PDA

View Full Version : weak platform

whirli
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I own a '82 mc. The ski platform is starting to pull away from the boat. On one side everything is real tight and on the other you can tell the board on the inside of the boat where the lag screws drill into is rotted out. Does anyone know what type of wood I should use to replace it? Bonding marine plywood together, with wood flour and epoxy, or is there a 2xsomthing that can be fiberglassed in it's place? I was thinking maybe treated lumber as well.

88 PS190
04-23-2007, 05:37 PM
So your brackets are pulling out of the hull?

If I recall that is a bear of a job, where you pull the tank and start carving away to access the back side of the mount then replace the block by glassing in some aluminum plate and then bolt it back up and glass it over.

Once you access the backside it should be more apparent what needs to be done.

richies
04-24-2007, 12:43 AM
whirli

Im afraid to say this is a common problem. We had it on our 84S&S. Have a good seach on "platform bolt" and "platform loose" etc and you will find useful threads such as those below.

The big debate is whether to bog up the existing holes one way or another and redrill/mount, or to drill right through and put a plate on the other side of the transom. The latter option is complicated by the need to cut an access hole into the floor, or potentially drill at the right angle to avoid the floor.

We went with the bolt through solution - but paid a fibreglass dude to do it @ approx USD250.

R

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5012&highlight=platform+loose

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3818&highlight=platform+bolt

whirli
04-24-2007, 09:29 AM
thanks, appreciate the advice. I might take a look at it and if it looks to complicated, or time consuming I might take it to a fiberglass shop

sberry3827
04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I own a '82 mc. The ski platform is starting to pull away from the boat. On one side everything is real tight and on the other you can tell the board on the inside of the boat where the lag screws drill into is rotted out. Does anyone know what type of wood I should use to replace it? Bonding marine plywood together, with wood flour and epoxy, or is there a 2xsomthing that can be fiberglassed in it's place? I was thinking maybe treated lumber as well.
Whirli, I'm getting ready to conquer the same task. Check out this thread:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12811&highlight=swim+platform

This is the route I'm goin. It looks like the top two bolts on the brackets will come through right above the floor. If you replace these and keep the lag bolts on the bottom, I think you'll be alright. The top brackets take most of the punishment. I havent been able to get to my boat in storage yet but this is the first step when it comes out. Let us know how your's comes along.

Bruce Carr
04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Your '82 has a wood floor like my early '83. I believe you will find that if you drill the top two bolt holes through the transom that they will come out just above the floor line (You might angle the drill bit up slightly). This was the case with my '83. You can drill a small hole (mabe 1/8" diameter) through the transom in one of the existing bolts holes to confirm where the hole comes through.

I installed stainless bolts (with nuts and washers on the inside) and filled the lower holes with epoxy, redrilled and installed the original lag bolts. This has held up for at least 15 years now.

It is easier to do this with the tank removed but I think I managed to get my fingers in there to install the nuts with the tank in place. Of course I was alot more flexible and patient back then.

83MC
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
It's not that difficult. I installed "back plates" for the top two bolts on mine last fall. It is rock solid now. I was able to use the original bottom lag bolts... Let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12811&highlight=swim+platform