PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Ladders>>>>>

Mag_Red
01-27-2005, 06:20 AM
My only gripe I received last season, while boating, was the fact the boat doesn't have a boarding ladder. :rolleyes: I know......I know
So my question is.... has any one installed such a device on their boat? My 84 year old Father still likes to ski once a year :worthy: and my Mother will still get in the water, for a swim, every now and then, and frankly it is difficult for them to get on the platform. Any suggestions?????

sizzler
01-27-2005, 06:46 AM
davits.........
just trying to help :D

Lake_Tippy_Skier
01-27-2005, 07:59 AM
The SM-3 & SM-3X mount under the platform, then telescope out for use (http://windline.com/slidemount.html)

mgurley
01-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Permenent install or no?

Professor
01-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Mag, good question! Does the 'under platform' ladder cause any additional turbulence when the boat is under way?

Lake_Tippy_Skier
01-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Mag, good question! Does the 'under platform' ladder cause any additional turbulence when the boat is under way?

i would assume that it would under 15 mph.....or until the water starts to flow without hitting the platform

Mag_Red
01-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Permenent install or no?
Probably permanent :steering:

Professor
01-27-2005, 09:01 AM
- - - - - - - - - -

Mag_Red
01-27-2005, 09:03 AM
i would assume that it would under 15 mph.....or until the water starts to flow without hitting the platform From the looks of the ladders... I would say not. It doesn't look like it would protrude that far beneath the platform.

Mag_Red
01-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Looks like a good solution. I guess it is not temporary but that seems as if it would work best. I have had some small trick skiers ski below 15mph. I wonder if a fiberglass platform could be changed (maybe a "hatch" where the ladder could be placed when necessary but otherwise out of the way)?Mine is a teak platform.......looks like I might be the first guinea pig :D I'm surprised this has never come up. I have no problem getting on board, but some others I boat with aren't all that athletic :uglyhamme Sort of like people that can't get back on the tube once they fall off :rolleyes:

Professor
01-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Mag, thanks for bringing this up. I did not think about this when my own father (88) goes with me. There have been times when I did not understand why he hesitated getting in/out of the water. Communication?

Mag_Red
01-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Mag, thanks for bringing this up. I did not think about this when my own father (88) goes with me. There have been times when I did not understand why he hesitated getting in/out of the water. Communication?Could very well be. I know my Dad was really disappointed when he couldn't get up on one ski last Summer. :purplaugh After he got up on two ski, I asked him....." how many of your friends can do 1/2 the things you still do?" He took a minute to think about it, popped open a Bud light, and said "none that I can think of.....hell most of em are dead now!" ;)

Professor
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
- - - - - - - - - -

lakes Rick
01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Mag, just get out the drill and start drilling and screwing.. I am pretty sure you can get half of that right!!!!!!!

Farmer Ted
01-27-2005, 12:21 PM

I wouldn't think so as I can see my exhaust ports when I'm skiing.

Ron Grover
01-27-2005, 12:35 PM
As far as a ladder goes. I had a 1981 Stars and Stripes with a fiberglass platform. Wife had difficulty no matter how long I tried to teach her how to get out. I got a telescoping ladder from Overtons, 3 step. Drilled through the rear corner to mount the ladder. I was worried about the added stress on the fiberglass so I put a piece of 3/4" cca plywood under the platform bolts going through the plywood. You could not see the plywood due to the curled lip of the fiberglass. Had no problem with it at all.

When you are moving at speed the platform is no where near the water. I was scared of it flipping over while moving in the water but never had an incidence of ladder flipping into the water. However when trailering I was worried about that so I always strapped it down so it was impossible to flip over.

Mag_Red
01-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Mag, just get out the drill and start drilling and screwing.. I am pretty sure you can get half of that right!!!!!!!I always thought they were the same thing :D