PDA

View Full Version : What to do btwn KY & DE

jlf
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Well everyone was so helpful on my trip to KY & TN a few years ago, I am once again looking forward to your help with this vacation. I will be heading to Lee's Ford Marina to join the MM3 group in Sept. once we leave there we have four days to kill and find activities to entertain ourselves until we arrive in Dover Deleware at the Monster Mile race track for a weekend of NASCAR.

I am looking for some ideas of things to see or places to go. We are not going to have our boat with and really after spending three days at MM3 we really do not have to continue with water related activities. We have thought about heading to Washington D.C. for some sight seeing. Never been to DE so not sure what that state has to offer. I thought about some fishing in the ocean. We enjoy pretty much anything from theater to hiking so any ideas would be appreciated. We do only have four days, we need to be at the track by thurs evening.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I vote for DC. Me and my buds went there sight seeing when I bought my boat. Great time! I wish we have MORE time to see everything. There is SO much history and cool things to see there. I highly recommend it. It is rich in history, you can just feel the heritage around you. its quite amazing. you could easily spend 2 or 3 days there sightseeing.

You could always drive up to New York and sight see too. LOTS of stuff to do and see there.

Just ideas....:)

:twocents:

peason
04-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Rehoboth Beach in Delaware is a great area, if you want to spend time on the beach. http://www.rehoboth.com/
Sight seeing in DC would be a great time too.

shepherd
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Rehoboth Beach in Delaware is a great area, if you want to spend time on the beach. http://www.rehoboth.com/
Sight seeing in DC would be a great time too.

Having grown up in DC, I have to say it's a great place to visit (just don't want to live there). Hotels can be expensive but there are a lot of free museums and other sites to visit.

Another option is to take the southern route: Go through Norfolk, VA, across the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel (impressive, long bridge), and up the Eastern Shore to Delaware. You can stop at Williamsburg, VA and see the colonial town and maybe stay an extra day to visit Busch Gardens - real nice Europe-themed park. Shouldn't be too busy on a weekday. My wife and I did that once after going to the Charlotte race. You can do a harbor tour of Norfolk/Newport News, which is pretty impressive - biggest Naval facility in the world. Or you could go to Virginia Beach (better than the MD or DE beaches IMO), or stop in Ocean City, MD on your way north if you like the boardwalk-related stuff. Rehobeth is pretty good too.

Too bad you'll only have 4 days!

Rockman
04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
after spending three days at MM3 we really do not have to continue with water related activities...

Shame on you! :D

RexDog1
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Las Vegas is always worth the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:toast:

It is the drive home that sucks :(

jimmer2880
04-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Having grown up in DC, I have to say it's a great place to visit (just don't want to live there). Hotels can be expensive but there are a lot of free museums and other sites to visit.

Another option is to take the southern route: Go through Norfolk, VA, across the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel (impressive, long bridge), and up the Eastern Shore to Delaware. You can stop at Williamsburg, VA and see the colonial town and maybe stay an extra day to visit Busch Gardens - real nice Europe-themed park. Shouldn't be too busy on a weekday. My wife and I did that once after going to the Charlotte race. You can do a harbor tour of Norfolk/Newport News, which is pretty impressive - biggest Naval facility in the world. Or you could go to Virginia Beach (better than the MD or DE beaches IMO), or stop in Ocean City, MD on your way north if you like the boardwalk-related stuff. Rehobeth is pretty good too.

I'll 2nd Shepard's opinions

jlf
04-25-2007, 08:36 AM

some excellent suggestions. I sort of think we are leaning going to DC, the hubby has never been there and it's been 20 years since I've been there. I was only thinking DC might be overhelming for just a few days, cause if I remember correctly there is a lot of cool things to see.

jlf
04-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Shame on you! :D
I didn't say they were out of the question, I mean we will have all our skiing gear with us anyway. I was only looking for a much broader scope of ideas.

sizzler
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
I vote for DC. Me and my buds went there sight seeing when I bought my boat. Great time! I wish we have MORE time to see everything. There is SO much history and cool things to see there. I highly recommend it. It is rich in history, you can just feel the heritage around you. its quite amazing. you could easily spend 2 or 3 days there sightseeing.

You could always drive up to New York and sight see too. LOTS of stuff to do and see there.

Just ideas....:)

:twocents:
UMP......if you want history and heritage...then you gotta come to my home town.......

milkmania
04-25-2007, 10:31 AM
UMP......if you want history and heritage...then you gotta come to my home town.......

well, that ain't no ****;)

shepherd
04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
some excellent suggestions. I sort of think we are leaning going to DC, the hubby has never been there and it's been 20 years since I've been there. I was only thinking DC might be overhelming for just a few days, cause if I remember correctly there is a lot of cool things to see.

Then DC would be an excellent choice. You can see a lot there in 3 or 4 days - definitely all the highlights. Spend one or two days visiting the museums and memorials around the Mall. They are all free. Check out Adam's Morgan one night for dinner and night life. Another night you can go to Georgetown for more of the same. Georgetown also has a pretty nice riverfront complex. There are a lot of cool music venues in town, too. Check the Kennedy Center's schedule too. Great venue for shows and concerts, sometimes free.

If you take your time and don't try to see everything, it won't be overwhelming at all.

kycat2007
04-27-2007, 03:12 PM
After MagIII you could go to Gatlinburg for a few days and hang out in the mountains. You could stop at Virginia Beach for a few days because you can drive up from there to Dover. You could also drive thru the Civil War trails stopping at Gettysburg, Antitiem, and where they signed the surrender. You could drive up to Philly and go downtown and see the liberty bell and where the constitution was signed. just some ideas

jlf
04-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I think we are going to plan on driving to DC and seeing some of the highlights. I've been there but it's been a few years.

Things to see:
Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson memorials
Vietnam Wall
I'd like to visit one or two of the Smithsonion's
I think there is a US mint in or near DC
Arleton Cemetary, changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldiers, Kennedy's flame

Anyone know if you can tour the White House anymore? I know we did years ago, but that was pre 9-11.

jimmer2880
04-30-2007, 07:03 AM
The new National air & space museum over by the Dulles Airport is very impressive I've been told.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

Also, I hear the Korean War memorial is a humbling experience.

Looks like they still do tours. http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/tours/

If you want to grab a ski ride between DC & NJ, I'd be glad to give you and yours a pull as well as a nice relaxing evening by the river.

jlf
05-01-2007, 09:43 AM
The new National air & space museum over by the Dulles Airport is very impressive I've been told.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

Also, I hear the Korean War memorial is a humbling experience.

Looks like they still do tours. http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/tours/

If you want to grab a ski ride between DC & NJ, I'd be glad to give you and yours a pull as well as a nice relaxing evening by the river.
I don't recall a Korean War memorial from DC, might have to check it out, they are all humbling when you see all the names of people who died fighting for our freedom. Is that museum part of the Smithsonion's or something different? I am such a rookie at searching the internet do you know how long I looked through DC web pages looking for white house information and I never once thought of typing in White House to see what came up. Duh. We will have all skiing equipment with us so maybe we'll just have to take you up on the offer for a pull, or at the very least a relaxing evening by the river.

How far are you from DC? Or how far are you from Severn, MD? I have an uncle that lives there.

jimmer2880
05-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Korean War memorial site (Part of www.tourofdc.org (http://www.tourofdc.org)) - http://www.tourofdc.org/monuments/KoreanWarMemorial/

It is fairly new (within the past 10 years I believe). It's in the "mall" area where the Washington Monument, etc are.

I live about 1.5 - 2 hours outside of DC (depending on where you are coming from). However, (according to Mapquest), I am about 1.5 hours North West of Severn, MD. Pretty much where interstates 81 & 70 intersect.

LakePirate
05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
After MagIII you could go to Gatlinburg for a few days and hang out in the mountains.

Espically if you have a low rider and are in need of leather goods.

Perhaps you could get an airbrushed t-shirt as well.....of course if you want one of those Shep could send you one....

maristarman
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
You can still do white house tours but you have to set it up through your local congressmans (congresspersons?) office. Did one last summer.

You need to set it up well in advance, so they have time to do a background check on the people going. You can't bring anything with you on the tour either. So don't plan on bringing a camera, etc...

Korean War Memorial is cool. It was touching. On your list of musts you've got to add the World War II Memorial. That was truly humbling.

On your way up to Delaware, if you want to keep with the History theme, stop by Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Fort McHenry is there, which is the Fort the Brits were attacking which inspired the Star Spangled Banner. Pretty cool tour there.

(Sorry Sizzler, No hard feelings.)

jlf
05-08-2007, 10:01 AM
thanks for the info, so I'm thinking we'll skip the White House Tour. Add Korean War Memorial to the list of things to do. The hubby is getting excited about this, he's never been there. Surprises me he's into the historical things. On the Smithsonian Museums. Anybody got a favorite or one they really enjoyed?

sizzler
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
You can still do white house tours but you have to set it up through your local congressmans (congresspersons?) office. Did one last summer.

You need to set it up well in advance, so they have time to do a background check on the people going. You can't bring anything with you on the tour either. So don't plan on bringing a camera, etc...

Korean War Memorial is cool. It was touching. On your list of musts you've got to add the World War II Memorial. That was truly humbling.

On your way up to Delaware, if you want to keep with the History theme, stop by Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Fort McHenry is there, which is the Fort the Brits were attacking which inspired the Star Spangled Banner. Pretty cool tour there.

(Sorry Sizzler, No hard feelings.)

absolutely not.....every time i go over there i claim a little back......:D

i will come and stake my claim soon....the US of A will have a bit of the sizzler again....

shepherd
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll second (or third) the Korean War memorial. Very cool, especially at night. It's down near the Lincoln Memorial, across the pond from the Vietnam Memorial. In fact, IMO, all the memorials are better seen at night, with the lights shining on them. The view of the Washington Memorial and the Capitol Building from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial is awesome, especially at night.

If you're in the Severn area, you should do an evening in Annapolis if you have time. Stroll around the city docks area (watch the boats cruise up and down ego alley) and have dinner at one of the historic inns, like Middleton Tavern.

jlf
05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
At night, would've never thought of that. Good idea, it will give us things to do and we can spend the afternoon doing things that close for the evenings. I've never seen any of DC at night. I was out there on a school trip so we were tucked safely away in our hotels by dusk.
Most of the memorials are all right in the same general vacinity, right? Will we be able to navigate DC fairly easily or would we be better off walking or taking the bus? Again I was on a school trip so I can't recall how we got around DC, did we walk or did the bus we were on take us everywhere.

beef
05-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Do not go off the beaten path in DC at night. No personal experience here, but we do live close enough to get a feel for the neighborhood thru the news. I would think the designated tourist areas are safe, but not knowing the area you should be careful. Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but the district did re-elect Marion Barry...

shepherd
05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Just find a place to park and walk. All the main memorials, museums, and other sites are within walking distance of the downtown mall. It's about 2 miles long, though, so be prepared to walk a lot. At night, parking is generally no problem around the mall, so you can drive from one end to the other. Assuming the Washington Monument is in the middle, the museums are to the east (toward the Capitol). The Memorials are generally to the west (toward the river)

While there are some bad 'hoods in DC, like in any other city, we've always felt safe walking around town, even at night. Just don't go down any dark alleys. :cool:

jlf
07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm bringing my vacation plans back from the dead anyone else want to add some suggestions?

Leroy
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Old Town near Alexandria is great place to go eat dinner.

jlf
07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I can't remember if it was somebody from here or where that mentioned something about some beautiful beach and it wasn't Virginia Beach. I re-read the whole thread looking for it but I didn't see it. I believe they said there was a coast road we could take up to DC and this beach was along the way. Said the drive was so beautiful...anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

atlfootr
07-10-2007, 11:04 AM
In fact, IMO, all the memorials are better seen at night, with the lights shining on them. The view of the Washington Memorial and the Capitol Building from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial is awesome, especially at night.Be sure to take lots of pictures for us to see and post 'em upon your return.

shepherd
07-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't remember if it was somebody from here or where that mentioned something about some beautiful beach and it wasn't Virginia Beach. I re-read the whole thread looking for it but I didn't see it. I believe they said there was a coast road we could take up to DC and this beach was along the way. Said the drive was so beautiful...anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Nope, there is no such road that leads to DC. But there are some scenic country roads leading into DC from the west - try Rte 211/29 through Luray and Shenandoah Natl Park if want to get off the interstate.

As for beautiful beaches, the person may have been talking about Assateague Island which is uninhabited and has the wild ponies on the beach. But it's pretty far out of your way (couple hours) if going to Delaware from DC.