PDA

View Full Version : Technical deficiency of this forum!

beatle78
04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi guys,

I've been getting extremely frustrated with this forum's search feature do to it's search rule of 4 characters or more.

I cannot search for

LTR
oil (as in "oil filter")
MC
... the list goes on

I know the reason for it was to eliminate searches with common words like "the", "how", "was", but it's hurting the relavent searches.

Is anyone out there an admin that could modify the search rules for us and eliminate the 4 characters or more searches?

thanks,
beatle78

Maristar210
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi guys,

I've been getting extremely frustrated with this forum's search feature do to it's search rule of 4 characters or more.

I cannot search for

LTR
oil (as in "oil filter")
MC
... the list goes on

I know the reason for it was to eliminate searches with common words like "the", "how", "was", but it's hurting the relavent searches.

Is anyone out there an admin that could modify the search rules for us and eliminate the 4 characters or more searches?

thanks,
beatle78

Go advanced (did you try that?)

east tx skier
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
PM TMC and TTAdmin. They may have some ideas.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-24-2007, 10:55 PM
beatle78, Try starting a new thread. Instead of the search.;)

Hey ETS- You let me down. I expected the FAQ thread recommendation..8p

Leroy
04-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Other than very specific words I go to google and it will find stuff on TT better than this search engine. Hey if TMC and TTAdmin have something good share!

beatle78
04-25-2007, 04:08 PM
it doesn't matter if you go advanced or not, the search strips out anything less than 4 characters

" Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : ltr"

beatle78
04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Leroy,

What do you put into google to find stuff on this site.

Do you use keywords like "tmcowners"?

chevy08bud
04-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Just do a simple search for it in Google as if you were looking for anything else on the internet. TMCowners will come up as a site that has the content that you are searching for, and will take you to the thread that contains the information.

Sodar
04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Other than very specific words I go to google and it will find stuff on TT better than this search engine. Hey if TMC and TTAdmin have something good share!

Best advice in a LONG time!! Doug, this needs to go it the FAQ section! I just tried googling MCX and it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Beatle, I hear you on this. I get so po'd most times I try the search function. That could certainly be improved.

BTW, what beatle are you? Ringo or Paul?

Ric
04-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Beatle, I hear you on this. I get so po'd most times I try the search function. That could certainly be improved.

BTW, what beatle are you? Ringo or Paul? or Bailey .

TRBenj
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Just do a simple search for it in Google as if you were looking for anything else on the internet. TMCowners will come up as a site that has the content that you are searching for, and will take you to the thread that contains the information.

Or you could do an advanced google search and only show results from TMCowners.com.

Just type this into google:

ltr site:tmcowners.com

pram
04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Or you could do an advanced google search and only show results from TMCowners.com.

Just type this into google:

ltr site:tmcowners.com

That is possibly the best new piece of information that I have heard this year. Thank you thank you thank you

Leroy
04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Teamtalk ltr works. There are a lot of search methods, but find something common with this page.

beatle78
04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
beatle bailey.... Ric got it!

TRBenj,

NICE, I never knew I could tell google to search certain domains.....

for all those who are as fdrustrated as I am.

type your search into google and also put this in the search bar

site:tmcowners.com

Nice!!!

check out the search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+ltr+site%3Atmcowners.com&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Well, I've learned my 1 thing for the day, thanks!!!

milkmania
04-25-2007, 07:27 PM
That is possibly the best new piece of information that I have heard this year. Thank you thank you thank you

shoulda used the search feature

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7058&highlight=site%3Atmcowners.com

8p

pram
04-25-2007, 07:50 PM
shoulda used the search feature

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7058&highlight=site%3Atmcowners.com

8p

Milk your killing me here;)

beatle78
04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
hehe irony at its best

beatle78
04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
hehe irony at its best [browser hung - double post]

Ryan27r
04-26-2007, 12:54 AM
It's actually in the forums software. So VB is written so you cant use items less than 3 letters just like an invision board.

beatle78
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
they should change the VB code for the forum. They didn't take into account for forums like this where there are a lot of 3 character names/acronyms that are crucial to the search.