PDA

View Full Version : Oil in bilge

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Got the boat out of storage yesterday. There is oil in my bilge and the engine was a quart low? Any ideas? woudl it be a loose oil filter?

JKTX21
04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Could be your drain tube connection to the pan or even worse, the pan could be rusting. I don't know about your motor, but seems unlikely a quart of oil could have leaked from the filter.

I had to have my pan welded back together last fall, it had a hole in the bottom due to rust.

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 12:32 PM
How hard is it to remove the oil pan?

sanjuan23
04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
ICBW But the engine may have to be pulled up a few feet to get access

JKTX21
04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
John is right, the engine will have to be pulled up to really get under there and see. See my photos, I think I have one with the engine lifted.

I really hope this isn't the case for you, I luckily had my mechanic friend who was willing to take care of it for a good price.

Diesel
04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Cracked block? Did you winterize properly?

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
yes winterized correct. Block shouldnt be cracked. Im hoping it is the oil drain tube.

JKTX21
04-19-2007, 12:44 PM
yes winterized correct. Block shouldnt be cracked. Im hoping it is the oil drain tube.

Even if the block was cracked would it leak out a quart? I thought the engine might hold a quart when sitting in the top of the engine? Doesn't a good bit of oil stay in the pan once everything settles? Isn't that the point of the tray in the oil pan?

I have a lot of questions today!....?

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
You and me both. My dad just took the boat out, im at school and cant even investigate! Is there any way to feel around the oil pan and see if thats where its leaking?

sanjuan23
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
You or your dad should be able to get a few fingers down there and investigate. Best of Luck!

JKTX21
04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
In my boat, there isn't a whole lot of clearance between the bilge and the oil pan, but I managed to get my skinny arm down there and feel that the pan was in fact rusted.

I cleaned the bilge up really good, and put clean paper towels down there, and filled it up with oil and waited to see if I could figure out where it was coming from. I honestly thought it was the connection between the pan and the tube, but I was wrong.

If you don't keep your boat in the water and pull the plug after every use, I don't think it's likely you've rusted a hole in your pan.

chevy08bud
04-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm guessing that it is the oil drain tube. During storage, most if not almost all oil would have drained into the oil pan. Even if you suspect that it could be an oil pan gasket, you would not loose a quart of oil without the engine running. So either the tube is leaking, or you have a slight crack or pinhole in your oil pan. I'd look at the hose first, then look around the pan, below where it bolts up to the engine. All of the oil would be below that line, so it has to be leaking somewhere low.

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
i hope not. it is a 78 tho. Where would the tube be going to the pan. Need to tell my dad where to look.

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
its a 351 ford btw. And thanks for all the responses

sanjuan23
04-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I think the tube feeds right off of the pan at the lowest point. At least that is my memory from Changing the oil last year.

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 01:14 PM
well the oil pan seems fine. He said it wasnt rusted or anything, cant find any oil anywhere just like a cup in the bilge. Maybe left over from last season? Looked at all things connecting oil or anything todo with oil and they seem fine.

sanjuan23
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Just fill'er up with some of that bio-degradable bilge cleaner hose in some water shake and drain! :D

cbryan70
04-19-2007, 01:35 PM
thats what im thinking! Im not to worried if it only leaked out a cup of oil all winter. Its a 78, i check the oil often anyways. thank you all for your replies i will keep you posted

jraben8
04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I'd seriously look at the filter again... 1 quart seems awfully coincidental.

trickskier
04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I would change the oil & filter, clean the bilge, run the engine and see if any oil returns to the bilge area. My guess would be that the seal may have broken on the oil filter during the winter or with the angle that the engine sits possibly a rear main seal.

Good Luck, hope you find the source of the leak.

Sodar
04-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I would change the oil & filter, clean the bilge, run the engine and see if any oil returns to the bilge area. My guess would be that the seal may have broken on the oil filter during the winter or with the angle that the engine sits possibly a rear main seal.

Good Luck, hope you find the source of the leak.

Definitely the best course of action. Clean the bilge good and possibly even throw some oil diapers down there... the white makes leaks easier to trace.

Prostar Rich
04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
When you change the oil filter make sure that the old gasket from the old filter didn't stick to the oil filter base thus having a double gasket that would cause a leak.

Prostar Rich

trickskier
04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Definitely the best course of action. Clean the bilge good and possibly even throw some oil diapers down there... the white makes leaks easier to trace.
Great idea, the diapers would definitely help isolate the area of the leak: front, rear, right or left side.

JKTX21
04-19-2007, 03:57 PM
You guys are crazy, I told him to clean the bilge two hours ago!
:D

trickskier
04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
You guys are crazy, I told him to clean the bilge two hours ago!
:D
No, I saw it. Sorry, I just added changing the oil & filter to eliminate the posibility of a bad o-ring seal.

JKTX21
04-19-2007, 04:19 PM
No, I saw it. Sorry, I just added changing the oil & filter to eliminate the posibility of a bad o-ring seal.

Is the filter at an angle on the Windsor? I believe mine is vertical to the earth.

sanjuan23
04-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Yup! .........

Sodar
04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Great idea, the diapers would definitely help isolate the area of the leak: front, rear, right or left side.

Jeez Rick! A true captain speaking here... let me correct your poor verbage.

What Rick meant to say is you can detect the leak: Forward, Aft, Starboard or Port.

milkmania
04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
In my boat, there isn't a whole lot of clearance between the bilge and the oil pan, but I managed to get my skinny arm down there and feel that the pan was in fact rusted.

you shoulda seen me.........

reached all the way under my motor to get to the inside starter bolt:eek3:

(from port side to starboard side)

got my arm stuck on the transmission cooler.....
the cell phone was one foot out of my reach...
didn't lose too much skin:o

trickskier
04-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Jeez Rick! A true captain speaking here... let me correct your poor verbage.

What Rick meant to say is you can detect the leak: Forward, Aft, Starboard or Port.
Why thank you Captain Sodar.........I seem to have forgotten my Nautical Terminology..................;)

JKTX21
04-29-2007, 12:07 AM
What ended up being the problem CB?

cbryan70
04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
got all the oil out and waited for more oil to drip. Still nothing.