PDA

View Full Version : Steering

mrm2083
04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
The steering on my boat got extremely tight all of a sudden today. It is tight to the point were it practically stuck. My boat is an 06 X2 with 200 hrs, It is used in salt water but is not left in the water and the bilge is always dry. Is it normal for the cable to go this quickly? Anything else it could be, maybe just needs lube?

Jerseydave
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Disconnect the rudder "tiller" arm from the cable. If it still steers hard, your cable is the problem. If not, try moving the rudder by hand. It should move easily. If not, it may need to be greased. (Have you ever greased your rudder?)

Salt water/salt air can cause steering cables to "stick" after a short time. You could try spraying WD-40 into the cable and keep working it back and forth. That may be just a quick-fix though.

Jerseydave
04-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Where are you on the east coast? (just noticed your profile)

Show us some pics of your X2........nice boat!

mrm2083
04-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I have never greased the rudder and after looking at everything it looks like my dealer hasn't either. If it has never been greased do you think that would be the problem?

Jerseydave
04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
You'll know when you disconnect the cable from the rudder.

If the rudder is the problem, you may have to remove it, clean the rudder shaft with some emory cloth, lube and re-assemble. Of course, try greasing it first to see if that helps.