PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoil Jump

nuckinfutz
04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Im not sure if this is old news or not... Anyone else see this on Stunt Junkies? I happen to be flicken through the channels the other night, saw a sundeck that looked a little familiar, so I continued to watch.

http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/player.html?playerId=203711706&categoryId=208816812&lineupId=164950249&titleId=464190668

I want a airchair now!!:D

bigpack20
04-18-2007, 06:36 PM
sweet link. that jump is sick

captain planet
04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I have to tell you, that video disappoints me. There is this guy on our lake that rides an air-chair and he is really good at it. I have to give credit where credit is due, the guy can fly. But he jumps over the bow of peoples boats all the time. He will have his driver come right at you and turn away a few yards away so he can use your wake to get a little more lift, EVEN if your pulling a skiier.:noface: Makes my blood boil. :rant: I mean, not only is it rude and inconsiderate, its a safety hazard. If that guy would happen to miss or something, that foil could cut someones head off! He has gotten a few citations for his actions, but I really don't think he has learned much from it. He still pulls his stunts.

That video actually shows/promotes jumping over another boat. Bad, bad, bad. :mad: I hope this goof-ball doesn't see this, it may give him some ideas.

He has made so many people mad that just thinking about riding an air-chair automatically makes people on our lake think of this guy, which in turn makes us not want to ride one.

OK, I'm off my soap-box now.

nuckinfutz
04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I have to tell you, that video disappoints me. There is this guy on our lake that rides an air-chair and he is really good at it. I have to give credit where credit is due, the guy can fly. But he jumps over the bow of peoples boats all the time. He will have his driver come right at you and turn away a few yards away so he can use your wake to get a little more lift, EVEN if your pulling a skiier.:noface: Makes my blood boil. :rant: I mean, not only is it rude and inconsiderate, its a safety hazard. If that guy would happen to miss or something, that foil could cut someones head off! He has gotten a few citations for his actions, but I really don't think he has learned much from it. He still pulls his stunts.

That video actually shows/promotes jumping over another boat. Bad, bad, bad. :mad: I hope this goof-ball doesn't see this, it may give him some ideas.

He has made so many people mad that just thinking about riding an air-chair automatically makes people on our lake think of this guy, which in turn makes us not want to ride one.

OK, I'm off my soap-box now.

Wow, That guy sounds like a jerk. I hate it when Ski fleas jump my wake when I towing someone. I have no problem making wake just for them to jump if they like (as long as Im not making havoc for other people on the lake). I have had PWC come within feet of me on a wakeboard behind my boat, Its just stupid. Especially since Im the guy who would waste gas for them to amuse them in a safer mannor.

AirJunky
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Yea, I know who your talking about, Capt. His name is Chip (red, black & white Air Nautique) & while he's a helluva rider, he does this one stunt that is just plain stupid. We've told him numerous times & he still does it.

He likes to hit an oncoming boat's wake, hard & fast, and bust out a big gainer. The problem is if your driving head on to another boat, the law is you stay to the right as you pass them, keeping them on your left. But Chip can only do that huge gainer on the right side of the boat. So he will literally tell the driver to pass the oncoming boat so it passes on his right, essentially driving on the left side.
I can't tell you how many times we've argued about this one with him & he just doesn't give a damn. And when he busts out a 25' gainer, typically the other boat driver doesn't care either.

But hey, I've had the same problem with slalom skiers & most recently, surfers. They want the inside line, no matter what it takes, even if it means driving 10' from the docks. And when I confront them, they pull this line of bull about foils not needing the glassy water.

BTW, he's not riding an Air Chair either.

duckguy
04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
It looks really fun but I bet it is really hard to even get up on.

bobbyB
04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Captain

Sorry that this guy is doing what he's doing. It frustrates me to be a part of the foiling community and hear about fellow foilers dragging the sport down. Often the first thing I hear people say after seeing my foil is "I"M not gettin' on that thing! It looks dangerous!" (truth is, I've hurt myself far worse at most of the other water sports) Because of peoples initial reaction to the sport, most of the foilers I know tend to be EXTRA careful not to shed a negative light. We all know what a blast foiling is and can barely contain ourselves when given the chance to tell/teach someone about the sport. For the short duration of this thread, I'll be an embassador for the sport and offer up appoligies.

Maybe some day you'll run into one of us out there and we can teach you about how fun this is.

Duckguy

Not as hard as you might think. Way harder to learn to get up on a wakeboard IMHO. Usually when the person tires out and stops trying so hard is when they all the sudden pop up.

B

AirJunky
04-18-2007, 08:03 PM
It's a finesse thing & doesn't require a lot of strength. If you try & muscle it, it can get tough to do. I've taught people who get up their first time, and others who don't get up for 4 days.
I've done all the disciplines behind a boat. And the foil is by far the most fun of them all. The first time you feel that sense of "flying" across the wake without touching it, the smile is worth the price.

nuckinfutz
04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Where do I sign up? I would love to try it before making the dent in my bank account to find Im not that addicted.

bobbyB
04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Where do I sign up? I would love to try it before making the dent in my bank account to find Im not that addicted.

http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=d5d8a4aefaffe74b3e5eec967b2013cd

Go to the above site and post that you are in the SD area, and ask if anyone there is willing to give you a tug. We see it all the time when someone is new to the sport and wants to try it before they buy it. If there's anyone in the area, they'll probably jump at the chance to take you.

If this doesn't work PM me and I'll do some checking for you.

B

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-18-2007, 08:24 PM
...... before making the dent in my bank account to find Im not that addicted.
That will not happen! I haven't taught a single person that didn't want one after the first flight.

bobbyB
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
That will not happen! I haven't taught a single person that didn't want one after the first flight.

TRU DAT!..

SkySkiSpokane
04-18-2007, 08:59 PM

ADDICTED HERE!! ;)

ProTour X9
04-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, That guy sounds like a jerk. I hate it when Ski fleas jump my wake when I towing someone. I have no problem making wake just for them to jump if they like (as long as Im not making havoc for other people on the lake). I have had PWC come within feet of me on a wakeboard behind my boat, Its just stupid. Especially since Im the guy who would waste gas for them to amuse them in a safer mannor.

Is there a thread about the stupidity of PWCs, if not there should be one.

captain planet
04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Yea, I know who your talking about, Capt. His name is Chip (red, black & white Air Nautique) & while he's a helluva rider, he does this one stunt that is just plain stupid. We've told him numerous times & he still does it.

He likes to hit an oncoming boat's wake, hard & fast, and bust out a big gainer. The problem is if your driving head on to another boat, the law is you stay to the right as you pass them, keeping them on your left. But Chip can only do that huge gainer on the right side of the boat. So he will literally tell the driver to pass the oncoming boat so it passes on his right, essentially driving on the left side.
I can't tell you how many times we've argued about this one with him & he just doesn't give a damn. And when he busts out a 25' gainer, typically the other boat driver doesn't care either.

But hey, I've had the same problem with slalom skiers & most recently, surfers. They want the inside line, no matter what it takes, even if it means driving 10' from the docks. And when I confront them, they pull this line of bull about foils not needing the glassy water.

BTW, he's not riding an Air Chair either.

Yea, he rides a SkySki I know. I know his name as well, I just didn't want to use it here.

I'm curious how you know this guy if your all the way out in washington?

captain planet
04-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Captain

Sorry that this guy is doing what he's doing. It frustrates me to be a part of the foiling community and hear about fellow foilers dragging the sport down. Often the first thing I hear people say after seeing my foil is "I"M not gettin' on that thing! It looks dangerous!" (truth is, I've hurt myself far worse at most of the other water sports) Because of peoples initial reaction to the sport, most of the foilers I know tend to be EXTRA careful not to shed a negative light. We all know what a blast foiling is and can barely contain ourselves when given the chance to tell/teach someone about the sport. For the short duration of this thread, I'll be an embassador for the sport and offer up appoligies.

Maybe some day you'll run into one of us out there and we can teach you about how fun this is.

Duckguy

Not as hard as you might think. Way harder to learn to get up on a wakeboard IMHO. Usually when the person tires out and stops trying so hard is when they all the sudden pop up.

B
Appologies accepted. It is sad that this one guy has put a stigma on the sport for many people on our lake. As soon as you start talking about riding one of these to people around our lake, they bring up this guy and then the conversation goes south because many have seen what this guy does.

They look cool but the cost I think is what keeps most people away.

TOO-TALL
04-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Appologies accepted. It is sad that this one guy has put a stigma on the sport for many people on our lake. As soon as you start talking about riding one of these to people around our lake, they bring up this guy and then the conversation goes south because many have seen what this guy does.

They look cool but the cost I think is what keeps most people away.

I know the guy too......Hydrofoilers are a small community and we need to promote the sport not piss people off like "this Clown" does.Its always one bad apple that has to ruin it for the rest of us.

Anyway,I think your right about the price but, sometimes you can find a used hydrofoil on ebay...cheap.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Anyway,I think your right about the price but, sometimes you can find a used hydrofoil on ebay...cheap.
In this case, cheap is a relative term......and you might come out ahead getting one just a couple of years old rather than the lowest price possible....some of the early ones had their problems. I would hesitate on anything under the $500-$700 range.

atlfootr
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
There's a guy on my lake that uses one as well, he doesn't alwalys respect other peoples water.
Whenever we see him, we wait until he's through before we foot.

atlfootr
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
There's a guy on my lake that uses one as well, he doesn't alwalys respect other peoples water.
Whenever we see him, we wait until he's through before we foot.

flyingskibiker
04-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I knew I saw this thread here a while ago. So, when I actually caught the episode on TV, I had to check it out. Well, the main reason was because I saw MCs doing doing the towing... Then, what do I see on the side of the X-Star? BAWS!!! Nice! :D

AirJunky
07-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Yea, he rides a SkySki I know. I know his name as well, I just didn't want to use it here.

I'm curious how you know this guy if your all the way out in washington?
Skied with him a bunch of times, mostly at the Florida, MN & TN Fly-ins. Like Too Tall said, it's a small niche group of riders & it's not uncommon to hook up with others as you travel around.

bigmac
07-18-2007, 08:57 AM
I knew I saw this thread here a while ago. So, when I actually caught the episode on TV, I had to check it out. Well, the main reason was because I saw MCs doing doing the towing... Then, what do I see on the side of the X-Star? BAWS!!! Nice! :D

Here's another video Geno@BAWS... (http://www.foilfreaks.com/Misc/Geno-LakeBonny-1-04.wmv)

Geno is or was a BAWS-sponsored rider and also an MC Team rider.