PDA

View Full Version : Leak in the boat

robisjo
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I have been meaning to post this issue for awhile regarding this however since I have been extremely busy at work and have not had the time to fix the problem, I never got around to it. However as April 17 has past and I have a little more breathing room and summer is coming I thought I better get around to it.

Here is the problem; I have a 98 30th anniversary S&S. I noticed last summer that I was getting water on the floor near the driver’s feet. Upon further investigation I noticed there was a puddle of water in the bow where the hull and the floor meet, right at the point. From what I can tell, the water is entering from the keel of the boat, I felt around the sides of the hull where the top meets the hull and could not feel any areas that were damp. On the outside of the boat, the rub rail is tight around the fiberglass. I think the water is coming through the bow eye (the part of the boat that secures it to the trailer). Although the bow eye is solid and does not have any play or indication of any play in it, it must need some silicon around it. On the 98 this eye is under water unless the boat is moving faster than 15mph. Although the eye is solid, with it being underwater most of the time, it is probably susceptible to water intrusion. I am going to pull back the carpet this weekend to see if I can pen point the exact location of the leak. However I wanted to get the boards’ opinion on a few things.

My questions are these: First has anyone encountered the same problem and if so what was the fix? Second, if it turns out to be the bow eye, is this something that is a matter of unbolting a couple of nuts, removing a plate, adding some silicon and putting it back together? Third, what kind of silicon should I use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TMCNo1
04-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Take the boweye off, clean everything up, silicone it in place and bolt it back up with silicone in the inside too. Most people use clear marine grade silicone. If it still leaks, I would check for water coming in along the deck/hull connection behind the rubrail.

robisjo
04-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Take the boweye off, clean everything up, silicone it in place and bolt it back up with silicone in the inside too. Most people use clear marine grade silicone. If it still leaks, I would check for water coming in alonfgthe deck/hull connection behind the rubrail.

Thanks for you input. That is what I had in mind.

sand2snow22
04-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you've got it figured out, but do you have a heater for the boat? If so, they can leak, I've seem them leak near the driver's feet. Good luck.....

BriEOD
04-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Have fun removing the bow eye! That job is a bear and it is hot!! Been there, done that.

SteveO
04-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Bri,

It's only hot for the lucky few that live in FLA

trunderw
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I crawled up into the bow of my boat and I can't see how to release the bow eye. Any starter tips?

G-man
05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
could be the seal between the deck and hull, or if he has a heater the heater core

robisjo
05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
To give an update. I took the boweye off. It was pretty easy. I cut back the carpet, took the bolts off, and using a rubber mallet, tapped the boweye through the hull. I did have to take off the trailer buddy to get the bow eye out. It took about 15 minutes. Although there was silicon around the backing plate, there was not much in the 2 inches of fiberglass. I am pretty sure that was the problem. I bought some silicon however I have not had a chance to get it back together. When I take it out I am going to crawl in the bow to see if the problem still exists and where its coming from if it does (heater core or the seal between the hull and deck). I will keep you posted. Thanks for the input.

robisjo
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Sounds like you've got it figured out, but do you have a heater for the boat? If so, they can leak, I've seem them leak near the driver's feet. Good luck.....

After crawling back under the bow to re-mount the boweye, I looked at the heater core and that was the problem. You could definitely tell it was leaking a lot of water. I went down and got another one and installed it. Easy install. I will test it out this weekend for leaks and then I am good to go. Thanks for the suggestion.