PDA

View Full Version : Which side for boom?

87MCProstar
04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I currently have the boom set up on the passenger side of the boat, because it is usually just skiier, driver + observer. It seems to help with weight displacement. But I have seen a bunch of videos where the boom is always off the driver's side. Is there a side where its supposed to be on or better to be on? Thanks for the info.
Tim

uncleboo
04-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Passenger side (unless you have enough ballast to support the weight of both footer and driver).

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I have always seen them used on the passenger side. I put mine on the passenger side. Just seems to make sense for weight balance.

loeweb
04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
mine was on the passenger side as well. this winter I moved it to the drivers side because 1. whenever it is used there are more than three of us in th boat, and 2. The universal adjuster is out of the way behind the drivers seat.

88 PS190
04-23-2007, 02:01 PM
passanger side seeps to be best on the MC,

putting it on the drivers side allows the driver to communicate with the footer. important for say coaching.

Sodar
04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I used to put mine on the driver's side, because of the counter clockwise pattern needed on our small lake. If I put the boom out the passanger side, it would drop and almost drag in the water at the turns.

barefoot
04-23-2007, 02:45 PM
passanger side for me.

milkmania
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm going to try the one I got from SkiDog on each side with the kids....

the bar behind the driver's seat and coaching seems like a better plan

what about the short handleand rope you see on the barefoot booms?
are they just breaking down a regular ski rope, or using a modified rope/handle?

loeweb
04-23-2007, 03:12 PM
It's a special rope say a 15 inch handle. You can use a regular 5 foot slalom bridle though.

milkmania
04-23-2007, 03:14 PM
It's a special rope say a 15 inch handle. You can use a regular 5 foot slalom bridle though.
thanks;)

I've got an old rope/handle I can take apart

87MCProstar
04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
thats what i figured, but thanks for the info everyone

jimmer2880
04-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Driver's side for me, after many years of having it on the passenger's side. We put it there so the kids wouldn't hit their noggins on the boom when they were sitting in the observers' seat. But, then I got really used to being able to see the skier/footer when coaching newbies. I doubt I'll ever move it back to the passenger's side.

tex
04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm going to try the one I got from SkiDog on each side with the kids....

the bar behind the driver's seat and coaching seems like a better plan

what about the short handleand rope you see on the barefoot booms?
are they just breaking down a regular ski rope, or using a modified rope/handle?

Pigtail.......

87MCProstar
04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
For the people who have it on the driver's side, what do you use to balance the weight out to keep the boat flat? Because having it on that side seems like a great idea when you are teaching newbies or learning new tricks.
Tim

loeweb
04-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Again, when I'm out there is always at least three of us. If teaching a newbie, put the extra person on the opposite side of the boat. once they are up and on the water, the weight isn't that much of a problem.

87MCProstar
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM
nice thanks

jimmer2880
04-25-2007, 07:46 AM
When I'm out, there's always 3 of us (usually 4, including my 4 year old). So, the extra person balances it out.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Interesting, I like the variety of responses. :)

JohnnyB
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM
What models will it actually fit on the drivers side. There's not enough room between the pylon and the drivers seat to get it out that way on most boats......

#47of100TeamMC
04-25-2007, 09:32 AM
What models will it actually fit on the drivers side. There's not enough room between the pylon and the drivers seat to get it out that way on most boats......

I second that...:popcorn:

TMCNo1
04-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Do like Milk did, stand it straight up, then there is no decision as to which side!:eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I can put mine on the driver side but have to pull the driver's seat almost all the way forward.....its a bit cramped behind the wheel and a pain when getting in and out of the seat.

milkmania
04-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Do like Milk did, stand it straight up, then there is no decision as to which side!:rolleyes: :D

I was very wary typing Skylon Fat Pole into google:o

http://www.shuswapsnb.com/Skylon052pcFatPole.jpg

uawaterskier
04-26-2007, 01:37 AM
I was very wary typing Skylon Fat Pole into google:o

http://www.shuswapsnb.com/Skylon052pcFatPole.jpg
hahaha:D i bet you were VERY wary

6 balls
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
we use drivers side because we often use it to teach people to ski and with it on the passenger side it can be hard to hear what the driver is telling the skier and sometemes you get other people in the boat telling them to do the wrong thing

79stars&stripes
04-27-2007, 12:59 AM
I have seen both, but as a driver i prefer mine on the port (passenger) side of the boat for turning reasons.

jkski
04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Drivers side. Like many have already said, it makes coaching a lot easier, and communicating with the driver much easier. Depending on your level of skiing and what all you wish to accomplish, in the long run you'll find it better on the driver side. If you get into footin' and start learning to come up backwards, it is almost a must, so that the driver can see your feet placement and throttle accordingly.

As far as weight goes, the best thing I have found, other than extra people, is a fat sac. If you have one in the rear of the boat for wakeboarders, it can easily be moved to the side for boomers without being emptied. A 250lb. would do the trick, but 500lb is fine. When you do this, it allows the opposite side of the boat to rise out of the water higher and through the chine spray behind your boomer.

Good luck, you'll love it.

chudson
04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Booms on the driver side as has been said for instruction and I like to slide the drivers seat back as far as possible and sit in the middle sort of mail man style facing the skier when it's just me and the skier some of the time, and thats either real early or late when there are not alot of boats out!!!

87MCProstar
05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks, changing the side the boom is on. Took off the seat to slide forward but found out it was rusted and a mess. So now I have to wait for my new slider to come in before I am able to try the new set up.
Tim