PDA

View Full Version : Clarion XMD3

dh_bennison
04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi

I am think of fitting a Clarion XMD3 stereo in my 205. You can get a remote for these which I was thinking of mounting at the back of the boat.

Has anybody done this and do you have any tips before I start putting large holes in the boat!

Also the pic I have seen of the XMD3 make it look quite big. Will it fit in the existing space for a head unit?

Ric
04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
dont do it

Ric
04-18-2007, 02:32 PM
it's big, bulky, too smart for it's own good and the transom remote will short out when it gets wet and will make you think there's something wrong with your entire stereo system... go with a different unit unless you have the hole in your boat cust specifically for this unit already
:twocents:

dh_bennison
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok thanks for the tip.

Any advise on what head unit to get that will fit in the existing hole in the dash? My only criteria is that is has to be waterproof and I have to be able to use a Ipod with it

Cheers

wtoddburns
04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I had to get a polished stainless plate cut to go behind my CMD3 for my 209 because the factory hole was bigger. As far as remotes, clarion has problems with water. I just installed a new driver remote and got caught in the rain and it quit working already. My clarion head units have worked great.

dh_bennison
04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Who makes the best waterproof stereos then?

JBaker
04-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Clarion makes by FAR the best waterproof stereo. There is really no comparison. If you are an iPod guy, I highly recommend the CMD4A or CMD5 with the EA1276B interface. I also love their remotes, which have the ability to display all of your iPod info. Go with the CMRC-1 rather than the older M301RC (which may have been prone to moisture intrusion)

JBaker
04-19-2007, 10:02 AM
The best part about Clarion is that they stand behind their product. If you ever do have any issues, they take care of it and quickly. Probably the reason MC uses them!

Ric
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
I just would not recommend the xmd3 to anybody, nor the transom remote

dapicatti
04-20-2007, 09:45 PM
We have the CMD4A and the Clarion transom remote. Both worked perfectly until the break in of our storage unit. Only thing I would change is to put the remote by the driver instead of the transom. Used it occasionally, we just ordered another remote for the driver from MYMC.