PDA

View Full Version : Brake resevoir empty and rusted

boyd
04-23-2007, 07:43 AM
I opened up the cap to my brake resevoir and got what I expected, Since the really didn't think the brakes were working. I got the trailer last year and only take it a couple of miles to the ramp.
Well, when I opened the resevoir it had a bunch of rust inside it and no fluid. What do I do? How do I clean it out and what do I do next? Is it still able to be used after I clean it and put fluid in it?
Any help would be appreciated.

milkmania
04-23-2007, 08:17 AM
I opened up the cap to my brake resevoir and got what I expected, Since the really didn't think the brakes were working. I got the trailer last year and only take it a couple of miles to the ramp.
Well, when I opened the resevoir it had a bunch of rust inside it and no fluid. What do I do? How do I clean it out and what do I do next? Is it still able to be used after I clean it and put fluid in it?
Any help would be appreciated.

not the answer to your problems..... but it's a place to start

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-12671.html

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-1053.html

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-470.html

what year is your trailer?
what year and model is your boat?

dmayer84
04-23-2007, 08:25 AM
I had the same thing, really low brake fluid, and rust in the master cylinder. I got a new tounge and actuator from MC under warranty, but I'm doing the work myself. I'll be installing the new actuator soon. I'll take pictures of the process and I'm hoping that the brakes will work with the new actuator.

TMCNo1
04-23-2007, 01:16 PM
I had the same thing, really low brake fluid, and rust in the master cylinder. I got a new tounge and actuator from MC under warranty, but I'm doing the work myself. I'll be installing the new actuator soon. I'll take pictures of the process and I'm hoping that the brakes will work with the new actuator.

Are you also replacing the brake lines and having the calipers rebuilt or replaced? Just replacing the actuator will not replace/cure the rusty contaminated fluid in the rest of the system since the old actuator probably pumped the contaminated fluid toward and into the calipers during it's dying days.

dmayer84
04-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm hoping that I will be able to get the rest of the system working and just able to bleed everything out. You can always hope.

I really want to get the boat off the trailer while I do it. Just no place to put it right now.

captain planet
04-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Found the same on my trailer recently. I had a wheel cylinder fail and leak all the fluid out, and my reservior was empty. I replaced my wheel cylinders, bled the system, and the actuator at the tongue was fine. I towed my boat the other day and it was nice to have brakes again. Unless you have water in your reservior, you may be alright.

Kevin 89MC
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Had the same thing happen to mine a few years back. I took it in to a local auto brake parts store, and they had an exact replacement reservoir in stock. I'd give that a try. I put it on, bled the whole system, worked great for a few years. I did just notice a bit of rust in there again, I may try to rig up some kind of shield over it, gotta fgure out how to keep the water out.
Good luck,
Kevin

WTRSK1R
04-23-2007, 08:48 PM
If you have ever rebuilt wheel cylinders for a car, it is about the same process. It will really depend on the condition of the Master Cylinder, and the wheel cylinders. I had a similiar issue on my first MC, and the Master Cylinder was pitted so far that even though I had a cylinder hone, I could not get rid of the pits. I replaced the Master cylinder, cleaned the wheel cylinders, pumped brake fluid through the lines until I got clear fluid at each wheel cylinder and then bled it. I flushed the lines before pulling the wheel cylinders apart so that I knew it was all clear when I put everything back together. It is a time consuming, but not complicated process. I spent more time with the hone on the darn master cylinder then I did on the rest of the process. After doing the whole thing, I had great brakes again, and it lasted for as long as I owned the boat. (about 3 more seasons)

One thing to point out, is brakes are a closed system, so if you master cylinder resevoir is empty, you have a leak somewhere. Mine ended up being in the long brake line that runs down the channnel of the trailer to the axel. Mastercraft used to use plain steel brake line, and put it inside a rubber or vinyl tube to protect it. It made mine rust through about half way down the channel. Its not easy to find a 16 foot piece of brake line in local stores.

Good Luck.

Steve

TMCNo1
04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
If you have ever rebuilt wheel cylinders for a car, it is about the same process. It will really depend on the condition of the Master Cylinder, and the wheel cylinders. I had a similiar issue on my first MC, and the Master Cylinder was pitted so far that even though I had a cylinder hone, I could not get rid of the pits. I replaced the Master cylinder, cleaned the wheel cylinders, pumped brake fluid through the lines until I got clear fluid at each wheel cylinder and then bled it. I flushed the lines before pulling the wheel cylinders apart so that I knew it was all clear when I put everything back together. It is a time consuming, but not complicated process. I spent more time with the hone on the darn master cylinder then I did on the rest of the process. After doing the whole thing, I had great brakes again, and it lasted for as long as I owned the boat. (about 3 more seasons)

One thing to point out, is brakes are a closed system, so if you master cylinder resevoir is empty, you have a leak somewhere. Mine ended up being in the long brake line that runs down the channnel of the trailer to the axel. Mastercraft used to use plain steel brake line, and put it inside a rubber or vinyl tube to protect it. It made mine rust through about half way down the channel. Its not easy to find a 16 foot piece of brake line in local stores.
Good Luck.

Steve

S/S brake line kits are readily available from most any trailer builder or trailer parts place like Champion, Dorsey among others and most auto parts can order them for you.
Here is the Champion link as a start, http://www.championtrailers.com/brkparts.html#brake%20tubing

dmayer84
04-23-2007, 09:28 PM
First coat of paint on the new tounge.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/dmayer84/de-winterizing/DSC01301.jpg

boyd
04-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys.

Sodar
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
First coat of paint on the new tounge.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/dmayer84/de-winterizing/DSC01301.jpg

They gave you a new actuator tube too?? Was your original one, different from the new one??

dmayer84
04-23-2007, 11:05 PM
They gave you a new actuator tube too?? Was your original one, different from the new one??

Yeah, new tube also, Actuator came new in box with the tounge. It mounts up different than the old actuator, only reason I could guess why I got it all.