PDA

View Full Version : Can I get THESE scratches out?

athen99
04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
How thick is the gel coat on this era of boat, 88' Prostar 190? Can I wet sand these scratches out? I'm debating wet sanding or re-painting, although it's an 88 and eventually I want EFI, so I may just get it looking good and sell it to someone that wants to spend more time than I have restoring her! Thanks for the input!

88 PS190
04-20-2007, 01:39 PM
scratches might be too deep but if you buff the hull they might be less visable.

sanjuan23
04-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Try the rubbing compound route first if that doesn't work, you can always try the wetsanding technique but use caution you don't want to remove more gelcoat than necessary.

BrianM
04-20-2007, 02:19 PM
From the looks of that I would think that you would be able to wet sand them out. Get a sanding block and sand one area with 600 grit. Keep it very wet. Check often. Once the scratch just disappears switch to 1000 and sand the light scratchs from the heavier grit out. Again keep it wet. Once the surface is nice and even buff with some heavy compound then a lighter compound and then wax. Should be able to get most if not all of them out. If while sanding with the the 600 at anytime you see a hint of black STOP as you have sanded through the color coat. The gel is pretty thick and usually if the scratch is just deep enough so that it will catch your finger nail it will sand out. Anything less than that will also. Much deeper and you may have to consider a different option. Good luck. I have sanded out some pretty nasty scratches with excellent results.

athen99
04-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks. I'm going to go the wet sanding route and see how the boat looks after I'm finished and then go from there. What's a little sweat and tears for a family member. I have to repair some deep nicks and a chunck of glass, so no matter what my brother will be involved in laying down some gel patches!!

Thrall
04-21-2007, 01:17 PM
The gel is pretty thick on these boats. Hard to tell how deep the scratches are, but if they are not all the way through the gel coat then they are removable. As Brian said, start w/ 600grit, use a block , never sand directly over outside corners (the pressure applied goes up exponentially and you can sand through the gel quite quickly), sand until there is just a small scratch left, then sand w/1000grit to get out the 600scratches, until you almost can't see the scratch, then 1200grit, then high speed buff, and high speed polish.
The idea is if the scratches are fairly deep, you don't want to go any deeper then what is already damaged (because the gel will be very thin at that point). If they're shallow scratches, wipe 'em out w/ 600 or 1000grit and proceed.

JohnnyB
04-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Some of those scrathes are pretty deap and you may want to consider sanding inside the scratch itself to get it to a gloss. Yes, you'll have a slight dip in the glass, but you can make it shine like the rest of the boat.