PDA

View Full Version : Broken ski plaform--91 PS 190--with pics

HoustonAttorney
04-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Last night I was lifting up on the platform to move the boat, which had been beached. I know, I know. Bad idea. :o Anyway, I broke a piece of the teak wood.

Take a look at the pics. The teak did not break off, it just separated at one of the vent slats on the starboard side. I think it is repairable. But what is the strongest fix?

Can it be glued effectively? What should I use? Thanks in advance for some advice.

Evan Jones
04-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Titebond 3 or Gorilla Glue. It looks like you can get a couple screws to grab it from underneath as well. Should glue up fine.

east tx skier
04-19-2007, 11:13 AM
You might also check with ...

Teak World Enterprises
98 Whippoorwill Rd
Lebanon, TN 37090
(615) 444-7269

I retapped the screws on mine last year. One thing to consider when using adhesives on teak is that it is oily. Before setting my plugs in epoxy, I gave the area to be glued a good cleaning with mineral spirits.

MMCCAR12
04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
A real good epoxy will fix that right up. Glue it and sand it. It will never look the same but will still work great. Mine had a similar problem and we put air chairs, boards , 2 people at a time without any problems.

Ryan
04-19-2007, 11:16 AM
No wood glue that I know of will hold up in the water and any epoxy will be more brittle than I'd want in a platform that's supposed to flex.

I think you'll be best off to drill a hole or two from the bottom and add two more screws to the array you see below. You could probably space them out to get them to look near OEM. It would be great to have some glue as well if anyone else can recomend one.

Ryan
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Titebond 3 or Gorilla Glue. It looks like you can get a couple screws to grab it from underneath as well. Should glue up fine.

I tried Gorilla glue in another wet application (not on my boat) and it did not perform well...

HoustonAttorney
04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the ideas so far. On further review (from the underside of the platform), the break line goes along aline of three existing screws. Those screws are pretty loose now. Should I take the screws out, glue the teak together, then put the screws back in once the glue dries?

Again, what are you recommending for glue? I see some debate on that topic.

Evan Jones
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I'd take the screws out, glue it up, and redrill and rescrew into an area away from the crack line.

wesgardner
04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
You can use acetone to de-wax/de-oil and a good epoxy...if you do it correctly, it'll hold...the trick is to get good saturation with epoxy..most people end up with a dry joint, thus a failure...you can probably buy small quantities of WEST System that'll work

It is correct that teak has a fair amount of natural oil in it

Sodar
04-19-2007, 01:04 PM
You can use acetone to de-wax/de-oil and a good epoxy...if you do it correctly, it'll hold...there are just too many boats built from wood/epoxy (no fasteners at all) to consider otherwise...the trick is to get good saturation with epoxy..most people end up with a dry joint, thus a failure...you can probably buy small quantities of WEST System that'll work

Another A+ for West Systems... grew up using that stuff on my granddad's old boat..

wesgardner
04-19-2007, 01:11 PM
The Gougeon Brothers pioneered this epoxy stuff relative to boatbuilding and have documented their practices carefully...that's why I recommend their system...there are others that are less expensive

mbeach
04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
when you glue, be sure to clamp for good bonding.

wesgardner
04-19-2007, 02:01 PM
But DO NOT overclamp - another common error....you want some glue to remain in/at the joint...

PE4ME
04-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Gorilla glue WILL work. I am on my 3rd year with a similar crack.
as stated earlier:
use mineral spirits on the joint
run a few SS screws along where possible, back them out enough to allow glue
gorilla glue per directions
clamp snuggly if no screws are possible
sand access glue and apply favorite teak only
No worries, worked great and people never notice unless I point it out.
I have a friend who is a beefeater @ 250# so it has been load tested as well.
good luck

east tx skier
04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
If you're going to reset your screws, drill out the holes, dry out the oil (see above), add some epoxy, and pound in some teak plugs. Sand them smooth.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
When I bought my 91 a few years back, the back of the deck had a similar break. I got a piece of teak and made a new part using the old one as a template. Not a tough job if you have a few tools available. All the parts just screw together so disassembly and reassembly of the platform is a piece of cake

atlfootr
04-19-2007, 08:32 PM
If LLSkr can do it, so can you 8p

WAT8415
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I had a similar problem, but much worse. I went to the local hardwood dealer in town, and bought a piece of teak, cost me about $70.00. Make sure you get it "7 wide as mine was about 6.5" wide and I had to glue some ends on it to match the curve as I miss calculated how wide it was. I used Gorilla Glue to bond the additional pieces and it seems to have worked well. Use the old piece as the template and cut it out with a jig saw and sand it down. Here is the before picture.

WAT8415
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Here is the finished product.

WAT8415
04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Looks like we have the same boat! Love the color.

HoustonAttorney
04-19-2007, 10:22 PM
WAT8415 you are inspiring me amigo! But mine is a smaller break so I am going to try and repair it before I total her out.

PE4ME
04-20-2007, 03:52 AM
I wanted to get on the water ASAP and with my lack of wood skills or patients I thought I would take my chances with repair although props to the guys who did it the right way...looks great.

wesgardner
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
You know, I have absolutely NO experience with Gorilla glue, but since it appears to be urethane based, if it has anywhere near the tenacity of 5200, it'll work just fine.

the reason I recommend epoxy is I've built entire hulls using wood/epoxy composite, so I know the stuff quite well (and usually have spare resin and thickeners sitting around the shop)

Good luck - you can do it...

WAT8415
04-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Good luck on it Houston, as you can see there was a few screws added to the swim deck to help hold that crack in check. It eventually gave up and broke. It was that way when I got the boat and it did get me through the season. Keep us posted on what you did.