PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Rental SUV

Doug G
04-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Anyone know of a car rental company that allows towing the MC? I was going to rent a SUV to spare the Durango the trip to CSM but so far all the rental company sites say no towing.:(

For the legal types, what kind of liability / exposure do I have if I tow anyway?

Thanks

P.S. What class hitch should it have? ;)J/K don't answer that

jlf
04-20-2007, 09:44 AM
My guess is it will only be a problem if you get into an accident or get pulled over for something. As far as legal issues, I got nothing!

dmayer84
04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
We towed with a U-Haul rental one year when we didnt have anything else to tow with.

T Scott
04-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I had a customer rent a Suburban when they came to pick up a boat I was selling. He popped the plastic bumper cover off and screwed on his 2" ball and down the road he went. I am not sure of the legal implications of towing with a rental, but I believe your personal insurance would cover any damages. ***Check with your insurance carrier or attorney**

BrianM
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I towed with a rented (from Enterprise) F150 when my previous truck was in the shop. Did the same thing as T Scott said. Removed the little plastic insert and secured my ball to the bumper. The pig tail for a 4 flat was already there. It wasn't a long distance tow and worked fine with the Prostar. I never asked them if I could tow just did it.

Ric
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
my feeling ( I am no lawyer) is that the rental outfits don't want to be responsible for loss if renters are towing with their vehicles... Obviously from the stories above, they cannot really stop you from doing it, but the responsibility will be 100% yours if something goes wrong on the trip(loss). You probably already knew that part, but just be sure you rent a worthy tow vehicle and don't mention it to the rental folks..... :twocents:

Threadjack: did you guys ever clear up the issues on the lake cabin rental that went bad on you?

Monte
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Doug, Some new car dealerships will rent you a commercial vehicle. The local Ford dealership rents F-250 crew cabs specifically for folks who need a tow vehicle.. I would check with one of your local dealers.

VTJC
04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
I have rented SUV’s, Pickups and Uhauls to tow. It violates all the agreements; including Uhaul which you’re only supposed to tow there trailers with. The farthest I towed was from Orlando, FL to VT with a boat behind a Uhaul. But since I decline insurance coverage when I rent I am already responsible. The one thing to watch is the rental company might try to charge you for lost of business while the rental is being repaired following an accident. I would recommend looking for a pickup or it seems most late model Explorers have 1.25” hitch standard. It’s a little ackward to request a car with a hitch at the rental counter, check out the lot and see which ‘color’ car has the options you want.

T Scott
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Itís a little ackward to request a car with a hitch at the rental counter,

Tell them you need the hitch for your bike rack. Most bike racks nowadays slide into a standard hitch receiver.

Doug G
04-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Tell them you need the hitch for your bike rack. Most bike racks nowadays slide into a standard hitch receiver.

That's a great idea that frankly I didn't think of.

My boss wrecked his car a little while back and the rental company gave him a Yukon which had the receiver and wiring all in place already that started my thinking about it.

Thanks All.

Jerseydave
04-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Doug,

A friend tried to rent a tow vehicle last year, nobody had anything with a hitch. They don't want you to tow anything, even U-haul will only let you tow their trailers behind their larger trucks.

Rental counter at your local car dealer is your best shot. Good luck!

LakePirate
04-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Do you really want to tow from the bumper?

It was made very clear when I had a rental truck that I could not tow. I even called the insurance company, as it was the fault of their insured driver that I did not have use of my vehicle, and they said too bad, so sad. The dealership is probably the best bet.

TMCNo1
04-22-2007, 11:39 AM

It was made very clear when I had a rental truck that I could not tow. I even called the insurance company, as it was the fault of their insured driver that I did not have use of my vehicle, and they said too bad, so sad. The dealership is probably the best bet.

Many of the new SUV's have a plastic cover/plate/insert on/in the receiver that hides the hitch behind the bumper and blends in with the bumper till you need to tow, I hope that is what he was saying.

JDK
04-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Why not? Pick-up truck and SUV 'step' bumpers stamped with a tongue weight and max trailer weight are made to the SAME ASAE standard that aftermarket hitches are. As long as you're within the weight limits.....no big deal (although you may need a drop to level you're trailer, but for short distances.....again, not a biggie).

TMCNo1
04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Why not? Pick-up truck and SUV 'step' bumpers stamped with a tongue weight and max trailer weight are made to the SAME ASAE standard that aftermarket hitches are. As long as you're within the weight limits.....no big deal (although you may need a drop to level you're trailer, but for short distances.....again, not a biggie).

Go for it! Don't let anyone on here try to discourage you!:D