PDA

View Full Version : 84 Rudder Loose?

dichdoc
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
The rudder on my 84 seems sloppy and the grease doesn't last long. I've heard of some O rings on the rudder shaft but mine does not seam to have any. It's has almost like seals near the grease zerk. It looks like a jam nut affair, would this tighten down solving both problems? TB

83MC
04-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I had the same problem on my 83’. I removed the rudder and found an O-ring just inside the bottom of the rudder port. Check there…

Bruce Carr
04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't think the 80's MC used a rudder log with a "jam nut affair" like many of the other brands did (and still do). I believe you will find an
O ring groove (hopefully with an O ring in it) on the ID of the rudder log close to the bottom. The groove is not in the rudder shaft. At the top of the rudder log, there should be two rubber shaft seals pressed into the ID above the grease zerk.

If your rudder is sloppy, meaning there is a good bit if side to side play, you probably have some wear on the OD of the rudder shaft and ID of the rudder log. When you pull the rudder out, the wear will be visually obvious on the shaft. If you measure the diameter of the log at the bottom, it will likely be out of round with the diameter being larger side to side vs fore and aft. New seals won't help in this case.

I had quite a bit of wear on my '83 making the steering sloppy thru the course and sometimes binding a little when straightening up after a tight turn. One way to fix the problem is to replace the entire rudder and log assembly with new. Skidim has a replacement which does not look like the original but is claimed to work fine.

I chose an alternate fix. I machined a bronze bushing about 4" long with a 1.125" ID to just slip over the rudder shaft with a 1.225" OD . I then machined the ID of the rudder log to just over 1.225" ID. This diameter cleaned up the out of round condition on the ID of the rudder log and allowed for a close fit when the rudder was reinstalled. This has been woking well for several years now.

dog paw
04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I have a good bit of slop in my 84 also. I took it apart a couple seasons ago and found pretty much exactly what Bruce described. (I cant remember a O ring)

I like your fix Bruce, the price of a replacement made the choice easy to put it back together with some new seals and keep it greased:( Might be a job to take on when I get the guts to try the platform mount reinforcement