PDA

View Full Version : Stereo question

rsk
04-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Yesterday , first day on the lake with the 06X30
I see why MC is the sh*t. Watersport heaven.
Couple of questions .
Playing Cd's , when reaching a certain volume level they would sound like they were skipping, and then the unit would stop. Not turn off, but not play them .
This only would happen at a certain level. Loud by the way. Is that a "governor" so to speak ?
Also, the forward bilge emptied it self several times during the day.
A pretty decent stream for a minute probably each time.
I am totally new to this and don't know if this is normal.
Was wondering if the ballast system had anything to do with it.
Filled the ballasts yesterday and they emptied fine by the way.

Kell
04-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Sounds like your amp is clipping which is caused by turning up the amp too high. You will probably need a better quality amp if you choose to listen often at the level. As for the bilge, was the bilge bone dry when you started for the day? The shaft log (where the shaft goes through the hull) is lubricated by a small amount of water that keeps the packing glad for overheatint due to the high speed that the shaft rotates. Its like 15 drops per minute (do a search for the recommend drip rate). You may also have a leak in the balast system or if you store the boat on the water, maybe the accumulation of rain or what ever. But the amount of water you have described above does sound like too much to me.

erkoehler
04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
That seems like to much water in my opinion. Did you have wet people getting in and out of the boat?

rsk
04-22-2007, 11:44 AM
OK now I am pis*ed.
Just went to get the boat ready for the day and the storage compartment right behind the drivers seat and the one under the the front passenger seat, ( faces to rear ) , had water in them enough to get the carpet wet. As you know , there is fiberglass or some material that is hard on both of those floors with rubber mats on top. So water was in there and enough come up on the carpet.
There is a brass fitting on the bottom of the boat toward the bow.
What is this, it's threaded.
To answer the question of emptying the bilge to start the day , I didn't.

This morning I manually operated the forward bilge and there was water in it. None in the aft.
I keep the boat on a trailer inside.

TMCNo1
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Kell]The shaft log (where the shaft goes through the hull) is lubricated by a small amount of water that keeps the packing glad for overheatint due to the high speed that the shaft rotates. Its like 15 drops per minute (do a search for the recommend drip rate).

A '06 has the dripless shaft log, therefore, unless there is a problem with it, there should not be any water entering the boat thru the dripless packing.

erkoehler
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
OK now I am pis*ed.
Just went to get the boat ready for the day and the storage compartment right behind the drivers seat and the one under the the front passenger seat, ( faces to rear ) , had water in them enough to get the carpet wet. As you know , there is fiberglass or some material that is hard on both of those floors with rubber mats on top. So water was in there and enough come up on the carpet.
There is a brass fitting on the bottom of the boat toward the bow.
What is this, it's threaded.
To answer the question of emptying the bilge to start the day , I didn't.

This morning I manually operated the forward bilge and there was water in it. None in the aft.
I keep the boat on a trailer inside.

Told you not to buy that one.....j/k! :)

630-533-2760 call me and we can run few a few things to check.

Kell
04-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not familar enought with the X30, but the threaded brass fitting about mid ship may be your bilge drain. On my 210VRS (X10), there are two brass bilge drain locations, one at the very back (transom) and then another mid ship. Access to the mid ship is through a 8" black circular disc that unscrews from the floor, and inside there is a brass t-handle threaded drain plug. When I start the day bone dry, by the end of the day there may be 1" of water in the bilge, not enough to turn on the auto bilge.

Kell
04-22-2007, 11:53 AM
A '06 has the dripless shaft log, therefore, unless there is a problem with it, there should not be any water entering the boat thru the dripless packing. Good point TMCno1, which is why I should keep my mouth shut ! :D , and defer to the experts on this board.

JimN
04-22-2007, 01:13 PM
RSK- Before we call the amp bad, the input sensitivity controls should be checked and re-set. Some people call these the "gain controls" but the amp's gain can't be changed.

Before trying to set up a system like this, make sure the battery is fully charged and the terminals are clean and tight. If they aren't, it's not possible to develop all of the power the amps are designed for and they will overheat, distort, melt-down and probably take your speakers with them. If you try to crank the stereo with the motor off on a regular basis, you'll need to add at least one battery. At rest, the battery should be about 12.65Vdc- 13.2Vdc with no accessories operating. Above 2000RPM, you should see about 14.4Vdc. Turning accessories ON will cause the voltage to drop. At idle, you don't have 14.4, which is the voltage most amps are designed for and tested. It's a useless number for audio equipment, they should all be tested at about 12Vdc since it's a real-world voltage.

The procedure is:
1) Set the tone controls to normal, not maxed out. Setting them to their max makes the head unit distort on loud music. If you can't get the sound you want without doing this, your system needs to be changed so it does.

2) Turn the input controls down just about all the way.

3) Using the disc that has the loudest sections, turn the head unit's volume up to the point that it just begins to distort. If you were listening to it really loudly immediately before trying this, wait for a couple of hours so your ears' threshold is more normal. When it just starts to distort, you have found the head unit's maximum usable volume limit. Turn it down to the point where there is no longer any distortion. If you can't hear any distortion at all, even at max volume, get a second opinion- they all distort at some point. Adding bass will cause this to decrease. Write down the volume control setting.

Before setting the input on the amp(s), set the high pass crossover if you have small speakers or a subwoofer. If you have a sub, set the low pass for that, too. If the high pass is variable, start at about 150Hz. Set the sub to about 80. You won't lose anything because the filters aren't "brick wall filters" and by the time you get to the mid-point between the frequencies, the level will be about even.

4) Start with one input control and turn it up to the point where the distortion begins and again, back it off so you don't have any distortion in normal situations. Repeat this for any other input controls.

Once you have set these, try it and see if you still have problems. Make a note of what it does/doesn't do well and post it here.

These systems are good but aren't made for people who want balls-to-the-wall volume. Being in an open-air environment, they need a lot more power than a car system, even with the windows open. If you want BTTW volume, it's not MC's fault and it's not the system manufacturer's fault. The majority don't need that kind of power. OTOH, if there's a problem with the equipment or installation, that's a dealer issue. If they don't fix it, it becomes a MC issue directly.

Doug G
04-23-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm not familar enought with the X30, but the threaded brass fitting about mid ship may be your bilge drain. On my 210VRS (X10), there are two brass bilge drain locations, one at the very back (transom) and then another mid ship. Access to the mid ship is through a 8" black circular disc that unscrews from the floor, and inside there is a brass t-handle threaded drain plug. When I start the day bone dry, by the end of the day there may be 1" of water in the bilge, not enough to turn on the auto bilge.

That is the same on my 06 X-30 excapt the floor cap is white. The rear transom plug is useless under normal operation because it would take several inches of water to reach the plug level. When I pull the plugs the front plug is where it drains from because that is the low point. The only water I ever get in those compartments is from me as a user not from the boat. When I do make the compt behind the driver wet the only way to get it dried out is with a wet vac. That puddle will stay for a long time.

That amount of water is not normal for my boat. I did have an unusual amount in the rear bilge running last year for a couple days because the rudder shaft needed to be greased.

rsk
04-23-2007, 04:34 AM
taking to dealer Tues , will see what they find and post.
Today was no different