PDA

View Full Version : Identify my blower

trunderw
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
I just bought a used MC and I need to replace the blower...I went to a couple places but they don't seem to have one that will mount where I need to mount mine (in the back behind the seat thing). Any ideas what I have? (87 Prostar) Thanks

KnoxX2
04-24-2007, 05:49 PM
None ............ Anyone?

JKTX21
04-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Can you not make an aftermarket blower work in your application? Seems like you could fabricate a new bracket / mount if you can't find the exact blower you want. I've found sometimes you have to do a little tweaking when replacing parts on boats.

Skidim.com is always a good resource for parts.

trunderw
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
I suppose one could do that. The boat came without a blower in it -- the previous owner removed it and never replaced it...so I don't know what the old one even looks like, so I'm sorta working in the dark. Anyone have pics of theirs? tyia

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Do you still have hoses that the blower would connect to? They kind of look like flexible dryer vent hose.....I don't have any pix handy but my blower is in the bilge on the driver side of the engine. It just mount to a strap on the stringer. I would think just about any in-line type blower could be made to fit. Give SkiDim a call, they should be able to fix you up. I see a couple listed there for $23 and $25.

trunderw
04-24-2007, 11:02 PM
in the bottom of the engine compartment is a hose with nothing hooked up to it. in the rear of the boat, behind the removeable seat near the top is what I guess is the outlet of that hose, but also hooked to nothing. i was assuming that their might be some sort of connection that goes on the rear one along with some sort of flange mount blower. that would mean that there is no blower in the engine compartment. but like i said, i'm working completely in the dark.
so you're saying the blower goes in the engine compartment. if that's the case then i need some sort of hookup to go to the rear hose piece, because it just hangs there in the back... after work tomorrow i'll take some pics and post and maybe that would help...but there are two screw holes visible on the transom that i thought were for a flange mount blower .
any of that help?
it also occurs to me that there may be 2 blowers necessary, one for the engine compartment and one for the rear of the boat above the gas tank...is that possible?
thanks for the posts

trunderw
04-24-2007, 11:09 PM
jktx21 -- i looked at your pics and when your engine is lifted i can see the blower mounted on the stringers down there. I have a hose there but no blower, so that's at least one place i need it, i just have to make sure it's actually sending that air somewhere outside the boat :)

WTRSK1R
04-24-2007, 11:22 PM
The hose in the back should be connected to some sort of vent area in the transome. On my '92, there were black metal vent covers across the transome, and formed in the fiberglass behind the vent covers was a sort of air duct. If you had the rear seat out, you could see the gas tank, and above the gas tank the black vent hose connected to the vent channel in the fiberglass if I remember correctly. The key is that the blower in the engine compartment pushes any air that contains gas fumes out of the bilge area so that if there are any sparks the boat does not blow up.

Steve

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
The hose should lead to the stern.......the air from the blower exits out of the grills on the back of the boat. The blower sits in the middle of the bilge and pulls air from the intake under your windsheid or the vents on the side of the bow. The idea is to pull fresh air through the bilge and blow it out the back to vent any fumes that might build up and cause a fire/explosion.

trunderw
04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
i knew it was to keep my boat from exploding, i just didn't know where it was supposed to sit. from some pics i can see it sits in the engine compartment and pushes air out, as opposed to being mounted in the transom and pulling air out... my hose in the transom is just dangling, so i guess i'll have to figure out how to attach that to the vents back there. this will probably be an easy fix once i get into it, i just don't want to disable the boat for a weekend when i should be on the water. thanks for the help ya'll

jrcarte78
04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Here is a pic of my new blower from skidim. It's the 3" model. It mounted directly to the starboard stringer. The location(in front of motor) is not optimal, but I didn't really have any other options as there was no other place in my bilge to mount it. It will get the job done.

I also got new 3" hose from skidim. I ran this along the starboard stringer to the back of the boat and then routed it to the starboard rear vent.

Hope this helps.

jrcarte78
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Another of the hose.....

JKTX21
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
jktx21 -- i looked at your pics and when your engine is lifted i can see the blower mounted on the stringers down there. I have a hose there but no blower, so that's at least one place i need it, i just have to make sure it's actually sending that air somewhere outside the boat :)

YEP, there it is. I need to order some new vent line, it got torn apart from the Great Engine Lift of 2006!

trunderw
04-25-2007, 06:45 PM
OK so I went out and looked today. There are 2 hoses that come from the front that go into the engine compartment. From what I can see, there is only 1 leaving that and running towards the back. In the back I see 3 hoses. 1 hooked up to the top of the hull (looks like) and 2 other ones that aren't connected (assuming they come from the engine compartment and are supposed to vent out the transom). Does this make sense to anyone? I wonder if someone has just tried to rig something up in the past...

Thanks for the pics. I'm gonna go buy a blower and hook it up, I'll just feel where the air comes out and hook that one to the transom vent...

jrcarte78
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
There's also some good info in this thread:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15032&highlight=blower+hose

trunderw
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
good call, that thread was helpful, especially tmcno1's description

93ProStar205
05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
My 87 190 had a blower pulling air from the engine compartment through a blower hose on the starboard side of the motor running between the shaft and starboard exhaust. Went behind the tank, popped up on top and connected to the blower mounted to the fiberglass lip above the tank. Short hose went from the blower to the exhaust vent at the rear. Biggest problem was the old hose tended to crack, so I had to tape/reconnect a number of sections to repair the original duct work. Not the best design - my 1993 and 1997 both have the blowers relocated to the bilge. BTW, old Supras are the only boats I have seen with two blowers from the factory. . .