PDA

View Full Version : Prop Guard hitting ground

Barefoot Rookie
04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Has anyone experienced problems with the prop guard hitting the road when you go up a slight hill? Is there a way to fix this. I imagine that I need to beef up the springs or try and lower the hitch. The boat sits pretty level right now when hooked to the truck.

WTRSK1R
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Better the prop guard then the prop. The first thing you want to do is make sure the trailer is as close to level as possible. You do not want the tongue too low though because the trailer brakes will not work correctly then. Some have added spacers on the trailer springs to raise the whole thing up, but most just live with the occasional hit. I have the most problem going over sidewalks as I go in and out of gas stations, and a really big scrape at one particular boat launch at I go back on to the street.

Steve

Barefoot Rookie
04-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I need to do something because on the way to the launch the trailer scrapes in 2 different spots an it is only a half mile to the lake. What do others use for spacers?

sanjuan23
04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Take it to your local Trailer place have them put about an inch of Steel Block or something similar... that can take the constant dunking and you shouldn't have any more problems. As WTRSK1R put it make sure you are as level as possible

east tx skier
04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Either go for more convex springs, lift the trailer with blocks, and/or add some rollers. I opted for the latter two. Ther is a link to the supplier for the drag wheels in the faq thread under the header "other part suppliers" (paraphrased). Look for pacindustries link. Good luck.

TMCNo1
04-25-2007, 10:21 PM
It could be the ball mount is too high, placing the propguard closer to the ground than it should be.
Barefoot Rookie,
Somewhere, MC says the top of the ball should be 18" from the ground as nominal height for towing prior to placing the tongue of the trailer on the hitch. Let us know what yours measures.

TonyB
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
I have the same problem but mine is definitley because of the ball height. I pull my boat with a Ford Expedition and have a four inch drop on my hitch but it is not enough.

ttu
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
i have the same problem as tony.

07 tahoe and with the 4 inch drop i am at 22 inches.

JKTX21
05-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I have the same problem but mine is definitley because of the ball height. I pull my boat with a Ford Expedition and have a four inch drop on my hitch but it is not enough.

Same here, I'm about to invest in my third hitch. Good thing they are cheap.

sanjuan23
05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Now I am going to go measure...

sanjuan23
05-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Okay I am @ 22.5" with the 2.5" Drop on the Titan. Then I have a 5" Drop but that dang spare rubs the drive when I pull in or out.

Jkelly
05-02-2007, 11:30 AM
On my 04 trailer the height is 21" I us a 3" drop on my 2500 dodge 4X4 and have not had a problem.

Sodar
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
My personal opinion, and I am not trying to step on toes here, but the last thing I would do is drop my tongue down and lift the trailer, it just don't look kosher for my liking!! Just install some prop guard rollers and let it drag!! I hate the look of a trailer that is not level with the ground. JKelly has the right idea...

east tx skier
05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
My personal opinion, and I am not trying to step on toes here, but the last thing I would do is drop my tongue down and lift the trailer, it just don't look kosher for my liking!! Just install some prop guard rollers and let it drag!! I hate the look of a trailer that is not level with the ground. JKelly has the right idea...

While you're certainly not hurting my feelings, I would bet that if I didn't tell you my trailer had a 2" lift on it, you'd never know it. Even so, I'd have been fine letting it drag, but those steel rollers were doing a number on my driveway and the place I got them didn't make a poly substitute.

TMCNo1
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I have a question, in the following picture, is the boat level, going up hill, is the trailer level or going down hill?

Sodar
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
While you're certainly not hurting my feelings, I would bet that if I didn't tell you my trailer had a 2" lift on it, you'd never know it. Even so, I'd have been fine letting it drag, but those steel rollers were doing a number on my driveway and the place I got them didn't make a poly substitute.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't. I just do not like tha gap between the fenders and tires, but hey, I am a gangsta that likes lowered cars... :o :D :o