PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Mussels???

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I have recently received word that Zerbra Mussels have infested my local flat water play land. I sit on a couple of boards for our River Association and we are kind of scratching our heads. Specifically those of us that own pontoons that sit in the water all year. Anyone know what we might expect to see as far as accumulation on our pontoons?

I hear lift sales are going to be on the rise:mad: :rolleyes:

Edit:/

Please share any experiences you may have had as well.....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-27-2007, 08:44 AM
I have recently received word that Zerbra Mussels have infested my local flat water play land. I sit on a couple of boards for our River Association and we are kind of scratching our heads. Specifically those of us that own pontoons that sit in the water all year. Anyone know what we might expect to see as far as accumulation on our pontoons?

I hear lift sales are going to be on the rise:mad: :rolleyes:

Edit:/

Please share any experiences you may have had as well.....
Dont scratch your head too much, you dont have any hair.8p ;)

Slinkyredfoot
04-27-2007, 08:45 AM
We have a minor problem with these at our lake, you can expect an accumulation on the potoons dpending on the severity of this problem.
More importantly though, the water pickup holesfor the outboard motor, they will clog the inlets and the motor will not get enough cooling water to it. I would suggest raising the lower unit of the motor out of the water while not in use, this helped our problem

JimN
04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Maristar- I don't know if you have read much about what they do but if your water is normally cloudy, it won't be if the mussels take hold. Make sure to post warnings about what will happen if people don't clean the weeds and critters off of their boats and trailers before launching on your lake/river. If you are on a private body of water, you'll have to do something that's very unpopular, and check everyone's boats and trailers to find the cause. Once the water is clear, you're going to have a lot of weeds that weren't a problem before. If the water is deep, the weeds may not be as much of a problem but invasive species are never a good thing.

I have heard that there are fish (a gobie, IIRC) that love to feed on zebra mussels but unless you already have this fish, introducing them becomes a new issue.

Good luck with this.

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Dont scratch your head too much, you dont have any hair.8p ;)

Meaningless post number what for you UMP8p

JimN
04-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I didn't see that this was on a river, so knowing that, I think I would get the DNR in on the act. They have the resources and probably have already surveyed upstream and may even know where they came from.

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I didn't see that this was on a river, so knowing that, I think I would get the DNR in on the act. They have the resources and probably have already surveyed upstream and may even know where they came from.

Thanks for the input Jim. The DNR was out here last year in August and did a fish sampling. When they were here the infestation had not yet begun so I don't think they are aware yet.
I do know one gentleman who purposely left his 12 foot rowboat in the water for two weeks and when he dragged it out the entire hull was coated with them. We did not have this issue last fall so it seems the infestation is rather speedy IMO. We continue to do research but the Gobie option is not likely. Still scratching my head....

And I do have hair, I just cut it short UMP you jack of no trades8p

KnoxX2
04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
And I do have hair, I just cut it short UMP you jack of no trades8p

Now thats funny....I don't care who you are .........thats funny right there:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

JimN
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
The infestation is definitely speedy. They got into Lake Michigan and not long after, since we have a very active harbor with international shipping, they came in and did a nice job of cleaning up the water. When I worked at the first dealership, we took a few boats down to the lakefront for Maritime Days and I took a bucket to get some water for cleaning the boats. I hadn't seen the bottom at that area in years and I could see it clearly at 7:30 PM, in the shade. I didn't expect that at all. I haven't heard much about it recently but I would imagine they're still here. They were a real problem at the nuclear power plants, clogging up the cooling water intake grates.

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
We'll see what happens here shortly when people start putting thier boats in.....

Thanks and I'll update you later

Ric
04-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I have read about these things and it's typically North of the Mason Dixon that I've heard of infestation... anyone know if they are found in the South?
Good luck Steve, and enjoy the clear water!

M-Funf
04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I recently received a notice about these critters myself.

I don't think you'll have a problem with a 'toon that's in the water all the time since you don't move it from body of water to body of water. Sure, they'll attach themselves to the bottom, but if you raise the outdrive or engine out of the water when not in use, you should be O.K. You may have to pull it once in a while to scrape off the bottom...

From what I've read, they are really concerned about people who move their boats from one lake to another without completely draining and drying the bilge or ballast. So if you don't trailer your 'toon to other places, you shouldn't have an issue with spreading them.

That said, these little bastiches are really bad, and anything we can do to mitigate the migration or spread is important.

Matt L.
04-27-2007, 11:14 AM
The cousin of the Zebra, the Quagga, recently jumped from the upper midwest to the AZ / NV Southwest. They are moving into the Phoenix metro area through the Colorado river Water canals coming down from Lake Mohave and Havasu to Lake Pleasant just outside Phoenix.

It is the big party lake so I don't go there anymore. Watching th idiots at the boat ramp is always fun. But those same idiots will make their way to Roosevelt and contaminate it. It feeds 3 other lakes that will then be hit too. The fishing is hard enough, now it will really suck.

Later,

Matt

M-Funf
04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
The cousin of the Zebra, the Quagga, recently jumped from the upper midwest to the AZ / NV Southwest.

That's the letter I got...Quagga's. It's only a matter of time before all the lakes are infested...even Tahoe :noface: :cry:

phecksel
04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
That's the letter I got...Quagga's. It's only a matter of time before all the lakes are infested...even Tahoe :noface: :cry:
There is nothing you can do to stop the infestation. All it takes is one idiot or one mistake, and games over.

The infestation in our lake has substantially decreased, and not sure why. Used to be anything in the lake would be encrusted with the little devils, and one year after a heavy freeze, the lake was clear down several feet. Now they've mostly gone away, and the murky waters have returned.

Ric
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
The cousin of the Zebra, the Quagga, recently jumped from the upper midwest to the AZ / NV Southwest. They are moving into the Phoenix metro area through the Colorado river Water canals coming down from Lake Mohave and Havasu to Lake Pleasant just outside Phoenix.

It is the big party lake so I don't go there anymore. Watching th idiots at the boat ramp is always fun. But those same idiots will make their way to Roosevelt and contaminate it. It feeds 3 other lakes that will then be hit too. The fishing is hard enough, now it will really suck.

Later,

Matt sounds like we could see them in TX, if the Colorado is affected.

milkmania
04-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I have read about these things and it's typically North of the Mason Dixon that I've heard of infestation... anyone know if they are found in the South?
Good luck Steve, and enjoy the clear water!
us okies have them via the arkansas river
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/mussel.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/images2/zmyr2004.gif

milkmania
04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
click the pic

http://protectyourwaters.net/images/top1.gif
(http://protectyourwaters.net/)

Ric
04-27-2007, 12:05 PM
us okies have them via the arkansas river
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/mussel.htm

Yikes! NIce work Milkman!

M-Funf
04-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I just read the recommended cleaning steps:

Wash with 104F water, or a 1% salt solution, or dip equipment in a vinegar solution. Dry COMPLETELY or allow to dry for 5 days minimum before placing in another body of water...

This usually isn't a problem for me since I don't ski as often as others, and I usually go to the same place...but DANG! :eek:

Sodar
04-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Zebra mussles add 30 minutes to my drive home from the river if I tow the boat! They now are using the agricultural inspection stations, to inspect for water left in bilges or ballast tanks, to prevent the mussels from spreading from the Colorado River, to California reservoirs

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Speaking of Cameron. When does the new boat arrive? Or is Eric "still demo-ing it?"
:D

Sodar
04-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Speaking of Cameron. When does the new boat arrive? Or is Eric "still demo-ing it?"
:D

I leave for Chicago tonight! :cool:

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I leave for Chicago tonight! :cool:

Jeez man sounds like fun. Wish I could be there too. Love Chicago!!!

Go Cubs / White Sox Suck cracker a$$

/Threadjack of own thread.....

Priceless :D

Sodar
04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
/Threadjack of own thread.....

Priceless :D

It happens!! ;)

Leroy
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Kind of nice to get that crystal clear water! Just need to do some genetic engineering on them so they don't want to stick on boats! I've seen them in TN.

ProTour X9
04-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm glad my lake doesn't have those devils! The milfoil can be treated but for Zebra Mussels its only a matter of time:( :noface:

Get the DNR no matter what it stands for.

rodltg2
04-27-2007, 04:00 PM
im sure we'll get them out here eventually. what abbout ski lakes. could you getb rid of them on a small area?

M-Funf
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Rod, You should be able to prevent the spread to ski lakes by making sure that the boats are dry, no water in the bilge, etc. It's almost impossible to enforce on public lakes, but shouldn't be a problem on a private lake I would think/hope...

I don't know of any way to kill these critters without killing beneficials. If you don't have anything else living in the lake, just poison them...:cool:

JohnnyB
04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
From the Wisconsin DNR Website. The statement on DRY is specific to preventing zebra muscles. Also, bleach washing will kill them.

To prevent accidentally transporting invasive species:

Posted signs like these and others remind boaters to always remove all aquatic plants and to drain Water from boats and trailers to aviod accidentally transporting invasive species.
Remember, allows game wardens or other state law enforcement officers to prohibit someone from placing a boat in the water if aquatic plants or zebra mussels are attached to the boat

INSPECT your boat, trailer and equipment and REMOVE visible aquatic plants, animals and mud before leaving the water access area.

DRAIN water from livewells, bilge, motor, bait buckets and transom wells before leaving the access area.

EMPTY bait buckets into the trash.

DRY the boat and equipment for at least five days before transferring to a new lake.
If drying isn't possible, RINSE boat, tackle, downriggers and trailers with hot (above 104 degrees F) and/or SPRAY with high-pressure water.
Learn what invasive organisms look like and

REPORT questionable species to your local DNR office for identification assistance; preserved specimens are needed to confirm sightings.

JimN
04-27-2007, 05:55 PM
I was going to say that copper anti-fouling paint isn't something they like to be on but that aluminum boat sounds like a pretty effective way to collect them. Put old aluminum boats at strategic locations and have high school kids pull them out for regular scrapings, into a big bin on a truck.

Hoosier Bob
04-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Steve has Muscles? Where?8p

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Steve has Muscles? Where?8p

This one down here;)

Hoosier Bob
04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
You are not flexing are you?8p

Maristar210
04-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Not yet. You have not assumed the position:D

Matt L.
04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
I just read the recommended cleaning steps:

Wash with 104F water, or a 1% salt solution, or dip equipment in a vinegar solution. Dry COMPLETELY or allow to dry for 5 days minimum before placing in another body of water...

This usually isn't a problem for me since I don't ski as often as others, and I usually go to the same place...but DANG! :eek:

I always wanted to buy a HOTSY pressure washer!!!

79stars&stripes
04-28-2007, 02:13 AM
the only thing to expect is more mussels. The pontoons will have more on them every year, and my boat lift gets covered with them as well as our pontoon. Zebra mussels are no good, especially when they are taking over our swimming area.

Ric
04-28-2007, 08:30 AM
the only thing to expect is more mussels. The pontoons will have more on them every year, and my boat lift gets covered with them as well as our pontoon. Zebra mussels are no good, especially when they are taking over our swimming area. are they any good steamed with a side of beer ?

C36
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
We have a minor problem with these at our lake, you can expect an accumulation on the potoons dpending on the severity of this problem.
More importantly though, the water pickup holesfor the outboard motor, they will clog the inlets and the motor will not get enough cooling water to it. I would suggest raising the lower unit of the motor out of the water while not in use, this helped our problem

Wouldn't this issue/risk (clogged raw water intake/engine overheating) also apply to I/O's and inboards (if left floating) as well? :confused:

JimN
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
It does apply but it's also easier to see the intake on one of those and a lot of people who are on affected water know that they should raise the drive out of the water when they leave the boat in.

milkmania
04-28-2007, 10:14 AM
wonder about a ball valve at the fresh water intake on an I/O?

just close that valve when it's going to stay an extended time in the water, and threat the water that would be between the valve and the water inlet grate

Ric
04-28-2007, 10:38 AM
wonder about a ball valve at the fresh water intake on an I/O?

just close that valve when it's going to stay an extended time in the water, and threat the water that would be between the valve and the water inlet grate how do they handle the problem on the big boats? Big party boats like what six balls runs up north?

WTRSK1R
04-28-2007, 10:41 AM
One of the worst things about zebra mussels is that they are razor sharp. If you have any rocks on the bottom in the swim area, you will cut your feet bad when you step on them. One of my favorite lakes in the area has a shallow area with a rock bottom. Everyone likes to anchor in that area so that you can hang out, swim, and just plain have fun. Now, if you do that without water shoes on, the Zebra mussels are so bad that you slice your feet up really bad. They are razor sharp, and sometimes you do not even know you cut yourself until you see the blood dripping from your feet.

Steve

Ric
04-28-2007, 10:54 AM
They are razor sharp, and sometimes you do not even know you cut yourself until you see the blood dripping from your feet.

Steve Beer :rolleyes:

Maristar210
04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Beer :rolleyes:

Thats what I thought there skinny:D :D

88 PS190
04-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Depends partly on the water cleanliness.

Zebra mussels do better in very dirty water, than they do in very clean water.

So if your water is dark/dirty they will really explode.

We have them up in Elk Lake, but they don't really get the numbers they do in other places because the water is so clear.

milkmania
04-28-2007, 10:25 PM
how do they handle the problem on the big boats? Big party boats like what six balls runs up north?

I'm just trying to work on my problem8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
I thought Zebra mussels were some sort of new age expensive delicacy dish, like the "new" ES-CAR-GO!;) 8p

C36
05-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I found some information I thought others might be interested in:

Sea Grant fact sheet, "Boaters:Take action against zebra mussels" (http://www.sgnis.org/publicat/papers/kelchilg.pdf)

Page 2 of this fact sheet says, "... The best prevention against such damage is to use your boat. Try to run your boat twice a week at high speed for 10 to 15 minutes. The mussels can’t attach when the water velocity exceeds 1.5 meters a second (about 3.5 mph or about 3 knots) and may be washed off at speeds exceeding two meters a second (about 4.5 mph or 4 knots). The high-speed running will also help flush any attached young mussels from inside the motor systems, and the heat generated past the water pump will kill any veligers that may have been drawn into the system.

For outdrives and inboard units, run the engine at operation temperature for one-half hour each week. ..."

And this one from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin Sea Grant Institute

"Boater Guidelines Offered
From January, 1995 (update #23)

MADISON, Wis.- Although photos of zebra mussel-encrusted boat engines have been widely distributed, few Wisconsin boat dealers and marina operators have reported mussel-related problems to Wisconsin Sea Grant personnel. To find out more, ZMU called two major engine manufacturer "help lines."

A Mercury Marine Technical Services Help-Line Operator named ... ...said he has never heard of zebra mussels causing problems in outboard motors. However, Mercury Marine offers the following general advice for all outboard engine users: (1) Flush the cooling system after each use; and (2) Wax the outboard engine regularly. You can flush the cooling water system, he said, with a garden hose and "Engine Earmuffs," which are available from local dealers for around $10. For more information, call Mercury Marine at (414) 929-5000.

A Mercruisers Technical Services Help-Line Operator named ... ... said he has never heard of zebra mussel-inflicted damage to inboard engines, though he has received calls from customers asking how to remove zebra mussels from engine cooling water intakes. When ZMU called ... ... in late October, he said he had received four calls this year, 60 in 1993, and well over 100 in 1992. ... said he keeps a file on zebra mussels, and Mercruisers has put out an internal memo for technical services representatives telling them how to handle zebra mussel questions.

For more information, call Mercruisers at (405) 743-6566.

ID: 199501-18."

JimN
05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I have seen more of them on 'toons than any other kind of boat but piers get pretty well encrusted, too.

ski36short
05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Slalom courses get pretty well encrusted too. The guys at one lake nearby contend that the extra weight from the mussels significantly narrows their turn buoys so they clean them off regularly.