PDA

View Full Version : HO Triumph size...

83hurstguy
04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
My Dad and I share a slalom ski, as we normally only ski one or two weeks out of the year. We both free ski, 28-30 mph... on a 20 year old 68" O'Brien World Team. It's time for a new ski, and it looks like the HO Triumph is exactly the ski we would be looking for skill level wise... but we were wondering about the size...

I am 6'2" and 160 lbs, he is 6'6" and 195 lbs. I know sharing a ski is far from optimal for the two of us... I will probably buy myself an even better ski in a year or two when I get better.

The 67" Triumph is rated for 160-200 lbs, and the 69" is rated for 190-240 lbs. I am worried that the 67" will force him to ski at 32+ mph (since he is on the heavier side of the weight range)... he skis fairly conservatively these days, as he does not want to cause himself a serious injury and never ski again... but at the same time, I am worried that I'll be struggling to turn a 69" ski that is also wider than normal. I figured worst case I buy myself a ski in another year or two that is a smaller size....

Opinions? Comments? Thanks for taking the time to read! :cool:

Ric
04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
do yall ski a course? If not, go with the 69 IMO

83hurstguy
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
the lake we normally ski on no longer has a course on it. So 95% of the time, no.

Essentially, if the 67" Triumph would allow him to get up about as easily as his 68" world team and let him run the same speed @ 28-30 mph (since the Triumph is wider than the World Team), I don't think he'd have a problem with it... we just don't care to make an expensive mistake, lol.

Thanks for the advice!

Ric
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I have the 69 triumph and it is worlds different from your world team ski
I got off a vengeance and the triumph is much wider stabler, yet a bit harder to turn than the vengeance... it will be an eye opening experience to get off that old ski no matter which length you pick

83hurstguy
04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Interesting! Thanks again! Really looking forward to the new ski. I have problems getting the World Team to turn, as does my Dad.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I have the 69 triumph and it is worlds different from your world team ski
I got off a vengeance and the triumph is much wider stabler, yet a bit harder to turn than the vengeance... it will be an eye opening experience to get off that old ski no matter which length you pick
I notice the same thing Ric. I also have my 67 Vengeance, and I ski, the 69 Triumph, and I have a difficult time turning it compared to the Vengeance, BUT I never really spent alot of time tweaking it either. The mayor skis it now. The Vengeance turns and burns compared to that Triumph. Ya know, my Monza is an impressive ski, but dammit that Vengeance is a great ski! Why did you get rid of your Vengeance? Didnt you get a Monza too?:confused: I didnt know you got a Triumph....:confused:

Hurstguy, I think you will be happy with the triumph. I do like that one I have, its a fine ski! I am sure if I spent more time with mine, I would be able to dial it in very well, but the Mayor skis on it now, so I leave it set up for him. He adopted my 69 Triumph and gave me his 71 Triumph for my "boat" ski. Even trade....although both are in the boat 24/7