PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Carb and Fuel Filters

alp
04-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I'll be doing a couple of updates and a tune up this weekend. New carb 4160, Acme 541, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and fuel filters.

How can I prevent fuel from spilling when changing the filters - fuel pump element and sierra spin on? Is this even an issue?

Do the carb bolts require a specific tightening #? Anything to be aware of with the carb and gasket?

Appreciate the tips.

east tx skier
04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Only the fuel in the filter (or element housing) should be of concern for a potential spill---that is, fuel isn't going to gush out of the line. If you have a 1/2 gallon Milk or OJ jug, cut the top half off of it and put it under your filter. Put lots of old towels down there, too. The spin on one is the messier of the two.

As far as the carb bolts go, I'm not sure about the attachment bolts. But be mindful of the torque you put on the fuel line. If you overdo it, it's going to leak. Get the specs and be exact about that one.

79stars&stripes
04-28-2007, 03:22 AM
i agree with the fuel opinions below, and for your carb i can help u out. It's chep insurance to put a new seal under the spacer, and between the spacer and the carb. This will prevent potential air leaks, which could throw your idle off. When tightening the carb down, be sure to use a cross corner touqe pattern, and tighten all the bolts down evenly. Dont crank down on one side and then another, go cross corners, and snug all of them down. The bolts should be very snug, but they do not need to be over tightened.