PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Question

chevy08bud
04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I have seen on this site a few times about applying grease or lube on the impeller when installing a new one. I'm guessing that you are applying this to the shaft/gear that the impeller is driven by so that when you have to change impeller it is not a pain in the arse. I just pulled my impeller but it was a major pain. Ended up removing the impeller housing bracket and swinging the housing around so that I could use channel locks on either side of the impeller. I did try the paint can opener trick, but did not want to grab anything until I had pulled the impeller out part of the way with the pliers. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to put the new impeller in and get this thing ready to go. If you do use grease on the impeller shaft, what are you using?

TMCNo1
04-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I have seen on this site a few times about applying grease or lube on the impeller when installing a new one. I'm guessing that you are applying this to the shaft/gear that the impeller is driven by so that when you have to change impeller it is not a pain in the arse. I just pulled my impeller but it was a major pain. Ended up removing the impeller housing bracket and swinging the housing around so that I could use channel locks on either side of the impeller. I did try the paint can opener trick, but did not want to grab anything until I had pulled the impeller out part of the way with the pliers. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to put the new impeller in and get this thing ready to go. If you do use grease on the impeller shaft, what are you using?

Any kind of grease on the shaft and inside the hub will be helpful. I have Lubrimatic Anti-Corrosion and Wheel Bearing grease, but it will wash away over time as the pump works. I just spray the inside of the pump housing and the exterior of the impeller with plain old aerosol silicone and twist it in clockwise with the palm of my hand, till it drops on the shaft, place the washer in the shaft and reinstall the cover with gasket.

PE4ME
04-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Petroleum based grease/lub etc WILL break down rubber/plastic over time. Silicon is best; however, in the water saturated environment I am not sure how long it will be able to effectively break the impeller down. On such an important piece, I not sure I would take chances.
Not looking forward to pulling mine out this spring.

FlatBoard
04-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Just changed mine. I soaked it in some soapy water (used dishsoap)..

That's what the mechanic at the dealer told me to do...Easy in

Tom Wortham
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Side question... How often do you change your impeller?

chevy08bud
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Just bought the boat, so it is my first time relpacing the impeller. Got some lube that should work and we'll see how hard it is next time to extract.

BrianM
04-30-2007, 11:06 AM

Every spring regardless of the number of hours.