PDA

View Full Version : Shark!!

atlfootr
04-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Shark Catch in Pensacola May Earn Its Place in the Record Book

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/assetpool/images/0382013108_shark.jpg

PENSACOLA, FL (AP) -- A shark catch in the Panhandle could be one for the record books. Four people were cobia fishing Wednesday when they spotted a Mako shark chasing dolphins -- possibly for lunch -- near the shore between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach.

A crew from another boat had to help catch the 12-foot, six-inch shark that weighed 1,063 pounds. Jim Roberson with the International Game Fish Association in the Panhandle says it's a possible world record in the 30-pound line class for a short-fin Mako.

The current record goes to a 997-pound, 11-ounce shark caught in Sidney, Australia, in 1995. The largest Mako recorded in the all-tackle division was a 1,221 pounder caught in Massachusetts in 2001.

The Pensacola shark is now in a refrigerated truck and will likely be used for research.

shepherd
04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Yes! :woohoo:
Honey load up the cooler, we're going fishing!

atlfootr
04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
With enough exposure, they may make a movie there and call it JAWS VI :rolleyes:

atlfootr
07-31-2007, 10:45 PM
It's SHARK WEEK on, THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/sharkweek.html

sizzler
08-01-2007, 02:12 AM
we have had our first sightings of a great white off of the cornish coast(sw england)...an amateur cameraman was filming some dolphins 'playing' in the water...the reason they were jumping out of the water was because'jaws' was chasing them:o he managed to film the great white breaching itself...

we then get another sighting last week of another one.........a female....which,according to the experts ,means that her 'mate' is close by.....

as you can imagine the talk at the dinner table last night was interesting....
"so,dad....about this surfing trip to cornwall we are going on in a couple of weeks...!!!"...........my 2 girls are out looking for harpoon guns now:D

this is the article in one of our national papers

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350477,00.html

atlfootr
08-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks sizz,

I read all the articles and related links that mentioned the Great White, it's really interesting how they travel to certain parts were the nornally are ever seen. I heard while watching 'Shark Week' that one swam over 3,000 miles in just 99 days.

You'd would think that the girls in the pic' would GET OUT!
I know, if I heard someone yell'n SHARK, SHARK I'd be on the beach in seconds!

trickskier
08-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I was curious so I Googled Mako Sharks and found this:

Mako Shark Facts

Makos are mackerel sharks that are incredibly fast swimmers and can also leap out of the water. Short-finned Makos average 5-8 feet (1.5-2.5 m) long but can reach 12 feet (3.7 m) long, weighing approximately 1,000 pounds (450 kg).

Short-finned Makos are found worldwide in temperate and tropical seas, ranging from the surface to relatively deep waters. They are pelagic oceanic swimmers (found in the open seas), but are occasionally found inshore.

Makos eat schooling fish including tuna, herring, mackerel, swordfish, and porpoise. They are opportunistic feeders, eating just about anything. Despite their ferocious looks, they are not known to attack people.

milkmania
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I think of sharks like I think of snakes...

...only good shark is a dead shark:rolleyes:

kingu
08-01-2007, 09:54 AM
oh yeah? they got nothin' on me! :rolleyes: 8p

kingu
08-01-2007, 10:00 AM
but seriously though, I did catch this one earlier that day. Due to my wife's inability to take a picture of it near the surface or close to the side of the boat where any type of reference could be gained, it's hard to tell that it's an approximately 8ft long Bull Shark.

chudson
08-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Always thought it would be fun out on a dark evening cruise to start playing the shark chase music from "jaws".

milkmania
08-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Always thought it would be fun out on a dark evening cruise to start playing the shark chase music from "jaws".

as a young child.....
I rode that freaqin' ride the year it openedhttp://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Surpris/surpris-choc-pale-.gif

Jwhitsett1129
08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
The Pensacola shark is now in a refrigerated truck and will likely be used for research.

I will never understand the logic behind "oh, this must be a world record...we had better kill it."

trickskier
08-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I will never understand the logic behind "oh, this must be a world record...we had better kill it."
Personally, I would rather that one be on ICE rather than roaming the Gulf of Mexico...............However, if they could have put in an aquarium that would be a different story..................

atlfootr
08-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Tonite, 'Shark Week's doing a compairison on 10 different sharks and differences while in the water ..

atlfootr
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
The motives and power of the GREAT WHITE SHARK!

Now on Explorer researchers track Great Whites !
They actually showed this guy in a 13 ft kayak, he estimated the shark at 18 feet and weighing 3,000 lbs.

TX.X-30 fan
11-28-2007, 10:11 PM
The motives and power of the GREAT WHITE SHARK!

Now on Explorer researchers track Great Whites !
They actually showed this guy in a 13 ft kayak, he estimated the shark at 18 feet and weighing 3,000 lbs.

Looks like the guy in the kayak has Costa Del Mar's on???? I bet he saw that shark coming with quality shades like that on... 8p

quincyfirefighter
11-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Bet UMP's Shark could take him.....:D

TMCNo1
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Bet UMP's Shark could take him.....:D

It'll never happen, UMP's shark is a "Loan Shark", who smokes a cigar, drinks beer and wears sunglasses at night in back alleys of the big cities in the UP of Michigan!:rolleyes:

quincyfirefighter
11-28-2007, 10:25 PM
It'll never happen, UMP's shark is a "Loan Shark", who smokes a cigar, drinks beer and wears sunglasses at night in back alleys of the big cities in the UP of Michigan!:rolleyes:
OK Harold I'm afraid to ask how you know all this. :rolleyes: :D

TMCNo1
11-28-2007, 10:32 PM
OK Harold I'm afraid to ask how you know all this. :rolleyes: :D

Ya see, UMP has this history that won't escape him!