PDA

View Full Version : Propeller Strut

Litespeed
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Got the fake-a-lake, changed plugs, oil, etc.. Started the water and boat started. Water was coming out the back everything good. Thought I would check the propeller spin/balance etc. Put in gear and loud screeching noise! Took it out of gear, tried it one more time, ouch, another screech, took it out of gear. Turned the motor off. Sounded like it was coming out of prop so I turn the prop and it is tight to turn and makes a weird sound from the strut. I sprayed some Tri-Flow on both ends of strut and it loosens up immediately and does not make any noise.
Had the bearings in the strut dried up over the winter? This is on a 1994 190 Prostar. Everything seems ok now, is there anything more I should do?

dmayer84
04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Water lubricates the strut, dont put it in gear out of the water unless you have another hose to keep it wet.

Litespeed
04-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks! I pobably had it on for 5 secs. twice. Think I damaged it? Do you think the Tri flow was a bad idea?

dmayer84
04-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I dont think you damaged it, but some others should be around soon and let you know.

Sodar
04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I pobably had it on for 5 secs. twice. Think I damaged it? Do you think the Tri flow was a bad idea?
No, tri-flow will be gone the first time you dump it in the water. You are fine and did not cause any damage.