PDA

View Full Version : How good are the dual purpose batteries?

athen99
04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm looking into buying a decent battery and I was wondering if I should just stick with a CCA of 600 or more or go with a dual purpose battery for stereo and cranking? I don't use the stereo that much, just an occasional sand bar stop.

Thanks

No Skeez
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Go with an Optima. They are rated at 800 CCAs, but most test over 1000 CCA when we test them, in some cases, even after sitting all winter! It is well worth it! Just my :twocents:

chevy08bud
04-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I've been able to run my two amps at decent volume for 3-4 hours and then still be able to start my boat using the Optima Yellow Top that was bought 3 or 4 years ago for my parent's boat. I traded them the battery that was in my boat since they are selling their I/O. Used to sell these batteries a lot, and IMHO they are well worth the $$$ spent.

athen99
04-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I just talked to someone from Interstate and they steared me away from the Optima ?????? Saying,"If you have more money than you know what to do with then you can throw it away on that, but if you want VALUE for your dollar, I'd buy the 24 XHD." I think this is going to be one of those comfort things........"I had one and it lasted this long" Who knows. Thanks.

Archimedes
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I thought Interstate owned Optima now.

I just put a new Optima blue top deep cycle in my boat and ditched the Interstate cranking battery. $200 is cheap insurance for a ruined weekend in my opinion.

athen99
04-25-2007, 02:00 PM
They do, but you have to like someone that knows their product and will tell you honestly if it's worth it or not! I work in manufacturing and know first hand that a product can come off the same line , but put a different label on it or add a non-significant feature and boom you pay double the price! I realize in this case they're selling a different technology, but I'm assuming that the rep. has had the experience to base his answer on. Take it for what it's worth????

Archimedes
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
But the 24XHD is a cranking battery, not a deep cycle. If I were running a lot of stereo equipment, I'd go with a deep cycle battery, regardless of make.

Evan Jones
04-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Wow....top of the line Optima ! They are expensive ! Good CCA and great reserve capacity compared to others.

ULT-9052-161 $249.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today

Brand: Optima Batteries
Product Line: Optima BlueTop Deep Cycle Marine 12 Volt Batteries
Part Type: Batteries, Automotive
Battery Usage: Deep cycle
Volts: 12 V
Battery Terminals: Top
Battery Type: AGM
Cranking Amps at 0 Degrees F: 900 amps
Cranking Amps at 32 Degrees F: 1,125 amps
Reserve Capacity: 155 minutes
Length (in): 12.812 in.
Width (in): 6.500 in.
Height (in): 9.375 in.
Weight: 60 lbs.

jimmer2880
04-26-2007, 05:30 AM
After going through a battery a year (from a salesperson who told me "I'll sell you an optima, but this battery is much better for the buck"), I switched to the Optima blue-top cranking battery. If the battery lasts into next year, it will have paid for itself. Not to mention, I get very testy when I run down to the dock for the first ski ride of the weekend only to hear "click click click".

cm02WS6
04-26-2007, 08:39 AM
After going through a battery a year (from a salesperson who told me "I'll sell you an optima, but this battery is much better for the buck"), I switched to the Optima blue-top cranking battery. If the battery lasts into next year, it will have paid for itself. Not to mention, I get very testy when I run down to the dock for the first ski ride of the weekend only to hear "click click click".

One battery a year? Do you drain your battery down a lot, or something else to work it harder? If not, then it sounds like something else might be going on than a bad battery. Did you have your charging system checked, or maybe an electrical short somewhere?

jimmer2880
04-26-2007, 06:56 PM
One battery a year? Do you drain your battery down a lot, or something else to work it harder? If not, then it sounds like something else might be going on than a bad battery. Did you have your charging system checked, or maybe an electrical short somewhere?

My battery would end up with a short every time. Kind of like the plates were falling off or something. Anyway - Glad I switched and haven't had any problems since I did.

nuckinfutz
04-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I thought Interstate owned Optima now.

I just put a new Optima blue top deep cycle in my boat and ditched the Interstate cranking battery. $200 is cheap insurance for a ruined weekend in my opinion.

Archimedes is correct, Interstate does own Optima now. I have sold them for years (back when I installed car stereo for a living). Don't bother with anything other than a Blue top if you do choose optima. If you do decide to go other route, make sure its deep cycle.

For those who do not know what the benefits of a deep cycle are;

A simple cycle of a battery is near dead, and recharged again. "Deep" is dead, then charged again. All batteries are only good for so many "Deep" cycles, how ever a deep cycle battery is designed to take more abuse and last longer. If your planning on sitting at the sand bar and moderately listening to tunes or cranking it up you can never go wrong with the extra protection of a battery that has been designed to take a little more abuse.

Also, Optima batteries are Gel Cell. A little known fact about Gel cells is that if you do run all the way down, turn off everything and wait for 20 minutes or so. Gel Cells tend to bounce back and give you just enough to start.

Some more juicy info on a Gel Cell;
you can mount them sideways. Not that we would, but if for some unforeseen moment your battery falls over, its sealed so it wont leak. They use gelatin electrolites instead of standard water electrolites.