PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angle Crash

cmack
04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Just saw on CNN that one Blue Angel crashed at a airshow in SC. The pilot died.
What made me mad -- The plane impacted on this guy's property. He is on the news saying that his knee and back were injured. And that he spent three hours in hospital. My impression is he is just after $$. Sorry to say that. The pilot is dead. Not a word about him. Just -- ooh my knee hurts. The pilot prob died trying to keep the jet out of this guys house.
It is probably something very scary but he is still alive -- and should be thankful for that.

Sorry for the rant.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the pilots family.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I just seen this on CNN.com now. WOW!:( Very sad. my thoughts go out to the pilots family. I have seen the blue angels perform and its a great show. I wonder what will happen now?

stevo137
04-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I have seen the blue angels perform and its a great show. I wonder what will happen now?

The show will go on just as it did for the Thunderbirds after they lost a pilot a few years ago.

Many don't realize how dangerous these demonstrations are. I have seen the Angels and Thunderbirds many times and am still in awe at how great they are.

This is a sad day for the Blue Angels and it's unfortunate that this was the pilot's first time as a demonstration pilot after being with the Angels for two years.

One positive is that the pilot achieved something that very, very few accomplish and died doing what doing what he loved to do most.

New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Blue-Angel-Crash.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This is a peek at a Blue Angel pre flight meeting and some clips moderated by R. Lee Irmy
http://www.history.com/media.do?action=clip&id=mc_blue_angels_broadband&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=blue+angels+pilot&utm_campaign=mail+call&keywords=blue+angels+pilot&paidlink=1&ref_str=http%3A//search.yahoo.com/search%3Fp%3Dblue+angels+pilot%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8

LakePirate
04-22-2007, 11:40 AM
It is very sad what happened.

The guy who now has injuries, even sadder.

Slight threadjack, there was an apartment fire last night in DeKalb County (daily occurrence) and a firefighter was trapped inside a burning unit. The rest of the department spent 15 minutes with hoses on him so that he would not burn and lose his life, until they could save him. The news team interviewed this immigrant and he had no concern for the bravery of the firefighter or his comrades who saved him from burning, no no, he was concerned with his wallet that burned in his apartment. Had I been standing there I would have choked him..threadjack over.

Some people.

dapicatti
04-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Very sad. We used to have a great airshow where we live, Blue Angels were here many times. Its amazing to me that they can perform as they do without anyone getting hurt.

88 PS190
04-22-2007, 03:08 PM
They used to practice out over the bay when they were doing the Traverse City cherry festival.

You could hear the booms... it was great.

puck_11
04-22-2007, 08:38 PM
I was out at Saufley Field today with my friends when the Blues returned...one jet short, very sad indeed. Thoughts and prayers to the family and squadron.

MYMC
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I took the family to Beaufort MCAS for the show Saturday...the entire show went off without a hitch until the very end. Neither Maeghan or Alex had been to an airshow so it was tough explaining it all to a 12 year old when one doesn't return. The airbase was locked down for 2 hours while emergency crew did what they could and put out the small fires. We then drove out to the regional airport and flew home...pretty quite flight.

The Blue Angels are amazing aviators and this was a sad day...the aviators family was in attendance when this happened...my heart goes out to the family, his squadron and all those on the ground.

skisix@38
04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Yes, a very sad day. My 7 year old boy has dreamed of being a Blue angel for 4 years now- I hope this doesn't quelch that dream. Those guys put on an amazing show and something that only the Thunderbirds approach and no other team in the world comes close to, because they can't. My hat goes off to the fallen angel and all those that loved him.

I hate that the media is starting to run with stories about why we shouldn't have air shows because they are too dangerous. Breaks my heart to even hear that. Life is dangerous, I hope that all of us can go out the way we want, this is the way this pilot wanted to out- he probably would have prefered some different timing though.

MYMC
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I hate that the media is starting to run with stories about why we shouldn't have air shows because they are too dangerous. Breaks my heart to even hear that. Life is dangerous, I hope that all of us can go out the way we want, this is the way this pilot wanted to out- he probably would have prefered some different timing though.
I couldn't agree more...I keep trying to convince my son this would be the best job EVER! We shall see if he picks up the ball and runs with it.

I think Maeghan summed it up best when talking to Alex, she said "I would bet that if you told that Blue Angel he would die one day at the stick of his F-18 he would have never hesitated, he died doing what he loved."

jlf
04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
The Blue Angels are scheduled to be at our air show on May 19, it is up in the air if they'll make it or not. I'd understand if they pulled out, it has to take a toll on you to lose one of your own. They are amazing at what they do. I was reading an article somewhere, it was talking about the Blue Angels do not wear normal flight suits, because the suits inflate to help keep the blood towards the head so pilots do not black out when the G's get high, the Blue Angels do not wear them because of the risk of the suit bumping the stick and they fly such tight formations. Instead of the flight suits the Blue Angels are so conditioned they use their abdominal muscles to keep the blood to their heads when under high g's. I found that amazing. It made me appreciate what they do even more.

Also when the Blue Angels are in town, they come almost every year for our airfest show, they stop in at the grocery store I work at. They are so personable and awesome. They stop and sign autographs for kids and adults, they are so personable, they never seemed bothered that people are stopping them and asking for autographs, they answer questions. They stand out like sore thumbs, they wear their flight suits so they are easy to identify. I love when they come are in town, I look forward to talking with them every year.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I couldn't agree more...I keep trying to convince my son this would be the best job EVER! We shall see if he picks up the ball and runs with it.

I think Maeghan summed it up best when talking to Alex, she said "I would bet that if you told that Blue Angel he would die one day at the stick of his F-18 he would have never hesitated, he died doing what he loved."
I think thats a very valid point. Every pilot knows the risks, yet they choose to accept them. Now obviously every human being wants to live as long as possible and enjoy life with our families, but Put it this way, no matter what your passion is, rock climbing, water skiing, flying, sky diving, cliff diving, car racing, scuba diving, whatever it is, would you rather pass on doing something you live for & love, or would you rather end your life in a nursing home where you cant even feed or bathe yourself? or possibly die a slow death of cancer in a hosptial bed for 2 years suffereing every minute? we all want to live as long as possible, but if you could choose, what would it be? we all take a risk walking out our front door every morning, but we take it. What happend is a terrible tragedy. but I think you people made a very valid point.

MYMC
04-24-2007, 03:09 PM
The Blue Angels are scheduled to be at our air show on May 19, it is up in the air if they'll make it or not. I'd understand if they pulled out, it has to take a toll on you to lose one of your own. They are amazing at what they do. I was reading an article somewhere, it was talking about the Blue Angels do not wear normal flight suits, because the suits inflate to help keep the blood towards the head so pilots do not black out when the G's get high, the Blue Angels do not wear them because of the risk of the suit bumping the stick and they fly such tight formations. Instead of the flight suits the Blue Angels are so conditioned they use their abdominal muscles to keep the blood to their heads when under high g's. I found that amazing. It made me appreciate what they do even more.

Also when the Blue Angels are in town, they come almost every year for our airfest show, they stop in at the grocery store I work at. They are so personable and awesome. They stop and sign autographs for kids and adults, they are so personable, they never seemed bothered that people are stopping them and asking for autographs, they answer questions. They stand out like sore thumbs, they wear their flight suits so they are easy to identify. I love when they come are in town, I look forward to talking with them every year.
They will be there and performing...they flew the next day at the Beaufort MCAS show! They flew the missing man formation and blew taps. In their history the Blue Angles have never missed a performance due to anything other than weather.

jlf
04-25-2007, 08:44 AM
That is awesome, yet sad in some ways. They are the ONLY reason to visit our air show, they truly do steal the show.