PDA

View Full Version : Dead Batteries

emnesto
04-24-2007, 07:32 PM
I needed to delay my first lake visit of the season when I found two dead batteries. I thought I did the right thing this winter by using a battery maintainer. My duals are connected Neg to Neg, and I made a Pos to Pos jumper and used one maintainer for both (it says it can handle up to 4). Took the maintainer off about 3 weeks ago, and now they are dead. I bought my MasterCraft a year ago. These the original Proline batteries.
What's recommended for winter time. Remove from boat? Battery switch to off? How about the maintainers, recommended?

Jerseydave
04-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Hmmmm.......not sure what happened in your case. Can you check the water in the batteries, or are they totally sealed? Sometimes after alot of charging (even slow charging) the water will evaporate over time. I assume the batteries were exposed to very cold temps this past winter.

Your best bet for next time would be to remove the batteries in the fall and store them inside where it's warm. I don't use a battery "tender", but I slow charge mine in winter once a month.......seems to keep them up okay. The main thing to remember is to keep them out of the cold in winter.

Maybe you have a "draw" causing them to run down, or the computer system in the boat ran them dead after only 3 weeks of non-use. If your boat sits unused for a period of time, turn your battery switch off.

88 PS190
04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Definately in an area that's heated and not on concrete.

I think i prefer a computerized charger every so often to letting them sit and trickle