PDA

View Full Version : engine/trans/propellershaft allignment??

84 stars-n-stripes
04-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Motor mounts are loose on my 1984 351 pcm
I have the velvet 1:1 drive
its way off and i think its putting a bind on the shaft!
has anyone ever worked on this ???? i could use a better brain to help me along the way!
thanks ~judd

88 PS190
04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
yep.

First step is to unbolt the coupler between the shaft and the trans (btw this post isn't mastercraft in your area so maintanence section is where you want it)

Now you have the shaft loose you need to find the center since it can move up down and side to side so push it down measure, lift up, measure and sling it in the dead center.

Then the idea is to adjust the engine and trans so they are cocentric to the shaft, you want them to be as perfect as possible to that, then you check that the coupling has I believe .003 or less clearance at all places around as you adjust it back and forth.

Its not the most enjoyable job, particularly on the old rusty hardware.

TMCNo1
04-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Motor mounts are loose on my 1984 351 pcm
I have the velvet 1:1 drive
its way off and i think its putting a bind on the shaft!
has anyone ever worked on this ???? i could use a better brain to help me along the way!
thanks ~judd

You may want to get a moderator to move this thread to "Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics", under "Engine and Drivetrain". Very few people will see it here and it is already being discussed there anyway. You can also do a advanced search under the words "Shaft alignment" and there are several threads that cover the process and what others have done or do.