PDA

View Full Version : Starting to do research, any years better than others

YooperScott
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I just joined this forum the other day. Hopefully if all goes well, I will be looking for a boat in the next few months (probably not the best time of year to be a buyer but we'll see). I have skied behind several Mastercraft's, Nautiques, and a Malibu in the past. I have always seemed to like Mastercraft's the best. At any rate, I will be looking to stay in the $14-18k range and am wondering if there are any years better or worse to be looking for? Any years and/or engines to avoid? Any specific trouble things to look for when looking at them other than the obvious general condition, hours and so on? From what I can see, getting something in the early to later 90's should be totally doable at this price level.

Thanks,
Scott

east tx skier
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Welcome, Scott. Are you 51% or more a skier, footer, or Boarder? Open bow or closed?

Monte
04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I just joined this forum the other day. Hopefully if all goes well, I will be looking for a boat in the next few months (probably not the best time of year to be a buyer but we'll see). I have skied behind several Mastercraft's, Nautiques, and a Malibu in the past. I have always seemed to like Mastercraft's the best. At any rate, I will be looking to stay in the $14-18k range and am wondering if there are any years better or worse to be looking for? Any years and/or engines to avoid? Any specific trouble things to look for when looking at them other than the obvious general condition, hours and so on? From what I can see, getting something in the early to later 90's should be totally doable at this price level.

Thanks,
Scott

Welcome to the board Scott!

You will find the TTto be extremely helpful. I guess the first question is are you looking for a slolom wake or a wakeboard/ surf wake?

captain planet
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the board. A lot of good people on here and a lot of information as well.

I guess the first question is what do you do mostly? Slalom? Wakeboard? Take the family out often?

captain planet
04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow, we jumped on this like a pack of rabid dogs didn't we? 8p

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Where in the "midwest" are you? Good luck on your boat search. I'm sure you can fine what your looking for in your criteria.

east tx skier
04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Where in the "midwest" are you? Good luck on your boat search. I'm sure you can fine what your looking for in your criteria.

He's a Yooper!

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow, we jumped on this like a pack of rabid dogs didn't we? 8p

But as always, Eastie get's the first word.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
He's a Yooper!

I guess you lost me with that one.:o

mbeach
04-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I guess you lost me with that one.:o

me also:mad:

starman205
04-20-2007, 11:58 AM
A yooper is from the upper penninsula of Michagan. UMP is a yooper!!

east tx skier
04-20-2007, 12:10 PM
A yooper is from the upper penninsula of Michagan. UMP is a yooper!!

My understanding as well. But UMP is more of an umper.

YooperScott
04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow, I go to lunch, come back and lot's of replies!! :)

OK how about a little more info then. First I live in the Chicagoland area. My family has a place on a small inland lake in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan (otherwise known as the U.P. and people from there are called Yoopers). It is to me a great waterski lake, about 1 mile long and about 1/2 mile wide on both ends and necks down to about 1/4 mile wide through the middle. We have 1 little one and plan to have another in the not too distant future. Open bow does not matter much because of being a smallish lake and we ski/board/whatever from the dock. I am actually trying to convince my employer to let me telecommute and we will move up there (I think it's actually maybe going to happen), and we would probably buy a house in Marquette as my wife isn't convinced to live full time at camp.

Slalom is #1. I do mess around on wakeboards, kneeboards, trying barefoot, tubing, whatever, but definitely slalom first and everything else after.

Scott

Monte
04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Where is Erk when we need him?? FYI he's a sales rep for Chicaco MC. Many on here can give you the best options, he can find it/ sell it to you.. I'm not educated on slolom/ the best hull for such.. If he doesn't have it MYMC, Jim@BAWS, midwest, should be able to help

TMCNo1
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
If it has a closed bow, has enough room for a cooler of pasties and doesn't drive well when pulling toobs, it's perfect!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

captain planet
04-20-2007, 01:43 PM

OK how about a little more info then. First I live in the Chicagoland area. My family has a place on a small inland lake in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan (otherwise known as the U.P. and people from there are called Yoopers). It is to me a great waterski lake, about 1 mile long and about 1/2 mile wide on both ends and necks down to about 1/4 mile wide through the middle. We have 1 little one and plan to have another in the not too distant future. Open bow does not matter much because of being a smallish lake and we ski/board/whatever from the dock. I am actually trying to convince my employer to let me telecommute and we will move up there (I think it's actually maybe going to happen), and we would probably buy a house in Marquette as my wife isn't convinced to live full time at camp.

Slalom is #1. I do mess around on wakeboards, kneeboards, trying barefoot, tubing, whatever, but definitely slalom first and everything else after.

Scott
Your definately going to want a 190. I have a 1998 and I really like it. For teaching people on a boom, the side spray is very low. This is also very nice for footin off of the boom.

The 1997 190 back to 1995 are really nice as well, and the 1994 back to 1991 are really nice for slalom. I don't know how old a boat you are looking at buying but some on here will swear by the 1991 through 1994 hull.

Evan Jones
04-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I vote for the 205. With two kids (and their friends) you'll want the open bow and extra space. Plus with a camp on a small lake, you don't need all the under-bow storage area. My 205 has worked great for 10 years on a similar sized lake, in a similar situation as yours. The 205 wake is great, unless you are at tournament level slalom.

Datdude
04-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I will sell you my 1995 Prostar 190 with the LT-1 Corvette engine and only 250 hours. PM me if you are interested. The boat is located in Northern Wisconsin

Ric
04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
2005 still is the best year model of the 197.

André
04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
2005 still is the best year model of the 197.
Sure they are!
I'll give you 14-18k for your?8p

Go EFI anyway ...you won't regret it!

starman205
04-20-2007, 03:37 PM
YOOPERSCOTT, Pick me, pick me!!!!!!!!!!! My boat, a 1993 Prostar 205, is forsale in the marketplace section of teamtalk.

BrianM
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM

Scott

'95-'97 Prostar sounds like it is right up your alley. Will come in right on budget and is an excellent slalom machine that can carry around a small family if needed.

JKTX21
04-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I vote for the 205 as well. The open bow will be great for the little critters, errr I mean kids, to have a space of their own on the boat. I am def. upgrading to an open bow on the next go round.

92 190 PS
04-20-2007, 03:56 PM
If you can find a 91 to 94 you'll be delighted. I've skied behind most 190/197's since the early 90's and other than the new hull which I doubt is in your price range it is my opinion that those years have the best pure slalom wake. If you can find a 93 or 94 with EFI you're that much better off, but I'd argue don't walk away from a nice carb boat if it's the right one.

We're mostly slalom and barefoot folks and the351 HO in my boat is all the power you'd ever need. We're getting somewhere the neighborhood of 45 top end and the wake above 30 is incredible....

Keep us updated on your search and good luck....

betsy&david Harrison
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Can't beat a 91 to 94 for the money and wake...

I'm with you on this one BUT...the only issue is chop. The boat rides like crap in it. If you are on a tournament lake then this is the boat year you would love for the money and the wake...like he said!

C36
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
YooperScott:

Here are a couple of links that might help:

Changes to ProStar 205 by year (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5337&highlight=prostar+year)

History of 1996-2000 ProStar 205 (and her sisters) (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15198)

Changes to ProStar 190 by year (see the attached PDF)

'95-'97 Prostar sounds like it is right up your alley. Will come in right on budget and is an excellent slalom machine that can carry around a small family if needed.
History of 1995-97 ProStar 190 (and her sisters) (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14622)

Hope this helps.

BrianM
04-20-2007, 04:10 PM
91-94 would be a descent choice especially the EFI 93-94 but the 95-97 has substantially more room inside due to the added width and the windshield being further forward. Not much difference in the wake and NO spray.

If you are really into slalom I wouldn't reccomend the 96+ 205. Drives like a big boat and doesn't ski nearly as nice as the 190.

ProTour X9
04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Aye, aye, aye, more Yoopers.:rolleyes: