PDA

View Full Version : Towing with MC boat cover

Loffgren
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
What is the general concensus on towing with the MC boat cover?

sizzler
04-27-2007, 12:54 PM
dont do it...........

but there will be others along to contradict:D

uawaterskier
04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
dont do it...........

but there will be others along to contradict:D
i read where someone tore up a cover bad towing with it on...i vote for no as well

nuckinfutz
04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
I always tow with the cover on. Perhaps a bad habit of mine, but I have lost boat cusions before without the cover on in previous boats. I havent had a tear yet. Ive put about about 9k miles on the trailered boat.

Sodar
04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10240

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=510

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7119

nuckinfutz
04-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Has anyone ever lost a boat cushion? If not, I will not be towing with mine on. Sounds like a good time to blow dry the inside of the boat on the freeway anyway.

east tx skier
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Unless you take precautions to be sure that the cover isn't contacting your gel coat, do not tow with it on. When dirt gets in the cover and underpadding over time, it acts like sandpaper and will leave your gunwhales with a coarse finish that's a real pain to polish out.

Sodar
04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Well.... I have NEVER towed with my cover on my MC. SOOOOO.... for my new 2007,I will start towing with the cover, HOWEVER, I had a custom fleece "under-cover" made to put on the boat before the MC cover. This is what a lot of the ski race guys do with their race boats, and their race boats have nicer gel jobs, than any of us could hope for on an MC, so I trust that they know what they are doing! We will see how it works out! :D

east tx skier
04-27-2007, 01:19 PM
If you have a fleece undercover, I can't imagine that you'll see any ill effects.

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
No cover for me. I like to show it off:D

loeweb
04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
no cover for me. I always take it with in case the weather gets bad though.

Sodar
04-27-2007, 01:24 PM
If you have a fleece undercover, I can't imagine that you'll see any ill effects.

I hope not!

Just an FYI... Mike at skiboatcovers.com, can make fleece undercovers for ~$200 for PS 197's. I am sure bigger boats equal more $$$$, but it seems like a cheap investment, if you really want to tow with a cover, but do not want to risk the swirl marks! :cool:

east tx skier
04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Good info. I'll just tow with mine off though. I'm a showoff.

Sodar
04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Good info. I'll just tow with mine off though. I'm a showoff.

You have always been quite the man-wh*re, Doug!! :D ;) :D

Harvey
04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I will tow with the cover on only when traveling short distances under 50 mph. The mastercraft cover is a really good cover but I don't want to have rough spots where it rubs. If the weather is bad I will just put a terry cloth rag under the cover where it could rub and tighten it down so the towel doesn't move.

That said I have had a cushion fly out of the boat at 65 mph on the highway so that time I wish I had the cover on. Now I make sure that the cushions which the wind affects have something heavy blocking the wind from lifting them. On long trips I will put my boat cleaning kit (a large plastic tub with towels and cleaning supplies)on the floor right in front of the rear seat (the one that likes to fly out). It weighs about 35-40 lbs when full so it doesn't move. You can also use a cooler as long as the cooler is taller than the seat cushion.

barefoot
04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
We’ve always towed with the cover off. The explanation was that it stretches the canvas.

chudson
04-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Leave the cover at home, cover off coming home will help dry it out!!! Highway speeds with the cover on tends to whip the crap out of it and stretch it out!!!

bigpack20
04-27-2007, 02:08 PM
No cover for me I am about 10min for the lake. I don't want to take the time to get if off I just on to get on the water.

TMCNo1
04-27-2007, 02:30 PM
:popcorn: :uglyhamme :popcorn:

shepherd
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
What do you do TMCNo1, oh king of the reunions? :worthy: :D
I'm sure you've put some highway miles under your boat.

shepherd
04-27-2007, 02:34 PM
If I put the cover on my PS190 when I tow, I wouldn't be able to leave the fishing rods in the rod holders!

Sodar
04-27-2007, 02:48 PM
If I put the cover on my PS190 when I tow, I wouldn't be able to leave the fishing rods in the rod holders!

Custom cover there shep!! They can leave an opening for the rods to stick out, with the cover on!! :D :D :D

TMCNo1
04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
What do you do TMCNo1, oh king of the reunions? :worthy: :D
I'm sure you've put some highway miles under your boat.

Usually, anything over 50 miles the cover is on properly and padded. Probably over 25,000 miles towing with the cover on in 18 years. I'll tow to CSM, 110 miles w/o the cover unless it's raining, but it'll go on in the parking lot when we get there, along with a second waterproof cover. I've learned a few lessons/tricks over the years and there is nothing to it! It takes less than 5 minutes to put it on or take it off. I even carry a brand new cover, built in 1986 as a prototype for the new 1987 Prostar190, set up the same as the one we use.

I'll post pictures next time we put it on to show the simplicity of it all.

sand2snow22
04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Cover off, unless it's raining!!

east tx skier
04-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Usually, anything over 50 miles the cover is on properly and padded.

Which is to say, when Harold tows with the cover on, he has lots of towels stuffed under there to keep it from rubbing IIRC.

tex
04-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I tow with my cover placed neatly under the observer's seat.

rstitson
04-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Since covers are the topic, can anyone tell me if the new mastercraft covers are waterproof? And for the price why wouldn't they be? What good is a cover for outside if it isn't?

Jerseydave
04-27-2007, 06:31 PM
After towing my X-star 9+ hours from Ohio to NJ covered, it received alot of gelcoat rub marks and scratches, which really show on black!
But it was a long trip in rain, sleet and snow which got the boat really filthy, so the cover was necessary. I don't usually tow in january.

I will be towing the boat uncovered from now on, placing the rear center cushion in my tow vehicle because it may blow out otherwise.
I now have covers for the tower speakers, tower lights and mirror to keep them clean. (www.speakersoxs.com)

PS, the boat looks better going down the road without the cover.

Ric
04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
If I put the cover on my PS190 when I tow, I wouldn't be able to leave the fishing rods in the rod holders! you are going to need a bigger cover. One that will stretch high over the rod tips and kinda flex them as you cinch up the cover for travel

onewheat
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Towing last weekend with the cover off (X-15) to the local lake, the cushion behind the driver's seat blew off twice, but luckily not out of the boat. The first time was on the highway around 70 mph and I saw it leaning up against the rear seat, put it back on ane we were off the highway by this time and would not be over 50, so I thought we'd be ok. When we got to the lake, it was ajar, but still mostly in place. For the drive home, we closed the door to the bow and the windshield and had no problems with cushions moving. I now understand the snap strap on the center rear seat cushion though. :rolleyes:

Locally, I won't be trailering covered, but back and forth to Norris, I will probably be covered due to all the I-75 dirt, construction, etc.

Footin
04-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Only in a HARD rain for me.

SaltwaterMC
04-27-2007, 08:38 PM
We have both the MC cover and the tonneau and cockpit covers. We use the full cover on while in storage and the tonneau and cockpit covers while towing. The snap covers are great for towing as you get the benefit of the boat being covered without scratching the gelcoat. We had to learn the hard way that the full cover scratches up the gelcoat while towing.

TMCNo1
04-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Which is to say, when Harold tows with the cover on, he has lots of towels stuffed under there to keep it from rubbing IIRC.

You got that right, several old blankets, sheets and towels are used among other tricks. At our destination, all I have to do is take a duster to the dash, damp towel the deck and clean the exterior glass surfaces for what ever event, including boat judging.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I have used the cover towing in bad weather, however I have noticed rub marks...O/C it shows up better on black gel. I'll use the cover as little as possible when towing and start using something to buffer the rub spots.

79stars&stripes
04-28-2007, 03:15 AM
I agree, dont do it. there will be noting left of that VERY expensive cover in a couple years.

ggroller
04-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I only tow with the cover on if it's raining.

Doug G
04-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I only towed the MC a couple times last year and did so with the cover (75 miles interstate driving) without a problem. The couple short runs to the local lake is done with the cover off simply out of convenience of not having to mess with it at the ramp.

All of the gelcoat issues are documented and make sense. What about all the dust / dirt from a highway run without a cover? I am planning on using the cover for the 10 hr run to CSM with some padding.

Michael Epp
04-28-2007, 08:31 PM
only with bow and cockpit covers...never with storage cover.

rick s.
04-28-2007, 10:20 PM
to the lake or delta we always tow with the cover. On the way home we leave the cover off to hopefully help dry out the boat. I cover the upholstery which contacts the black cover to keep the black marks off the vinyl. Have never had an issue towing with the cover and will continue to do it.

procamp
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
DON'T DO IT!! I was told it would be OK, and I can show you what happened to my cover. &^$&$%#*^% !

Anyway, speaking of which...can anyone tell me where I can find an inexpensive replacement cover for a 1998 Maristar 200 VRS. I would like the same type as I had...one that goes all the way back over the swim platform.

Thanks guys...

3event
04-29-2007, 12:41 AM
If there's any chance of rain, I put the cover on and tie it down securely. Have always done this, even with an all black boat. We only trailer 3x / year, however. No scuffs or marks noted anywhere on gelcoat from the cover.