PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Engine Flushing

dh_bennison
04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
I have a 1996 205 with an LT1 engine. For the next few months the boat will be kept on the water.

I want to be able to flush the engine with a hose pipe as the water can be abit salty at times (we are on a tidal river 15 miles inland so the salt levels depend upon the amount of rainfall and the size of the tide etc).

Are their any flushing kits on the market which I can fit to the boat (bareing in mind that it will be on the water when I flush it, not on the trailer). If not where is the best place before the impellor on the cooling system to insert a hose.

Thanks

dh_bennison
04-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I have just been looking on line and seen the Perko Fresh Water Flush Kit. Basically you cut a section of the inlet pipe out and insert the device which allows you to connect a hose pipe and flush the engine from the hose.

I would like to order one today but as I am at work I cannot measure the diameter of my inlet pipe. Do any of you guys know the diameter so I can order one straight away? Just to confirm I have 205 with the LT1 engine and I know the inlet pipe has never been changed so its the standard one.

Thanks
Dave

Chief
04-23-2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/7-MARPAC%20PRODUCTS.htm

Look for the external flush connection. It's about $20 bucks and it's stainless not chromed brass like the perko and it will save you about $40. Part # 7-0418

This does not answer you inlet question, but this will make for a nice external connection when you get inlet dimension. Most likley a 1 1/4" inlet but I had a 99 Prostar 205 that had a 1" inlet hose. It should be on the actual hose.

formosa
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
My 1995 200VRS with LT-1 has a 1" ID hose. To run the boat out of the water - I went to Home Depot and bought a female garden hose connector to 3/4" FIP (brass), and then a 3/4" to 1" adapter followed by a 1" grey PVC barbed hose piece. I disconnect the inlet hose and insert the PVC hose insert. This may or may not work while the boat is in the water as the raw water intake may take in water (if you are on a lift then it would not be a problem of course).

Jim@BAWS
05-15-2007, 06:42 PM
DO NOT RUN AN LT-1 IN SALT WATER

You will regret it !!!!
Aluminum heads and steel blocks do no like salt

PS Unless you are using closed loop cooling DO NOT DO IT !!!

Jim@BAWS

Jorski
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
If you must go near salt water, you need at the very least to convert to a closed cooling system. At least that way the salt water won't get to the aluminum heads.