PDA

View Full Version : Web Site HELP!!!!!

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I figure there have to be a couple of you guys who know something about this.... :confused:

I'm the proud owner of a new web site. Well it's more of a web page at this point but it's a starting point. The problem being that when I type anything related, or even specifically the web site name, into google it dosen't come up. How does a guy get a little recongnition on google?? By the way it's not really presentable yet so I'm not going to go into details but I'd like to get this stuff figured out in advance.

Carlos

p.s. I've joined adwords but my budget is minimal at this point as I don't want to much attention yet...

dmayer84
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
You have to wait for the "web spyder" to crawl and find your page. How long has it been up?

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
About a week. Is there any way to point the spyder in the right direction?

dmayer84
04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Nope it just a waiting game, unless you want to pay google for page ranking

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
So in that case when I change my website, as it is now just two pages, I'll have to wait again to get more recognition for having a better site?

dmayer84
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Yep, thats how it works. The site that I made for the pizza shop I work at comes up number 4 when you google it. The other pages that come up are places that just happen to have us listed as a restaurant.

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
So why are you fourth then? There has got to be more to it!?!?

Carlos

by the way I'll take a slice of peperoni!! Me's hungry!!

hester
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
There are no guarantees but there are two good ways to get the ball rolling. I did this and it got us on google and several others within a month or so. Make sure you populate your meta keywords on your website so the crawlers will see them.

Step One:
http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

Step Two:
Visit http://dmoz.org/ and browse to the category that most accruactly describes your site. Then at the top click Suggest URL and follow the instructions.

Jmatt15
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
What program did you use to design your site? I know you can put keywords into your Meta Tag description that search engines will pick up on. Check on this website:

http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/seo/googletop10.htm

Danimal
04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Carlos - Do you have meta tags set up in the header in of your page? I beielve most search engines rely on these meta tags when someone types in a search value.

http://www.philb.com/metatag.htm

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
What program did you use to design your site? I know you can put keywords into your Meta Tag description that search engines will pick up on. Check on this website:

http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/seo/googletop10.htm

My cousin designed the site. It's still in progress put she (and her husband) are using a Plone site I think???

Hester thanks for the links I'll check them out!

Carlos

Mag_Red
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Sure are some smart MoFo's here!:headbang:

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
So the metatag's would be put in by the site designer or the "webmaster"? Can they be changed with time?

I always thought gerneral words were good.... like "vacation" , But i've been reading things that are telling me to be the most specific possible?? Is that right?

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
What about multiple domain names all directed to one site?

Jmatt15
04-18-2007, 05:43 PM
So the metatag's would be put in by the site designer or the "webmaster"? Can they be changed with time?

I always thought gerneral words were good.... like "vacation" , But i've been reading things that are telling me to be the most specific possible?? Is that right?

The meta-tags can be changed by the designer or webmaster. It's very easy to do. The link below gives some good meta-tag advice:

http://www.grantasticdesigns.com/metatagtips.html

M-Funf
04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Sure are some smart MoFo's here!:headbang:

Yeah, but they're speakin' some foreign language...HEY MOD'S, don't we have a rule about only posting in english 8p

edit: P.S. Good luck with the website Carlos..........How's Belize?

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks Jennifer

Great info!!

Carlos

CarlosCabanas
04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah, but they're speakin' some foreign language...HEY MOD'S, don't we have a rule about only posting in english 8p

edit: P.S. Good luck with the website Carlos..........How's Belize?

Thanks Jeff

I'm actually not in Belize yet.... it's going to be a long haul...

I'm staying at the inlaws for another week here in Québec, then off to Alberta to see my family and finish renovating my grandpa's 1950 homemade Cabin Cruiser, back to Maine for a timber framing course, back to Alberta for the official boat launching and then sometime in July we head to Belize!!

Carlos

phecksel
04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
The other sure fire way to get noticed, is have multiple sites link to your site. If the web crawlers start seeing the links, elsewhere, they will visit your site to see what's going on. Kiss of death is to have a coming soon on a new page.

CarlosCabanas
04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
So what if the words coming soon are in the text but the page is full operational and informative.... for example the web site is finished but it's about a project that is coming soon??

Ric
04-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks Jeff

I'm actually not in Belize yet.... it's going to be a long haul...

I'm staying at the inlaws for another week here in Québec, then off to Alberta to see my family and finish renovating my grandpa's 1950 homemade Cabin Cruiser, back to Maine for a timber framing course, back to Alberta for the official boat launching and then sometime in July we head to Belize!!

Carlos you are gonna be one buzy dude

onlyinboards
04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
what is the site so we can look at it. google has two bots, one that comes frequently and one that does not. use the google/webmaster/tools to submit a sitemap and you can see what google is doing on your site. Use free meta tags analyzers to check meta relevancy, page content relevancy, etc. You need a lot of pages too. 1-10 page sites are going to have a hard time competing.

CarlosCabanas
04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
what is the site so we can look at it. google has two bots, one that comes frequently and one that does not. use the google/webmaster/tools to submit a sitemap and you can see what google is doing on your site. Use free meta tags analyzers to check meta relevancy, page content relevancy, etc. You need a lot of pages too. 1-10 page sites are going to have a hard time competing.

Thanks for the info!! It's still more of a webpage than a site so I'd rather not put it on here yet. First impressions are everything.... don't know how many people on here will eventually come to Belize on vacation!!

Carlos