get overflow coming out of the drain, and when emptying, they will keep running - even when I hear an audible change (no more water), until I shut the switch off.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Tom

onewheat
05-02-2007, 01:20 AM
'07 are timed and have some sort of (too long) dry-run protection. The timer is supposedly programmable too. I forget where I read how though. Somewhere on this site - I'm sure the 'Search' would pull it right up though. :rolleyes:

I don't know for sure about the '06 though.

dreamy_x15
05-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Socalbrew, i also have an 06 x15 and i have noticed that my gauges wont get less than half full. I leave the switch on until there isn't any water coming out but it doesn't seem like it is long enough for it to empty. Have you tried empting them as you drive? I am thinking about trying that this weekend.

Josh

BoulderX45
05-02-2007, 01:59 AM
06 X-45 I was instructed to turn all pumps on to prime the pumps. I was told the pumps are not strong enough to prime one at a time. Once the pumps are primed (manifold is full) I can turn off the ballast pumps that I do not want to fill. I was given no instructions, other than flip the switch, to empty.
What is the manifold? It looks like the "pick up tube" goes to a manifold that the three ballast pumps are connected. I was also instructed that there is no need to be moving during fill.

SoCalBrew
05-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey dreamy_x15... haven't got out much this year, so some of this is from memory... but, I didn't seem to have a problem getting them to fill or empty... a few times it seemed like they were sluggish to fill... but, i turend all switches on and they went right away. I've tried it a various speeds - as well as stopped, and seem to have the no issues.

I found that it seemed like it didn't emptry as much at speed as it did when it was stopped or going very slow. But, it also seem like there was always some left over - and I hit the drains going up the ramp... and then again when I was stopped and wiping down the boat.

Boulder - very interesting concept of priming the manifold... I'm going to try that and see if there is any affect on the process. Sounds like a good practice in theory. I am curious if you do what people have been recommending about keeping your RPMs at 1500? I am curious if anyone knows if that means; 1500 and under, 1500 and over or exactly 1500...

SoCalBrew
08-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Well, after some research, I've come up with a bit of info... seems that the '06 X-15 has different pumps for fill and empty. (got to get into the locker and take a look). From what I understand, they changed that for the '07. and made it so that the same pump just reverses, and sends it back out where it came in. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, it sounds like the '06 ballast impellors have been having problems... I'm getting mine switched out this week as I can take water in - but, can't really get it out very well. Is anyone aware of any recalls on the 06 ballast pumps?

Tom