PDA

View Full Version : X-1 Wake Issues

ripperchick
04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
We wakeboarded behind our new X-1 today for the first time, and we couldn't get the wake very clean. This is only my 2nd year wakeboarding so I prefer to go around 21-23 mph, however the X-1 wake was really foamy at this speed, both with and without the KGB ballast. The wake didn't become really nice until about 25-26 mph, which is too fast for me! Is it possible to make this wake cleaner at around 22 mph, or am I just going to have to learn to adjust to a faster speed? Also, we haven't figured out the cruise control yet, once we do is that going to make a difference in making the wake cleaner? I heard this boat is supposed to have a sick wake, but we just can't figure it out!?:(
Thanks,
Ally

erkoehler
04-21-2007, 10:16 PM
People weight need yo be distributed evenly port and starboard. Also too much weight in the back is bad.

Did you verify that your rear tanks are full?

2000205V
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
What length of line are you using?

ripperchick
04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Yep, the rear tanks were full, and the middle. I'm pretty sure the line is 75', thats the longest it is.
Thanks for your help!

rodltg2
04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
isnt 21-23 failry fast for beginner speed??

ripperchick
04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure, but I think last year I was going around 21 on my friends malibu? I don't know how to get the wake nicer for a slower speed though.

rodltg2
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
im not much of wakeeboarder but i've been know to do it a few times a year and it seems to me that 75' rope and 21mph would be a bit too fast and too long.

rodltg2
04-21-2007, 10:30 PM
id suggest trying wakeworld.com.. lots of hard core guys on there who should know how to weight your boat

ripperchick
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I could try to shorten the rope to 60', that would be a good thing to try tomorrow, but it won't have any effect on the cleanness of the wake. We are also still in our first 10 hours break in, does this effect the wake at all too? It doesn't seem like it would.

Farmer Ted
04-21-2007, 10:43 PM
like Eric said, it's how you have the weight distributed

move people around the boat to see what will get you the best wake

move some folks up front and see if that helps the wake

or suck it up and go 23-25

erkoehler
04-21-2007, 10:51 PM
I could try to shorten the rope to 60', that would be a good thing to try tomorrow, but it won't have any effect on the cleanness of the wake. We are also still in our first 10 hours break in, does this effect the wake at all too? It doesn't seem like it would.

Pretty sure that your not supposed to use ballast and wakeboard while breaking in the engine..........warranty?

2000205V
04-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Speed is important ... I think you have the right approach where you should make changes to the boat/environment instead of changes to your comfort level at this point. I know that a crash at 21mph, feels VERY different from the same crash at 23-24mph.

Try shortening the line. A standard wakeboard rope is 70', and usually 4-5 feet for the handle section. At full line and 21mph it may be a tiny bit slow to get a crisp non-foamy wake that far back. I typically ride 5' off and 23mph, but a lot of my buddies ride at 15' and 21.5mph off just because it's easier to go wake to wake and the wake is cleaner at slower speeds when you're riding closer to the boat.

Also if you're going out tomorrow, take a pic of the wake. We might be able to narrow down where weight should go in the boat by looking at it. I probably have 50 hours into perfecting my ballast system for the wake I like to ride.

TOO-TALL
04-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Sounds like you need some weight up front.If you have a fat sack or can borrow on put it up in the bow and fill the center tank leave the rear tanks empty.

I run mine with 200 pounds of lead up front the center bag filled and the rear tanks empty+ there is 4 people in the boat.

I found the the 205,x2,x1 really likes weight up front and in the middle of the boat.

rstitson
04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Took my son to one of those traveling wakeboard lessons. The teacher was driving a moomba ... not a bad boat. Bottom line he suggested 18 miles an hour and slower for learning. We pull Toph ( my son) any were between 17 and 20 miles per/hour over the one year he has been wakeboarding. I think the 75 foot line is too long, but i am not an expert. I though 75 foot was the normal length of a ski rope. That is why we have a different one for wakeboarding.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Some good suggestions written here.
To reconfirm:
1) get weight up front.
2) make sure weight is distributed left/right. Have the rider stay in the middle and then move people/weight incrementally to the side that looks washed out. Stay put when it's balanced.
3) '75@21mph might not be a good combination and bring the wash too far forward. Again...speed and weight play in concert with each other.
4) It's a great 'boarding hull. You just need to dial it it.
5) Have fun!
Paul

Doug G
04-22-2007, 12:47 AM
We start total newbs off at 16-18 and 55-60. Then progress up in speed and line lenght from there as the skill and comfort progresses. If you can comfortably cross the wake hs and ts and atleast do hop in / hop out I would think you would go up to 20-22.

Ballast is not necessary for a clean wake. It changes the size and shape depending on how you load it. Usually with "dirty" wake it is cleaned up by re-arranging the ppl in the boat.

I would set the line length at 60-65 or where ever you get clean wake and adjust the ppl to get it clean and then go from there. Just my .02.

sand2snow22
04-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Ditto what Doug said, one thing to note, are you sure you're going 21-23 MPH? Might want to check your speedo with a GPS, you might be going slower than you think. How many people did you have in the boat? If you had 10+ people you'll want to ride 24-25MPH to keep the wake clean.......

ProTour X9
04-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Our cruise won't work either:( :confused: :confused: :huh:

Chief
04-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Our cruise won't work either:( :confused: :confused: :huh:

Mine works, when it want's too. Always works in Manual and sometimes on speed/rpm. I think MC went to production quicker than they should have on the cruise system. I have read and read and no matter what it's always hit and miss. Hell sometimes it will not disengage and when I try to pull the rider up after a fall it will only go as far as the last registered throttle position.

cmack
04-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I just bought a 2007 X1 and I am a beginner. I can do a 180 HS now!!
Back to the boat. I keep the boat at 17-18 mph and there is a nice rampy sweet spot. But it is not 75 ft out!
My rope is setup at at 55 ft. And there is a big ramp there. I do not have the KGB only the two rear ones.

Jerseydave
04-22-2007, 09:21 AM
ripperchick,

First thing you should do is calibrate your speedo with a GPS, since most speedos are off.

Next, try riding a 60' rope with NO BALLAST. If the wake is still washed-out, try filling the front ballast only. After that, play with filling the rear ballast until you get your wake you want.

ProTour X9
04-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Mine works, when it want's too. Always works in Manual and sometimes on speed/rpm. I think MC went to production quicker than they should have on the cruise system. I have read and read and no matter what it's always hit and miss. Hell sometimes it will not disengage and when I try to pull the rider up after a fall it will only go as far as the last registered throttle position.

Thanks, that was helpful and quite informational. We've brought it back to the dealer to have a few things checked out, one of them the cruise, they didn't say much about it:(

ripperchick
04-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks, guys you were really helpful! Today I will definitely shorten the rope and empty the ballast tanks, maybe leave the middle one full. I will probably prefer this because the wake is beastly without any ballast! Guess I just have to experiment a little more. I could not be more excited about riding behind it though!

2000205V
04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks, guys you were really helpful! Today I will definitely shorten the rope and empty the ballast tanks, maybe leave the middle one full. I will probably prefer this because the wake is beastly without any ballast! Guess I just have to experiment a little more. I could not be more excited about riding behind it though!

Take some pics! I'd like to see it!

ripperchick
04-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Okay, I'll take some!

vision
04-22-2007, 10:27 AM
We have a 05 X2 (same boat as your X1) and run at 22 mph with a beautiful wake shape using either no ballast or full ballast. In fact, the shape is better with 4 people and full tank of gas than with full KGB ballast.

1. Have you calibrated your speedo? Probably not the problem but maybe 22 mph by your speedo is really 20 mph.

2. The wake is best with the X-1 between 55 to 65 feet behind the boat. Try shortening your rope.

3. I know this is obvious, but make sure there is nothing stuck to the bottom of your boat/platform. A piece of rope of other foreign material could alter wake shape.

Good luck

BCBlazers
04-22-2007, 02:20 PM
my perfect pass on my 04 X2 is givin us some problems too....we have to keep opening the hatch to readjust and tighten the throttle control know on the exhaust riser. it keeps loosening sporatically. i've been told that if you attempt to turn on the control w/out being in neutral, that this can affect the know considerably...any thoughts...???

Archimedes
04-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm glad someone else said it first, so I don't sound like such a noob, but I think the X-1 has a great boarding wake at around 18-20 with no ballast at all if you have a 3-4 people in the boat. We're skiiers who are total wakeboard newbs and we run 18-19 mph at 60 feet. Wake on my X-1 is very clean. Any my cruise works great.

Ole Miss Rebels
04-22-2007, 03:05 PM
my guess is your speed is off. get a gps and calibrate your perfect pass and your mechanical speedo. that hull is too time-tested to just up and throw out a foamy wake. I suspect it's your speedo is way off (probably reading 5-6 mph low, or you ballast is WAY out of balance). That's all it could be unless you have a prehistoric ichthyosaurus attached to your hull. One more thought, do you have a wake plate or trim tab that could be way out of position? Good luck, you have a great boat. I still miss mine and i traded for an xstar.

Maristar210
04-22-2007, 04:34 PM

2000205V
04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
my perfect pass on my 04 X2 is givin us some problems too....we have to keep opening the hatch to readjust and tighten the throttle control know on the exhaust riser. it keeps loosening sporatically. i've been told that if you attempt to turn on the control w/out being in neutral, that this can affect the know considerably...any thoughts...???

Yes. It calibrates itself from neutral. If you set it, while it's not in neutral it thinks the current throttle position is neutral.

I have an older version of the perfect pass than you do, but on mine, I engage it with the boat running in neutral and thats it. when it gets upto speed it takes over and disengages when I pull back. I get a bunch of slop in the throttle if I engage perfect pass in non-neutral.

If the nut inside keeps coming undone, you should get some locktite thread locker so it can't backoff. I've had the same thing happen to me a few times before I got aggravated enough to locktite it. Haven't had a problem since.

ripperchick
04-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm glad someone else said it first, so I don't sound like such a noob, but I think the X-1 has a great boarding wake at around 18-20 with no ballast at all if you have a 3-4 people in the boat. We're skiiers who are total wakeboard newbs and we run 18-19 mph at 60 feet. Wake on my X-1 is very clean. Any my cruise works great.

Glad to hear that! We weren't able to wakeboard today, but I've heard some great suggestions that we'll definitely try next time we go out! I bet our speed is off and we'll have to fix that too. We still haven't worked the cruise control yet (didn't get perfect pass) but I'm looking forward to that! Thanks for all the repsonses! :)

CottagerGreg
04-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Here is pic of my X-1..

2 people in the boat... 22.5 mph and only centre ballast filled.. (from today.. 52 degree water)

75' rope..

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202007/IMG_0174.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202007/IMG_0175.jpg

Harvey
04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I think that at the speed you are riding you need to shorten up your rope. Here is a good way to figure out what length to ride at. Make sure and have the boat weighted evenly side to side and front to back. You may need a little more weight in the front (move a couple people in the bow or buy a single ballast bag to put up in the walkway. Then tie the rope to the tower and get the boat up to the speed you want to ride at. Look at the point the wake washes out and guess the difference between where the handle is and the wake washes out. Stop the boat and shorten the rope so that you are riding just before the wake washes out. At 21 mph you might want to be at 60-65 ft. We actually ride 65-70 at about 22.5 mph. Take some pictures of the wake next time as that will be the best way to diagnose your issue.

beatle78
04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
one other thing I didn't see mentioned yet.

Are both sides of the wake washed out or just one side. If there is too much weight on 1 side the wake on the opposite side will get washed out.

Check out this tutorial from Wakeworld.

http://wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip029.asp

If it doesn't play you may need to download a flash player.

Post before and after pics for us :) :) :)

p.s. the speedo being off and the boat going to slow sounds like a very probable problem as well. Did it seem slow to you? [being a noob you may not be able to tell]

pics pics pics

ripperchick
04-24-2007, 02:47 PM
No, I used to wakeboard behind a jetski so I would not have a clue if the speed felt to slow or not, I was told I was going 25-26, and that just sounds too fast for me. I think both sides of the wake were washed out, its hard to remember, I focused mostly on the right wake to learn my HS W2W, and I am the only one who wakeboards so I couldn't look at the wake with someone else being pulled.
Thanks for the tutorial! I'll post some pictures as soon as possible.

beatle78
04-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Do you have a perfect pass installed? That is VERY realiable once it's dialed in. It uses a paddle whell under the boat.

The stock speedos are junk IMHO. Up here we have a lot of weeds and they clog up before the boat even comes to plain..... Without the perfect pass we would never know how fast were going.

sand2snow22
04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Beatle, post #32 says she doesn't have PP, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the X-1 comes standard with the paddle wheel.

Ripperchick, sounds like the dealer didn't give you a very good lake test? Making Erk, MYMC, and Jim at BAWS look bad. To the right of the steering wheel on your dash should be three little switches, the middle one controls the display, i.e., lake temp, air temp, depth, etc., The switch on the left you can adjust the left speedo and same with the switch on the right, you can adjust your right speedo. My dealer told me they're dialed in and never touch the left and right switches, if you messed with them, your speed could very well be off!!

whirli
04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
I have ridden behind an old x-2. which is what I beleive the same boat as yours. I was very impressed with the wake, I'm sure all boats are uniform so it may just take some tinkering to get things dialed in. I rode 22.5 mph with a 70 line. I was amazed at how clean the wake was.