PDA

View Full Version : Selected Jets Today!

puck_11
04-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone, I got the best news of my life, I got my first pick of flying jets for the US NAVY! This is one of the happiest days of my life, as ever since I was a little kid I have always dreamed of flying a fighter jet! I have ejection seat training this weekend in Pensacola, FL, centrifuge training next week in Lemoore, CA, and then I start training mid may in Kingsville, TX. I'll be flying the T-45 for about a year, and then onto some variant of the F/a-18 Hornet!

puck_11
04-19-2007, 07:55 PM
The T-45 Goshawk

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Far out Puck!! Congrats! and thanks for serving to protect us! :worthy: :wavey:

puck_11
04-19-2007, 07:56 PM
F/A-18 Super Hornet

cmack
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Sweet gig! Good Luck and Thanks!

Slinkyredfoot
04-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Man you are one fortunate soon to be "Super Hero"... This is cool and congratulations, I am happy for you.....like Ump said "thanks for serving to protect us"....Are you gonna get to wear a cape???...:cool:

04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Man you are one fortunate soon to be "Super Hero"... This is cool and congratulations, I am happy for you.....like Ump said "thanks for serving to protect us"....Are you gonna get to wear a cape???...:cool:
Slink, he is a REAL hero, not a cape wearing idiot like me. Real HEROS dont wear capes, they wear uniforms of the US armed forces.:)

Maristar210
04-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey everyone, I got the best news of my life, I got my first pick of flying jets for the US NAVY! This is one of the happiest days of my life, as ever since I was a little kid I have always dreamed of flying a fighter jet! I have ejection seat training this weekend in Pensacola, FL, centrifuge training next week in Lemoore, CA, and then I start training mid may in Kingsville, TX. I'll be flying the T-45 for about a year, and then onto some variant of the F/a-18 Hornet!

I don't even know you and I am so proud of you. Thanks for what you do and have a blast !!!

Chief
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Congrats Shipmate! What's you call sign going to be?

Slinkyredfoot
04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Slink, he is a REAL hero, not a cape wearing idiot like me. Real HEROS dont wear capes, they wear uniforms of the US armed forces.:)

I know Ump, just checking to see if you are insanely jealous....:D

Mag_Red
04-19-2007, 08:42 PM
What a great honor! Like others have said, we appreciate your decision to serve and protect.http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/patriot.gif So when do we get our free flights??:D

04-19-2007, 08:43 PM
So when do we get our free flights??:D
OH YOU KNOW IT!! when do we get a demo ride in that Hornet??:popcorn:

rstitson
04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I can see how you are so excited; great rides, enjoy, and thanks for the service

6ballsisall
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Congrats puck! Never met you but I am excited for you! Thanks for serving and protecting us all, and our way of life. You have a roof over your head, good food and endless supply of booze at my place anytime my friend!

Footin
04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Way to go Maverick!

shepherd
04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Do you think you and your buddys can do a flyover at MagMania 3?

Congrats Puck. I told my ski buddy a while back as we watched some Raptors flying towards Tyndall that the two coolest jobs in the world have got to be rock star or fighter pilot. I'm envious you lucky SOB!

Footin
04-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Negative ghostrider....the pattern is full.

6ballsisall
04-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Congrats Puck. I told my ski buddy a while back as we watched some Raptors flying towards Tyndall that the two coolest jobs in the world have got to be rock star or fighter pilot. I'm envious you lucky SOB!

Thats a GREAT IDEA!! We could get Erk to go set out a bunch of frozen chickens on a secluded cove. They could use them as target practice!!!:D

Footin
04-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I keep pictureing Erkle in a big chicken suit.

04-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Negative ghostrider....the pattern is full.
"You still got the name of that truck driving school Mav? I think were gonna need it."

04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Thats a GREAT IDEA!! We could get Erk to go set out a bunch of frozen chickens on a secluded cove. They could use them as target practice!!!:D
Oh you KNOW it Jr!! I like it! thats a helluva way to cook chicken baby! I 'll have mine well done!:D

east tx skier
04-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

Mag_Red
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh you KNOW it Jr!! I like it! thats a helluva way to cook chicken baby! I 'll have mine well done!:DHell of a way to earn your wings! Chicken wings that is:D

trickskier
04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Congratulations!!! Well Done!!! BRAVO!!!

puck_11
04-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks everybody! It's always nice to hear a thanks for serving, although the ones currently deployed are far more deserving of it. It'll be at least 2 years before I can deploy, which will put me at 3 years of training to be a jet jock, and then something like 7 more years of committment. WOW! It's basically a 10-11 year initial commitment to be a pilot in the military nowadays :)

As far as rides go...hehe...I don't even think I could get my parents a ride :(

Maristar210
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks everybody! It's always nice to hear a thanks for serving, although the ones currently deployed are far more deserving of it. It'll be at least 2 years before I can deploy, which will put me at 3 years of training to be a jet jock, and then something like 7 more years of committment. WOW! It's basically a 10-11 year initial commitment to be a pilot in the military nowadays :)

As far as rides go...hehe...I don't even think I could get my parents a ride :(

My father was actually President of Bell Aerospace and Helicopter in Buffalo, NY a few years ago, He met Dick Cheney one day and got a rear seat ride in an F-16 the next. He told everyone he knew about that test ride. God rest his soul.

04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I have a cousin that is in the military. He got the opportunity to ride in a F-18 last year. after they buckled him in, the pilot asked him if he was OK, and my cousin says "Im ******' awesome, fly it like you stole it!!!!" he gave my cousin a helluva ride in that jet. I think he wanted him to puke, but he didnt. Cool deal!

TMCNo1
04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Congratulations, you make us proud!

milkmania
04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I avoided this thread since
I was thinking you were referring to picking the New York Jets for a fantasy football league or something...

I'm glad I dropped in!
Like has already been stated, I am proud of you, and I am proud for you!

Doug G
04-19-2007, 11:11 PM
:cool: Congrats!!!!! Thank you for what you have chosen to do.
Can you put a mastercraft sticker on it?

tex
04-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Congrats-Don't bat turn those things. I hear that it is bad on the rudder or shaft!

Hrkdrivr
04-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Congrats, Puck, you're gonna dig it! You've done well to get to pick jets!

OBTW, you don't get to pick your own call-sign...your squadron-mates will pick one for you, usually based on something embarassing you've done.

Here are a few things to remember: the rules they teach you were written in the blood of other people's mistakes, don't make the same ones (there are no new mistakes, just new idiots making the old mistakes); you can only TIE the record for flying low, you can't beat it, don't do the enemy's job for him; you're NOT bullet-proof, although nobody can convince an early-20s American male of this until he has a kid or two and/or he loses a buddy in a crash; there's a difference between aggressive and abrupt...aggressiveness is always expected/demanded/required, abruptness is almost never required; fly disciplined and demand it of others...if they know you won't put up w/BS they'll fly better because of you.

Never, ever forget what a privelege, honor and incredibly huge responsibility it is to be handed a tool that can wreak utter devastation. Pursue the enemy with unmerciful tenacity, prosecute the fight with precision and discipline and do it all so as to maintain the honorable reputation of those who fought before you.

Oh yeah, and have fun!!! (Sorry to get so heavy)

djhuff
04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
One of my groomsmen is currently in AZ finishing up his flight training for his F-16. (Air Force). You are living every kids dream (well mine anyway). Thank you for serving and enjoy the ride, you're gonna have some great stories to tell your grandkids.

04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Congrats-Don't bat turn those things. I hear that it is bad on the rudder or shaft!
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme AWESOME TEX!!!!

I am still afraid to wing a full bat turn in my boat. I did some close ones when the mayor was attempting to do an around the boat, but not a full bat turn. I am such a chicken....:o

Maristar210
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM

I am still afraid to wing a full bat turn in my boat. I did some close ones when the mayor was attempting to do an around the boat, but not a full bat turn. I am such a chicken....:o

Chicken?

Frozen Chicken?

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

dog paw
04-20-2007, 09:00 AM

There's a knuclehead on our lake that spins a poor old 19 skier like a PWC. He needs a rev limiter on it for the "out of the water" prop time:D

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2007, 09:00 AM
That is Amazing Puck! Congratulations! and slap an MC sticker on that thing and take a picture for us! Hell just take a picture even if you don't have the sticker!

Be safe and check in with us once and a while!

sanjuan23
04-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

dog paw
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Real HEROS dont wear capes, they wear uniforms of the US armed forces.:)

True indeed!

Congrats bro! Send us some pics to slobber over. If you ever find yourself with a empty back seat I'm sure there's a few of us here that would fill it for you. Good luck with your training, hope thats the only place you ever have to pull the cord......

jlf
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Congratulations, what an accomplishment. My brother is in the Air Force and he tells me it is really hard to become a pilot. Way to go!! I have always wondered how cool it would be to fly or just ride in a jet? As others have said if you need a co-pilot, I'm sure you could find one or two from TMC to join you. Pick me, Pick me!!

MYMC
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Congrats and remember the tube next to your seat is not an intercom...no matter what the other pilots tell you!

tex
04-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Puck: Tower, this is Ghost rider requesting a flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative Ghost rider, the pattern is full.

Datdude
04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Congrats Puck.............:cool: That is one cool job that should lead to no shortage of females (if you are in the market for one:D ). Thanks for your service. It is appreciated!

tex
04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Wolfman: Holy chit, it's Viper!
Goose: Viper's up here, great... oh chit...
Puck: Great, he's probably saying, "Holy chit, it's Puck and Goose."
Goose: Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.

Bruce
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Puck let me add my congrats as well as my thanks for your service. Don't apologize for not being deployed. Training is serving and you are in harms way every time you lite up.
Hrkdriver gave you some super advice. Heed it well.(I was involved with accident reports for AirFMFLANT when I was stationed at Cherry Point with the Marine Corps. You couldn"t believe some of the stupid things that caused accidents.)
I'm envious of your future. You are living my dream. When it was time to re-up My CO pushed hard . I said the only way I would remain in was if I were on a flying status. Next thing I know I am taking writens, physical etc. Even got to ride "the rail" (ejection trainer) My orders were cut and I was ready to go to Pensacola. Whoa I said! What happen if I wash out? They advised me I would owe the black shoe navy 4 years of my life. This Marine decided to go back to college. Regreted it ever since. No guts, no glory!
Again thanks and God bless you!

04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Wolfman: Holy chit, it's Viper!
Goose: Viper's up here, great... oh chit...
Puck: Great, he's probably saying, "Holy chit, it's Puck and Goose."
Goose: Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.
I love that part! "Holy **** its Maverick and Goose!":uglyhamme

How bout in the locker room afterward. " We went this way, he went that way, I asked Wolfman, where did he go? Wolfman said WHERE DID WHO GO??????":uglyhamme

Maristar210
04-20-2007, 11:03 AM
I love that part! "Holy **** its Maverick and Goose!":uglyhamme

How bout in the locker room afterward. " We went this way, he went that way, I asked Wolfman, where did he go? Wolfman said WHERE DID WHO GO??????":uglyhamme

It never gets old, even when I want to be over that movie I can't get over it. :D

mbeach
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
way to go puck. got a job doing something fun. had a buddy that went to naval ocs and flew f-4's in nam. re-upped twice and flew commercially after he retired (full commander). this was totally out of character for him, but he got flying in his blood and still flies recreationally today. you will like p-cola. i was raised in jax and spent a little time over there with buddies. thanks for serving enabling the rest of us to enjoy our precious freedom. God bless.

pilot02
04-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Congratulations!! That's awesome!!!!

I have a cousin that's a flight surgeon in the Navy. He get's to fly in pretty much everything they have... Both of our dad's were Navy pilot's as well flying F4U-5 Corsairs during the korean war era. My dad unfortunately got a medical discharge due to an engine fire during take-off which caused him to lose an eye.
I wanted to follow in those same footsteps but killed my chances when I was 12 and had a severe eye injury. Guess it runs in the family... :-(I did get a private license because I love aviation and being around planes, but military's definitely out!

LakePirate
04-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Congrats.

You can't say it too much, thanks for serving.

BriEOD
04-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Good luck brother and have fun at SERE. It is so much fun. :rolleyes:

kurtr
04-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for serving. I had the pleasure of working on some equipement on the runway of Shaw AFB, Mountain Home AFB and Ellsworth AFB, I was like a little kid watching the jets take off all day, what fun it was. I had the honor of working with a fellow employee who was a Marine Helicopter pilot, now he is flying fixed wing planes in the Airforce Reserve.

puck_11
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey everyone,

Been away from the computer for a couple of days...again thanks for the words of encouragement. Hercdriver, thanks for the advice. BriEOD, I am dreading SERE, I have almost a year before I have to go to that. I'll post pics when I get the chance, I have pics from primary in the t-34, but no jet pics yet.

lsupcar
04-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Congratulations. Would you mind sharing what route you have taken that rewards you with your first choice? Resume' or other school/work/military achievments? Thanks and Godspeed. Bill Z

jmac12
04-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Puck,
Congrats. Have fun in advanced. There are some great lakes within a couple hours of Lemoore, and obviously water right there in Va Beach. Your boat will get plenty of use for years to come. Keep it on the happy side.

phecksel
04-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Congrats

Thank you for protecting our way of life

And what a kewl way to do it!

Vegas X-Star
04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
That is great. I have a buddy, Damon Krous that will be driving to Pensacola in a week to start the same program. He currently lives in San Diego and was previously an officer in the Marines.

rick s.
04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Congratulations! This is a really big event and honor. Remember the old adage....there are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

Flew an F18 simulator (big one) at a trade show a few years ago and it was a real gas.

SkiDog
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey man, For ALL you do, this BUDS for YOU! Thank you! Dog

MYMC
04-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Puck, when your ready here is the link you'll need...notice the application forms are listed here: http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm

puck_11
04-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Congratulations. Would you mind sharing what route you have taken that rewards you with your first choice? Resume' or other school/work/military achievments? Thanks and Godspeed. Bill Z

I got a degree in aviation from the University of North Dakota, excellent program up there. Applied for a pilot slot with the Navy and got accepted into OCS. It helped having flight time on my resume, plus I was a college athlete, and had strong test scores and grades. After I graduated in Dec 05, I went to Officer Candidate School in Pensacola, and commisioned 21APR06. Went through Aviation Preflight Indoctrination in in June and July of that summer, which is basically ground school and water survival packed into 6 weeks. Then in August I went to Primary flight training in Corpus Christi, TX. Every flight and sim is graded, so you always have to perform, and those who do the best in primary usually get their first choice. It all depends upon the needs of the Navy though, if they have a P3 or Helo draft that week, even if you have stellar grades, you might be flying something other than what you want. I had awesome grades, and there happened to be a jet draft the week I selected, so it all turned out pretty well.

MYMC, I am way ahead of you, I already have the application downloaded...I just need 1250 more hours of tactical jet time:D
I want to be the lead solo! But first is first, I need to go through advanced and get my wings of gold, then a year of training in the Hornet, and then a sea tour, and then I might be eligible :)

Ric
04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
A Naval aviator in our midst! I salute you! Be careful out there dammit!

boatless
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow !!! I think, I will be going back to school so I can fly a jet some day also. By the time I am done, their should be a plane made in China ready for me. :D

Anyway, have a fun time flying and do a WOT on one of those jet and see how fast it could fly. I'll bet, if the navy put a pair of the MCX in there it would fast. ;)

boatless.

MYMC
04-24-2007, 02:05 PM
MYMC, I am way ahead of you, I already have the application downloaded...I just need 1250 more hours of tactical jet time:D
I want to be the lead solo! But first is first, I need to go through advanced and get my wings of gold, then a year of training in the Hornet, and then a sea tour, and then I might be eligible :)
Congrats to you once again sir! I look forward to being able to hear of your progress through the board here so be sure to update us as time permits.

UND Aerospace is a great program...they did my Cirrus transition course and handle all the Cirrus training great people and program. (too damn cold though)

Keep in touch, I want to see you in that blue F-18 one day and be able to say "hey I know that guy".

#47of100TeamMC
04-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Dont fall for this one my friend!

http://www.czabe.com/mediaclips/index.shtml?a=showclip&id=738

Consider yourself warned. ;)

puck_11
04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Nice...I bet they sent him to go get some prop wash next haha

milkmania
04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Dont fall for this one my friend!

http://www.czabe.com/mediaclips/index.shtml?a=showclip&id=738

Consider yourself warned. ;)

well that just freaked my dogs out!

Willski
04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
My dog is already freaked out. I have a pointer that is afraid of loud noises, such as lighting, nail guns.....wondering if she might be gun shy and that is why she was at the shelter??? She is sweet though.

Willski
04-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Didn't mean to threadjack. I think that is so cool getting a pilot slot. I went to college and signed up for AFROTC. Didn't stick with it though.

lakesnake
05-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Many congratulations and appreciations to you. Be careful out there and have the time of your life.

And just remember, carnal knowledge OF A LADY THIS TIME...