PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurf vs. Wakeskate.

M-Funf
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking of breaking tradition and trying wakesurfing or wakeskating. Can anyone help me decide which would be best for me? I've never wakeboarded, only slalom...I did surf in college, but that was almost 20 years ago :o

They look pretty similar. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that wakesurfing is probably easier since the boards are larger...

I'd also like to know if you think my '76 would throw enough wake to even do this. With the exception of passengers, I don't have any extra weight in the boat.

TIA.

J.

River Rat
04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
We bought a skate and a surf board this year, we are just getting started but so far the kids like the surfer ALOT more. I think you would be able to surf behind any inboard, you just have to learn how to load it up(which is something I have not learned yet) This is my wake with about 400 lbs on one side and 3 kids.

River Rat
04-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Another.....I just posted these on another thread:o

River Rat
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
and then forgot the photo:o

Wake surfing doesn't make you very popular in your ski area, the wake is quite large. We go way down river where there are no houses or boats

dpolen
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Wakesurfing is a lot of fun and SUPER easy. Obviously, the bigger the wake, the more fun it is. I have yet to try wakeskating, but I bet its a blast (looks tough to do). I have used my wakesurf board behind a prostar 190 with no ballast, it was fun, but nowhere as cool as doing behind my Maristar just because of the size of the wake. Just my 2 cents.

Leroy
04-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I bought a wakeskate last summer and it is fun and the falls don't hurt like they do with a wakeboard. I did the wakesurf at mag mania I and also loved it. I think the wakeskate will be fun to do more often, but the wakesurf is great when you are tired.

PendO
04-27-2007, 05:40 PM
my brother has a pretty good story about trying to teach our brother in law to wakeskate ... wakeskating is coniderably harder IMO it is like skateboarding behind a car with a rope (I am not endorsing that either) ... but at least when you catch an edge on the wakeskate the falls do not hurt like they do on a wakeboard ... however, we have yet to teach someone to wakeskate w/o first teaching them to wakeboard ... and no, beer does not help you learn to wakeskate ... getting up is probably the hardest part ... it is fun as a novelty, but at 30 I feel like it has passed me by - give me my one stick and I'm sasstified! The great part about wakeskating is you dont need a boat with a big wake, and you can do it behind an inboard or an I/O. Wakesurfing requires an inboard with a good wake, so you have to have the correct setup.

JKTX21
04-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I bought a wakeskate last summer and it is fun and the falls don't hurt like they do with a wakeboard. I did the wakesurf at mag mania I and also loved it. I think the wakeskate will be fun to do more often, but the wakesurf is great when you are tired.

The trick is to know how to fall on a wakeskate. You can snap your leg bones a lot easier on a wakeskate than a wakeboard, from what I have SEEN!

Cary K.
04-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I am a wakeskater that plays on the surfboard when I need a break. They do both have some similarities. On your boat, while you can get a nice wake, it will be difficult to get a great wake safely. With a very low freeboard, a top notch surf wake can easily wash back into the boat when you come off plane if you are not careful. The bigger boards are easier for beginners and smaller wakes, but are harder to do advanced tricks with (i.e. shuv-its, airs, spins). It is a much easier impact sport than wakeskating though, the speeds are 10mph +/-. On the flip side, your boat is ideal for wakeskating. You really need no ballast or tower, even for advanced wake moves, and especially for skate specific moves. The speeds are 18-23 depending on rider size and experience, and the falls can be brutal, but not usually. You can at least fall away from the board, unlike wakeboarding.

I suggest buying a wakeskate, and try demoing/borrowing some surfboards to try that out. You can wakeskate behind anybody's / any kind of boat, you can not with a wakesurfer.

jlf
05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
We have a wakeskate, non of us are any good at it. It is a bit more difficult IMO than a surf board. Each has advantages and dis advantages. With your boat, no tower and no extra weight a wakeskate is perfect for you. They do take some getting used to and learning the tricks is harder than on a wakeboard IMO. If you get a wakeskate, I recommend getting some shoes to wear on the board. The worst fall I've taken off the wakeskate involved hitting my toes on the board, hurt like a SOB.

Wakesurfing is cool too, totally different than the wakeskate. You'll need to get some extra weight for the surf board. You need to weight down one side of the boat to get your wake to curl over so you'll be able to ride without the rope. I've never seen anyone pull any sort of trick with the surf board, the most I've seen is people be able to stay in the sweet spot and just ride it. Mag has a trick in which someone passes him a beer and he drinks it while surfing, that is the only trick I've seen done. It would seem to me, I'd get bored just riding once I got it figured out.

river_ryder
05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Be careful teak surfing, a girl died up here last summer from carbon monoxide poisoning while teak surfing. Wakeskating and wakeboarding is WAY funner anyways. If you want to surf go to the ocean.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=surfing21m&date=20060321&query=teak+surfing

norris laker
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Teak surfing and wakesurfing are two totally different things. Wakesurfing is riding on the boat's wake using a surf board. Teak surfing is holding onto the swim platform and letting the boat drag you. Very dangerous since your face is close to were the exhaust comes out. There have been quite a few deaths teak surfing.

Wakesurfing is probably one of the safest water activities (as long as your boat is an inboard). There are many tricks that can be done on a surfboard. A great wakesurfing video can be found at http://www.wakesurfmag.com/files/hydro_dynamics_trailer.wmv

wakeriderof87
05-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I have never wakesurfed, but wakeskating is a blast. I wakeboarded a good bit in the past, but mainly three event now, never touch the wakeboard. But I still like to wakeskate when I'm behind an I/O or am to tired to ski. Its the only thing I've found I can have a blast whether I'm trying to learn something new, or just riding around. I'd deffinatly reccomend one for a change of pace

Monte
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Teak surfing and wakesurfing are two totally different things. Wakesurfing is riding on the boat's wake using a surf board. Teak surfing is holding onto the swim platform and letting the boat drag you. Very dangerous since your face is close to were the exhaust comes out. There have been quite a few deaths teak surfing.

Thanks for the clarification....;) :cool:

Leroy
05-24-2007, 12:09 AM
I can't imagine this at all. From what I've done at 20MPH, fall and board slips out and then you fall on the water at 20MPH. So far has seemed like a cakewalk compared to wakeboard falls. How exactly do you break you legs on a wakeskate?

The trick is to know how to fall on a wakeskate. You can snap your leg bones a lot easier on a wakeskate than a wakeboard, from what I have SEEN!

WESSTAR
05-24-2007, 02:27 AM
If you fall with one foot on the board and one foot off going wake to wake that puts a ton of stress on your legs my friend blew out his acl with a fall like that. I wakeskate but I dont go wake to wake there are a lot of tricks to learn without that.

DemolitionMan
05-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm love wakeskating, I have some pics of me wiping out under my photos.

captain planet
05-24-2007, 09:26 AM
About 5 years ago a group of us learned to wakesurf at Norris Lake behind an X-80. None of us had ever tried it before let alone seen it done, nor had we been told the easiest way to try this (please keep this in mind). The surfboard we used was at least 6 feet long, really easy one to ride. Just for a laugh I'll tell you how we started out trying this. I went first and basically got up on the board like a kneeboard and then worked my way up to standing. :o Yea I know, what was I thinking. We figured out how to get up standing shortly after this as you can imagine the steps between lying on the board and standing. But we got it.

Kind of hard to do any tricks with a 6 foot board, but we figured it out and rode around the lake for a while. The highlight of this was when my buddy decided to ride onto the platform, step off and get a refill on his beverage that he drank while riding around the lake.

As for doing this behind a 190. We tried last summer behind my boat with 6 adults in the back of the boat.......we were sooooo close to getting it, but it just wasn't big enough. Yea I know, surfing behind a 190, similar to putting knobby tires on a Formula 1.

I am going to look into getting a wakeskate this summer as my buddy and I used to skate when we were younger.

dpolen
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Wakesurfing is probably one of the safest water activities (as long as your boat is an inboard). There are many tricks that can be done on a surfboard. A great wakesurfing video can be found at http://www.wakesurfmag.com/files/hydro_dynamics_trailer.wmv

That's a very cool video! I just realized I really suck on the wakesurfer...my goal is to be able to consume a beer on the board without using the rope...different priorities I guess.

83MC
05-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I have an 83’ S&S, with a 370+lb Fat Sac and an extended pylon. When the gas tank is full and we have a couple of adults in the boat we are able to find the “sweet spot” and surf without the rope. We start off with the handle and pull ourselves up to the back of the boat. We found out a couple of weeks ago that if we let the rope/handle drag in the water we can use the rope as a “hand rail” to pull yourself back into the wake if you loose the sweet spot. Needless to say, we are having a blast!

djhuff
05-24-2007, 12:17 PM
A friend has a super sport nautique that we use alot (sorry, my only experience surfing behing a DD) About 200 lbs of lead on the side we are surfing, plus people and a center sac and it is really great.