PDA

View Full Version : What size fuses

Brn85ss
01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Went to check my fuses over the weekend and broke two of them off in the holders. Does anyone know what size the ign. fuse and the anchor light fuses are?I'm guessing a 20 amp and a 10 amp.I can't get them out of the fuse holders. Thanks
'85ss

JimN
01-26-2005, 02:14 PM
If you can't get them out, you'll be replacing the fuse holders. In that case, you may as well disconnect the battery and break the fuse holders, replacing them one-by-one, and look at the ends that are stuck. They'll have the rating on them. The Main fuse is usually 30 amp, most others are 15 amp.

Otherwise, go to Sears or other hardware store and buy a long, skinny needle nose pliers and use that to get the caps out.

Brn85ss
01-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks Jimn

I already broke all the fuses apart. I just had two that were completly gone. I can't even dig them out of the holders( to much corrosion),so I could'nt read the fuses ,the fuse holders are garbage now.No big deal McMaster-carr has the same type of fuse holders for about $3.00 My Nav. light fuse was a 10 amp so I assumed the anchor light would be the same.By the way Jimn the fuse holders in my boat have a rating of 15 amps sounds like some of my fuses are a higher amprage than the holders are rated for. Thanks again

JimN
01-26-2005, 02:31 PM
10 amp should be about right. The main is bigger, the ignition may be 20 amp, as you mentioned. Are the replacement fuse holders water-resistant? I would try to find some that are. Put some silicone grease(dielectric grease) on the fuses when you put them in for the first time and if you need to replace any of them.

BarefootWt
02-12-2005, 11:24 PM
What I do every fall as part of my storage checklist is rotate and pull each fuse out of it's socket and clean any corrosion off. I also lubricate them before putting them back in. I learned this the hard way by breaking one off but was able to get the cap out with needle nose plyers (but could not read the size at that point). If you have to guess on the size (I would suggest a call to your dealer first) you should error on the low size and let them blow vs putting in one that is too big that could cause wiring or other damage. Good luck.

Brn85ss
02-13-2005, 04:15 PM
The dealer is no help on this item,I was hoping someone with a s/s would take a peek at their fuses and let me know what sizesthe fuses are.The fuse holder corrosion was before my time.

brianaw26
05-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Anyone have the info on this.... I need the same info. I replaced my entire dash, along with the fuse holders and switches... Now I donít remember where I put the old fuses... What are the amp ratings?

Bilge?
Blower?
Stern light
Bow light?
Anything else?

Brn85ss
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Ign.-20 amp fuse

blower-6 amp

horn-10 amp

bilge-this will vary on the size of the pump I put a new mayfair in this year and it takes a 2 amp fuse.

nav light-10 amps

Anchor light-10 amps

Hope this helps you out!

brianaw26
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks Alot!!!!

1985 Skiier
07-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I just broke off a four fuses while doing an electrical inspection and spent a 1/2 hour on one cap before I found this trick. I found a great way to remove the cap if it gets stuck. Take the cap and set in on a level surface and hold it with a pair of Channel Locks. Use a 17/64th drill bit which will go into the metal cap and hit the fuse cap inside. As you drill the cap will spin free and stick to the sharp edge of the bit. Pull it out and your set. Locktight purple battery terminal spray works great to keep it from happening again.

Thanks for the fuse size!

Table Rocker
01-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Here are the breakers for a '96 for reference: