PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle & Rig Photos

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

jimmer2880
02-28-2005, 06:37 AM
My 3-wheeler probably doesn't have the HP that you are used to, but it'll "GET HER DONE"! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

We have a 90 degree garage that is impossible to use the truck to move the boat. It took four strong people and a half hour to maneuver our loaded tandem trailer into or out of the garage. After doing it twice, I decided either I was going the find a better solution or the boat was going to stay outside. Well I'm here to tell you the boat wasn't going to stay outside so I got busy and found a solution. Actually, it solved my second problem as well. Even with my tower folded down the only way to get the boat through the garage door was to drop the tongue. This problem was solved by the drop in the arm from the dolly. This combo works great. I can move the boat in or out one handed in just a couple minutes. I found the dolly at http://www.powermoverinc.net (http://www.powermoverinc.net/) and worked with them on the right drop for the arm. The unit isn’t cheap, but well worth the $$$ to me.

Nice rig. I won't be buying one, but am curious... how much $$$'s for the 3-wheeled towing thingy? That looks awsome!

boatwake
02-28-2005, 07:47 AM
The powered dolly is about $1k :eek: with the drop arm and shipping. I wouldn't have even considered one with the single axel trailer I had with my previous boat, but our new boat has a tandem trailer. I can't use the truck to get the boat in/out of our side entry garage and trying to move/turn a tandem trailer by hand took four of us and was still very difficult. The powered dolly has solved my problem. It's rated to move 20k lbs on a 15 deg slope (I personally think that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it moves the X2 without a problem).

mitch
02-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Jimmer, From looking at the link, looks like $900-1000. Nice!

mika
02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
FYI on H2 towing abilities. They are not the best. The 35" tires kill them. Besided skiing I like to snowmobile. Heading to Canada on a trip and one of the vehicles was a H2. He was pulling the same trailer as me 20' enclosed with 4 snowmobiles. He got real bad gas mileage and had a hard time pulling the weight. I guess the trailer to be 4500-5000 pounds. I was pulling with GMC 2500HD Crewcab we both have the same engine and the same axle ratio with 265 tires. I had zero problems did not even notice it back there.

All depends on what you towing and how often

mitch
03-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Yesterday I spent some time behind the wheel of an 05 Escolade. Nice rig, a little tired on the styling end of it, but a very sweet ride, and handled very well! I was impressed.

Storm861triple
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I have a '96 Chevy 1500, x-cab, s-bed, 4x4, 350, 5 speed, w/3.73's.

I personally think its the best GAS tow rig ever made and here's why:
*I get 21+ mpg when empty on the highway @ 75 mph (calculated w/a calculator; miles driven/gallons pumped)
*I get 14+ mpg towing my '92 PS 190 @ 75 mph through the Utah mountains.
*I can climb Parley's Canyon (I-80 between SLC and Park City UT) in 5th gear all the way, at 75 mph
*I can climb Parleys Canyon towing my PS 190 at 75 mph
*It has 140,000 miles to date and has needed a clutch, and front pads and rotors.
*I tow it to Lake Powell and back to Park City on a regular basis. That's a 700 mile round trip...for a weekend. That's also 3500' elevation change, and through the Mountains and UT desert in temps up to 115* F.

Let's see a Ford do ANY TWO of the above. Their currrent drivetrain just can't hang with this one.

And for the Ford transmission debate earlier in this thread, anyone who wants to know, just go to a trans rebuilding shop and ask what brand they do the most work on. Then you'll know.

Here's a pic of my Chevy at the top if "Lionsback" in Moab Utah. Yes, I drove it up (and down) Lionsback. And yes, my palms were sweaty!

BriEOD
03-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I own neither brand nor do I have a preference, but if what you say is true why is the Ford F-Series truck the #1 selling "vehicle" on the planet according to consumer reports?

Mag_Red
03-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I own neither brand nor do I have a preference, but if what you say is true why is the Ford F-Series truck the #1 selling "vehicle" on the planet according to consumer reports?Because they discount the crap out of them. J D powers listed Chevy as the longest lasting truck on the planet.( highest % of trucks sold still on the road today) So which would you rather have????? The one that sells the most?? Or the one that last the longest???? :steering:

Cloaked
03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Everyone has some nice vehicles to tow with. Even the Ford guys!!! LOL.... :D

Diesel power does the trick for me. :steering:

Diesel fumes make me horny. :banana:

MasterMason
03-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Because they discount the crap out of them. J D powers listed Chevy as the longest lasting truck on the planet.( highest % of trucks sold still on the road today) So which would you rather have????? The one that sells the most?? Or the one that last the longest???? :steering:

My old 67 ford does just fine, looks like crap, but it will pull the snot out of anything you want to hang off the back of it.

Mag_Red
03-01-2005, 07:50 PM
My old 67 ford does just fine, looks like crap, but it will pull the snot out of anything you want to hang off the back of it. I had a '69 Ford long time ago. So how are your frame mounts on the truck??? I had to place a 2x4 between the frame and the cab to keep the steering column from binding.

MasterMason
03-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I had a '69 Ford long time ago. So how are your frame mounts on the truck??? I had to place a 2x4 between the frame and the cab to keep the steering column from binding.

They are fine. My uncle bought it new, he used the hell out of it, it is the old camper special 250 with reinforced everything. Manual steering, manual choke, no radio etc... I actually think I will do a frame up restore on it, as it is fairly simple and give it to my younger boy when he turns 16. Your first car should be as indestructable as possible.

Mag_Red
03-01-2005, 07:56 PM
They are fine. My uncle bought it new, he used the hell out of it, it is the old camper special 250 with reinforced everything. Manual steering, manual choke, no radio etc... I actually think I will do a frame up restore on it, as it is fairly simple and give it to my younger boy when he turns 16. Your first car should be as indestructable as possible.Mine was a Camper special too! Mentioning the manual chock brought back some memories. :D Don't see that anymore.

MasterMason
03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Mine was a Camper special too! Mentioning the manual chock brought back some memories. :D Don't see that anymore.

lol....nope and whenever someone borrows it and you try and explain it, they look at you like your stupid or something :uglyhamme

Storm861triple
03-01-2005, 08:14 PM
I own neither brand nor do I have a preference, but if what you say is true why is the Ford F-Series truck the #1 selling "vehicle" on the planet according to consumer reports?

LOL, good question. Lot's of reasons that don't necessarily corrilate to reliability and performance.

*Brand loyalty
*Model history
*More models (F-150 thru F-550)
*LOOKS <- That's a big one.
*Price
*Marketing
*Preconcieved notions -"My paw had a [insert brand], so I'm buyin' a [insert same brand] <- And right there is the biggest one.

I think years ago, I'm talking '50's, '60's and '70's here, I honestly think Ford was building a better truck than Chevy. Add to that that they started the whole "F-Series" designations before GM or Chrysler got into the 1500/2500/3500 system, which gave each line of Ford truck a readily identifiable Model brand/name that made sense relative to payload ratings. IMO, Ford took the truck market more seriously than the other brands did back then and got their foot in many doors before the other two caught on. That "momentum" carries on, and I think that is the largest part of why the F series is the #1 selling LINE.

Lastly, and I may be incorrect about this, but I believe that GM sells more pickups than Ford when you combine GMC and Chevy, which as we know are exactly the same thing.

One more thing. By my post I wasn't saying that "Chevy is better than Ford", though I see now that it appears that way. I was saying that CURRENTLY, in the gas market, Ford is not competative w/GM. Ford launched an engineering campaign a while ago to build an engine to compete w/the "Hemi" and the Gen III Small block engines, but they discontinued it due to financial issues. If their current engine was cometative, why did they persue another engine line?

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/products/lane.hurricane04feb05.htm

Cloaked
03-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Thread 100% jacked..... :D

MasterMason
03-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Thread 100% jacked..... :D

ok. sorry, we can now return to our regularly scheduled thread :toast:

sully
03-01-2005, 09:41 PM
more like my everday vehicle.
03 Chevy Z71 Silverado with 4.8L V8 with 3.73 gears.
Because its my everday vehicle is why I went with the 4.8, I drive 25 miles one way to work everday, so I wanted something with better mileage. So...I'm really glad to hear how well Mag's truck has done.
The way I look at it, I only tow about 5% of the time due to our long winters, so why spend the extra money for an extra 15 hp.

Mag_Red
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Nice looking rig Sully! Now if you need a little more umph........check these guys (http://www.ststurbo.com/) out. If mine didn't have so many miles on it, I'd really consider it. :wavey:

BriEOD
03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
LOL, good question. Lot's of reasons that don't necessarily corrilate to reliability and performance.

*Brand loyalty
*Model history
*More models (F-150 thru F-550)
*LOOKS <- That's a big one.
*Price
*Marketing
*Preconcieved notions -"My paw had a [insert brand], so I'm buyin' a [insert same brand] <- And right there is the biggest one.

I think years ago, I'm talking '50's, '60's and '70's here, I honestly think Ford was building a better truck than Chevy. Add to that that they started the whole "F-Series" designations before GM or Chrysler got into the 1500/2500/3500 system, which gave each line of Ford truck a readily identifiable Model brand/name that made sense relative to payload ratings. IMO, Ford took the truck market more seriously than the other brands did back then and got their foot in many doors before the other two caught on. That "momentum" carries on, and I think that is the largest part of why the F series is the #1 selling LINE.

Lastly, and I may be incorrect about this, but I believe that GM sells more pickups than Ford when you combine GMC and Chevy, which as we know are exactly the same thing.

One more thing. By my post I wasn't saying that "Chevy is better than Ford", though I see now that it appears that way. I was saying that CURRENTLY, in the gas market, Ford is not competative w/GM. Ford launched an engineering campaign a while ago to build an engine to compete w/the "Hemi" and the Gen III Small block engines, but they discontinued it due to financial issues. If their current engine was cometative, why did they persue another engine line?

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/products/lane.hurricane04feb05.htm

Good answer. If I had one to pick today I would buy the Ford. A big reason is I think the GM styling is off the mark. I strongly dislike the new front end of the GM's. I think Ford has some better packages: King Ranch, Lariat, etc. When we bought my wife her Expedition last year we looked hard at the Tahoes. The comprable Chevy SUV was $10K more than the Ford. I realize it varies with dealers but a $10K difference between a Z71 Tahoe and an Eddie Bauer Expedition. They're both nice vehicles and with a $10K difference it's a no brainer. Plus, and while it may not be a ton of money off, Ford offers a military discount and GM doesn't...

Storm861triple
03-01-2005, 10:37 PM
I agree w/you on teh looks of the current Chevys; it's not good, IMO. Why didn't they keep the '99-'02 front end when they upgraded the engines?!

I will agree that the Ford King Ranch is gorgeous. I think the interior is absolutely the most beautiful I have ever seen. And those leather seats!! Wow! But I'm about form following function, and even though the Ford does IMO loolk much better, the 5600+ lb curb weight bugs the crap out of me. And the drive train is just O.K. when it could be great. So for me the Chev gets the nod, but I totally hear what you're saying too BriEOD. And that $10k discrepancy on the SUV prices it a no brainer for sure if that's what yoru local dealers had them set at.

Cloaked
03-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Jacked again... :uglyhamme :D :D

Mag_Red
03-02-2005, 05:43 AM
I agree w/you on teh looks of the current Chevys; it's not good, IMO. Why didn't they keep the '99-'02 front end when they upgraded the engines?!

I will agree that the Ford King Ranch is gorgeous. I think the interior is absolutely the most beautiful I have ever seen. And those leather seats!! Wow! But I'm about form following function, and even though the Ford does IMO loolk much better, the 5600+ lb curb weight bugs the crap out of me. And the drive train is just O.K. when it could be great. So for me the Chev gets the nod, but I totally hear what you're saying too BriEOD. And that $10k discrepancy on the SUV prices it a no brainer for sure if that's what yoru local dealers had them set at. I couldn't have said it better about the Ford and the King Ranch.........I just wanted to sit in it and inhale the smell of those seats! Man they smell good! Ford body with chevy running gear would be the schnizit :banana: Do you ever think chevy will ever do away with big chrome bumpers on the front of their truck? Or redesign the interiors???

jimmer2880
03-02-2005, 06:12 AM
I couldn't have said it better about the Ford and the King Ranch.........I just wanted to sit in it and inhale the smell of those seats! Man they smell good! Ford body with chevy running gear would be the schnizit :banana: Do you ever think chevy will ever do away with big chrome bumpers on the front of their truck? Or redesign the interiors???

I like the big chrome bumpers... and don't really mind the new chevy look - although, I agree the 99 era was the best. But - That king ranch sure is nice! I love the "big and tall" look of the new Fords. Seems like Chevy is always trying to make their trucks look smaller.

But, I'm with Storm - Function over Fashion, the Ford gas powertrain doesn't have it where it counts.

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Go drive the new Ford Diesel. I just test drove one (F350 Crewcab long bed) a few weeks ago with the 6 speed manual transmission. INCREDIBLE. I could break traction in ANY gear. The power was amazing. It accelerated way better than most gas trucks, which considerng the weight is crazy. I haven't seen a granny low that low since like 1968. And my buddy who has one with the automatic transmission says he gets 18-22 mph. He traded in his 5.4L (same truck) because it was only getting like 10-12 (which my 1992 Bronco gets!) and sucked wind pulling his 26' Cuddy Cabin ocean fishing boat around.

Although I'm not a big fan of having a manual transmission in the truck (pain on launch ramps, 4x4ing, etc...), it really is the way to go to get the most power out of the truck and to get better mileage. And I don't care who makes the transmissions, the manuals always seem to be more robust.

But I can't complain, I'm getting to 200,000 miles on my Ford tranny in my Bronco and it's been pushed pretty hard. But I have heard the newer 5 speed auto from Ford had a ton of problems.

Ric
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM
super strong truck indeed Fitz
with the stories I know to be true, go with the manual trans on that truck for many worry free miles
just change the fuel filter often and empty your wallet for oil changes and it's all good.

Rockman
03-02-2005, 01:30 PM
I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD (older style) and can honestly say to me it looks alot better than any Ford I've seen. I do not care for the new GM styles but would rather buy the GM style than the Ford (if I EVER bought a Ford). The new Ford F150..it looks like a Kenmore freezer someone dumped over and slapped 4 wheels on. What are they trying to make it look like an H-2? :confused:

My wife works for Ford and we bought have only owned GM vehicles...gotta pay the bills somehow! :D

Ric
03-02-2005, 01:37 PM
here here rockman!

oh and someone brought this to my attention recently
you can't reach completely over the sides of the bed on a new f150, they are too tall
funny

mitch
03-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I'd take an 02 F250 over an 02 2500HD in a NY minute, but it's an opinion, and everybody's got one. I'll also take the new F150 over any equiv. Chevy truck, esp the avalanche...chuckle I've said it before, how many innocent 2 liter bottles had to give their lives to make an Avalanche?? :D I can say I'm bummed Chevy AND Ford are not doing well. :noface: In today's news GM laying off 3K. Sad indeed!

BriEOD
03-02-2005, 04:56 PM
I'd take an 02 F250 over an 02 2500HD in a NY minute, but it's an opinion, and everybody's got one. I'll also take the new F150 over any equiv. Chevy truck, esp the avalanche...chuckle I've said it before, how many innocent 2 liter bottles had to give their lives to make an Avalanche?? :D I can say I'm bummed Chevy AND Ford are not doing well. :noface: In today's news GM laying off 3K. Sad indeed!

Yeah that Avalanche plastic looks like @$$.

ski_king
03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah that Avalanche plastic looks like @$$.
I see you can get the Avalanche now with a cladding delete option, it dosen't look too bad.

I predict the next "IN" truck will be the new H3. It is based on the Trailblazer which has a great powertrain.

That being said, I will stick with my old F-150 till I find and can afford a Powerstroke F-250.

Footin
03-02-2005, 05:09 PM
I think the new Honda Ridgeline pickup will do well.
I have only seen pictures but it looks pretty good for a Jap truck.

milkmania
03-02-2005, 05:16 PM

I saw this earlier today....
March 2, 2005, 1:45 PM

OSHAWA, Ontario (AP) -- The Ontario government has committed up to $235 million and the federal government up to $200 million toward a $2.5 billion General Motors Corp. project that will create 500 jobs, the province announced Wednesday.

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw112431_20050302.htm

milkmania
03-02-2005, 05:23 PM
once I started looking into GM's layoffs, I found this:

In September, GM said it would build 95,000 fewer cars and trucks in the last three months of 2004 than it did in the last quarter of 2003, when it built 1.39 million vehicles. Earlier this month, GM revised that projection downward by 10,000 more vehicles, saying it would build a total of 1.28 million cars and trucks this quarter.

lots more interesting stuff here:http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm28e_20041028.htm

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah, it's sad Ford and Chevy haven't been doing well. Unforetunately the world has changed and they simply haven't adopted. From the consumer point there are a lot of neat cars (and now trucks!) out there from other manufacturers that get better mileage, have more power, have less quality problems, and there is lots of choice in the styling. I've only owned Fords (just sorta the way it worked out) but given the price/quality tradeoffs today I've decided to keep my Bronco on the road rather than plunk down $40,000 for a new truck, not matter what the brand. Most of the new stuff seems to have had problems of some sort and get NO better gas mileage, and won't tow more or have better performance numbers than a 13 year old truck. I can put a lot of new 351's in my Bronco before I come close to the payments on a new truck. So no sale for me.. :twocents: .

Ric
03-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd agree fitz, with all the changes the ford/gm trucks still have about the same size motors and about the same mileage.
BUT
What, (other than Ford/Chevy) can you honestly go buy that have the true pulling power and longevity?
Nothing against the choices that you guys who buy the foreign names, but I'm hesitant to step away from the old reliable full size brands no matter how pathetic their mileage.

oh and as much as I dislike the look of the avalanche, my neighbor bought one & installed a lift and aftermarket tires and I must say that thing is COOL all of a sudden.

milkmania
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it's sad Ford and Chevy haven't been doing well. Unforetunately the world has changed and they simply haven't adopted. From the consumer point there are a lot of neat cars (and now trucks!) out there from other manufacturers that get better mileage, have more power, have less quality problems, and there is lots of choice in the styling. I've only owned Fords (just sorta the way it worked out) but given the price/quality tradeoffs today I've decided to keep my Bronco on the road rather than plunk down $40,000 for a new truck, not matter what the brand. Most of the new stuff seems to have had problems of some sort and get NO better gas mileage, and won't tow more or have better performance numbers than a 13 year old truck. I can put a lot of new 351's in my Bronco before I come close to the payments on a new truck. So no sale for me.. :twocents: .

good points there.

here's another excerpt from my link above that pretty much confirms what you're saying....
Michael Robinet, vice president of global forecasting services for CSM Worldwide, a Farmington Hills-based auto-research firm, said GM needed to reduce production because while pickups and SUVs remain popular, their sales aren't growing as fast as they once were.

Truck sales, which ballooned over the past two decades and now represent about 55 percent of the new-vehicle market, are stabilizing as cars disguised as SUVs become more popular, Robinet said. Those so-called crossover vehicles include products like the recently released Ford Freestyle.

What's more, there are more competitors in the truck segment, causing companies that have traditionally dominated the pickup, SUV and minivan categories to lose sales.

my newest truck is a 97 K1500 Suburban I bought last September or so....
it had 48,000 miles in 2004, I got the service records AFTER I bought the truck....impeccable!!!!
$13,995 loaded with leather....wish I could find another one.
the owners were elderly and drove an S-10 primarily.....

no kids = no french fries, bubble gum, and soda pop spills:headbang:

milkmania
03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I can attest that 38.38 gallons of gasoline = $69.00:eek:

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 06:16 PM
What, (other than Ford/Chevy) can you honestly go buy that have the true pulling power and longevity?

Take a look at http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/compare/details/?vehicles=15285|16620|16135|16029 from Ford's website. You can customize the comparison vehicles if you like. I think I got them close (e.g. size, motor, tranny, etc...) Ford loses is just about every category I care about. The Nissan really looks like a good value. Why isn't Ford or Chevy putting longer warranties on their trucks? If they were really that dependable it wouldn't cost them anything to warranty them for longer and would be a no-brainer sales tactic. But they don't. I think that tells you something. At least you get 7/70 with Dodge. And this all comes from a lifetime Ford/Chevy guy.

milkmania
03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
At least you get 7/70 with Dodge.

that single statement is what led to my purchase of my son's 2004 RAM1500

been very pleased with it

Delayed Power Retention System
is that the system that will shut off the battery with enough power to start the vehicle?

ie: listening to radio, until the battery drains down to a certain point?

*edit, I'm an idiot.....
found this further down after I asked the question...
Battery Saver/Run Down Protection

mitch
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
The Ram1500 seems like a bargain, esp w/ 7/70. I've seen the Avalanche w/o the 264lbs of plastic cladding and I still hate it... Chevy's got some decent truck models, but that aint one of em.

jimmer2880
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
.... Although I'm not a big fan of having a manual transmission in the truck (pain on launch ramps, 4x4ing, etc...), it really is the way to go to get the most power out of the truck and to get better mileage....

I had a 6-spd in my 99 F250 Diesel. I would tell people when they drove it up the ramp was:

Put your right foot on the brake, Left on the Clutch. Put the truck in Granny gear (2-wheel High). Slowly let off the clutch while keeping your other foot on the brake. When the truck starts moving forward, release the break & never touch the gas. There's enough torque in that motor, that I was able to pull lift docks (8,000-10,000 lbs) up the ramp without having to THINK about touching the gas! It is very hard to stall in Granny!

milkmania
03-02-2005, 07:34 PM
The Ram1500 seems like a bargain, esp w/ 7/70. I've seen the Avalanche w/o the 264lbs of plastic cladding and I still hate it... Chevy's got some decent truck models, but that aint one of em.

we were actually at the Dodge dealership looking for used Chevrolet trucks....
some guys pulled in, returning from a test drive, and this Black RAM1500 caught my eye....I inquired to the salesman, and he said, tohse have got a $1500.00 rebate right now.........keep in mind February 28th at 6:30....the dealership closes at 6:00.
we're standing there while this guy tells me what he can come down offa the $21,000....like $18,900 or so.
The sales manager comes out getting ready to lock the vehicles. salesman hollars that he'll help after he get's done with us...

all comes down to....sales manager shouting across the parking lot
"will ya buy it if I get it down to $13,500"
I said, "yep"
he said to the salesman "get the paperwork started"

so, from over $21,000 down to $13,800 (after paper fees), I'm satisified for a brand new truck with 7/70

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I had a 6-spd in my 99 F250 Diesel. I would tell people when they drove it up the ramp was:

Put your right foot on the brake, Left on the Clutch. Put the truck in Granny gear (2-wheel High). Slowly let off the clutch while keeping your other foot on the brake. When the truck starts moving forward, release the break & never touch the gas. There's enough torque in that motor, that I was able to pull lift docks (8,000-10,000 lbs) up the ramp without having to THINK about touching the gas! It is very hard to stall in Granny!

I guess most trucks I've driven in recent years haven't had a granny like that so I didn't think about how it' wouldn't be too bad on the ramp. Reminds me of a funny story. When I got into the truck the dealer just handed me the keys and said have fun. Didn't tell me first was a granny low. So I drop the truck into gear and since I'm used to gas rigs I gave it some gas as I felt the take up on the clutch. WRONG IDEA. That damn motor has so much power and the gearing was so low the truck lurched violently ahead. This threw my foot off both the clutch and the gas pedal. Once that happened the truck slowed down violently which threw my foot back onto the gas pedal! Needless to say this cycle repeated violently a few times across the parking lot until I could get the cluch back in and find the right gear! Very embarrassing!

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
all comes down to....sales manager shouting across the parking lot
"will ya buy it if I get it down to $13,500"
I said, "yep"
he said to the salesman "get the paperwork started"

so, from over $21,000 down to $13,800 (after paper fees), I'm satisified for a brand new truck with 7/70

Wow! Guess the guy wanted to sell a truck quick. I don't think you can buy a Honda Civic for $13k anymore. Great deal.

milkmania
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
the carb on my 69 Nova was like that.....solid linkage as opposed to cable...engine torque causes the motor to top out in the mounts

I could get that thing to bark the tires going forward and bark them going back:steering:

don't know how many Mountain Dews I drowned passengers with
that might be why my wife married me:love:

milkmania
03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Wow! Guess the guy wanted to sell a truck quick. I don't think you can buy a Honda Civic for $13k anymore. Great deal.

we were into it for less than a PT Cruiser:dance:

I want to test drive a Dodge Magnum!!!!
has anyone done it?

mitch
03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I drove a Magnum last month. Nice, but it had the tire thump from sitting on the lot, so that was discouraging. Vis out the back window was crummy, but it felt nice and tight. Mine was the V6 RWD. The AWD V8 are around now. I like the 300 much better myself.
$13.5K is awesome 4x2?

milkmania
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
yes, 4x2 without the Hemi

we stayed with the 6 cylinder because he'd be traveling to and from college

pretty much like this truck: color & all

BriEOD
03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
I do not recall where I read it, but the Dodge Hemi trucks have the WORST gas mileage of any full size trucks.

Professor
03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
I do not recall where I read it, but the Dodge Hemi trucks have the WORST gas mileage of any full size trucks.
Interesting! I still haven't become use to the way it looks. A positive note is that it reminds me of some of the late 50s two door station wagons.

Mag_Red
03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I do not recall where I read it, but the Dodge Hemi trucks have the WORST gas mileage of any full size trucks.We had a Dodge Ram/ hemi rental while one of my company trucks was being repaired.......about 10 MPG! I was glad to get the Silverado back :D

Leroy
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
What vehicle, currently in production, has the worst gas mileage?

Answer

I've updated this based on information that I was able to find at http://www.fueleconomy.gov. (http://www.fueleconomy.gov./)

The Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup (4WD FFV) running on E85 gets 9mpg city, and 11mpg highway. The Chevy K2500 HD Silverado 4WD running on CNG gets 9mpg city, and 12mpg highway. The GMC C2500 Sierra 2WD running on CNG gets 9mpg city and 12mpg highway as well.

Rockman
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Milkmainia,

Good deal on the truck :banana:

Let us know how it does for you.

ps-Miss the old avatar :(

Ric
03-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Take a look at http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/compare/details/?vehicles=15285|16620|16135|16029 from Ford's website. You can customize the comparison vehicles if you like. I think I got them close (e.g. size, motor, tranny, etc...) Ford loses is just about every category I care about. The Nissan really looks like a good value. Why isn't Ford or Chevy putting longer warranties on their trucks? If they were really that dependable it wouldn't cost them anything to warranty them for longer and would be a no-brainer sales tactic. But they don't. I think that tells you something. At least you get 7/70 with Dodge. And this all comes from a lifetime Ford/Chevy guy.

Cool feature. I'm still hesitant/reluctant. I know what they say on paper, but all of us here tow decent size loads and I've not read enough good things about the Nissan drivetrain -for instance- to make me want to give up the size, stability and power of my chevy.

Longer warranties would be a nice selling point for US companies, and I think do-able for the mfg, because the last three new body chevy's I've owned have run 100k with no major issues to run up mfg warranty expenditures.

eg: Chevy now offers a little half ton z71 now in a crew cab. The bed is extra short, the motor is small and the gear ratio is high. I have never towed with one, but my gut says that is NOT what I want towing to the lake twice a week, yet there will still be a nice market for that vehicle.

I was in a ford test market a few years back & they had some really cool r&d stuff that I've yet to see reach the market.
We've already seen gm waste good engineering with bad marketing eg: composite beds and 4 wheel steering which have been cancelled. So the warranty answer may be that simple as well.

--
milkman why don't those kinda deals ever come my way?!

jimmer2880
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I guess most trucks I've driven in recent years haven't had a granny like that so I didn't think about how it' wouldn't be too bad on the ramp. Reminds me of a funny story. When I got into the truck the dealer just handed me the keys and said have fun. Didn't tell me first was a granny low. So I drop the truck into gear and since I'm used to gas rigs I gave it some gas as I felt the take up on the clutch. WRONG IDEA. That damn motor has so much power and the gearing was so low the truck lurched violently ahead. This threw my foot off both the clutch and the gas pedal. Once that happened the truck slowed down violently which threw my foot back onto the gas pedal! Needless to say this cycle repeated violently a few times across the parking lot until I could get the cluch back in and find the right gear! Very embarrassing!

Scott, don't feel bad. I would get a real kick out of watching friends try to drive mine. I'm not sure if the gears on the new ones are layed out any different, but in mine, granny was all the way to the left & down. There was a decent amout of resistance move the gear shift to the left past 3rd & 4th gear. I would try to warn my friends, but you know how stubborn redneck men are "I can drive anything". Sure enough, they'd get in and put it in 3rd (actually 4th if you count granny as 1st) thinking they were in 1st and stall it repeatedly.

I drove it in traffic quite a bit to & from work every day. It was great, I'd use 2nd (again, not counting granny as 1st) and 4th. That would cover me from dead stop to 75 mph. The amount of torque in those motors is AWSOME!

I really mis my truck.

djhuff
03-03-2005, 02:15 PM
I currently have a '94 Bronco w the 351W and 205K, no major problems to speak of, changed the transmission at 115K (due to my father never changing the fluid). It pulls my X30 with no problems, and no real loss in gas milage (13mpg to 11mpg with the boat). I just wish you could put a Powerstroke engine with the Allison transmission, that would be the heat.

sfitzgerald351
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Cool feature. I'm still hesitant/reluctant. I know what they say on paper, but all of us here tow decent size loads and I've not read enough good things about the Nissan drivetrain -for instance- to make me want to give up the size, stability and power of my chevy.

I'm with you. I'm not giving up my Bronco anytime soon... 190,000 mostly trouble free miles. New engine at 165,000. Easier/cheaper to put in a new block than figure out if I had a bad head gasket or cracked a head. Still on the original E4OD trans.

But my guess is that Nissan will get any issues ironed out in a hurry and that people looking for a nice 1/2 ton truck will start moving away from the American trucks. Especially if they are really $4k cheaper (though the falling dollar might help here in the future). I know I'd take a real close look at them.

milkmania
03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
milkman why don't those kinda deals ever come my way?!

trust me, that's about the only really good deal I've ever stepped in!

I did not realize that car lots REALLY depend on end of month type sales...
like I said, it was after closing time on the last day of the month.
this salesman was literally running paperwork from the desk to the lady that takes care of paperwork/titles/etc.

went back two weeks later to look at a quad-cab by the conversation we'd had earlier..... this guy didn't work there anymore.

"couldn't pee straight" is all I was told:(

east tx skier
03-03-2005, 05:22 PM
End of the month is the only time to do a car deal. They gotta make the quota. If there are 31 days in a month, show up on day 30 right before they close. In smaller towns, they'll let you take cars home overnight (new experience for me). When I brought it back the next day, my wife followed me. Whoops, sorry, my wife is my ride. Trade in isn't here. I've got to go to work though. I'll swing by later. Of course, I've taken the day off, but my buddy at work is set up to call with an emergency to get me out of there if need be when I eventually come back with the trade in. Drag those feet. Works like a charm. Come the 1st, your edge is gone. It also doesn't hurt, as in my situation, to be shopping for something like an Expedition. Most common car anywhere. Nothing so special on any lot that could run (not walk) away from.

Ric
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
"couldn't pee straight" is all I was told:(

Funny I thought that's the ones that end up salesman of the month!

anyone here in the car business?

I've always wondered this. I've had salesmen that I've gone back to for 2, 3 even 4 vehicles and then allofasudden I return for another buy and he's been made "manager" (sales, finance, fleet, whatever)
From the outside looking in, it appears that at a dealership when you are made "manager", it's the kiss of death.
Every time I've seen it happen, the guy is gone shortly thereafter.
I found it odd.

Mag_Red
03-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Funny I thought that's the ones that end up salesman of the month!

anyone here in the car business?

I've always wondered this. I've had salesmen that I've gone back to for 2, 3 even 4 vehicles and then allofasudden I return for another buy and he's been made "manager" (sales, finance, fleet, whatever)
From the outside looking in, it appears that at a dealership when you are made "manager", it's the kiss of death.
Every time I've seen it happen, the guy is gone shortly thereafter.
I found it odd.I've done all the maintenance painting for a large dealership in Cincinnati for over 10 years now, so I've gotten to know a lot of guys in the industry. There is so much pressure on the Managers to make "the numbers". Factor into that the high turn over of your sales force. The GM makes huge $$$, but the stress, and hours worked, really takes a toll on them. :twocents:

MasterMason
03-04-2005, 12:01 PM
that is the nature of the Car Business. My dad was in it. Mostly service, but some sales aspects. One time he ran a record quarter for the company. Next week they brought in his replacement. The oweners are fickle people has been my observation.

JEREMY79
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Finally got a pic of the "new" truck
not a great pic of the boat but you get the idea

jake
03-09-2005, 12:48 PM

I looked at both the GM equivelents and the expidition in comparrison to the Nissan Armada. Bought the Armada. Actually, you are giving up both size and power to the GM and Ford alternatives.

This new Nissan V8 is impressive. 340 HP and 385 lb/ft of torque with a 9,500 towing capacity. That beats the GM and Ford comparrible powertrains hands down, as well as bettering them in towing capacity by 3000 lbs.

Not to mention best in clase leg and head room in all three rows.

I do see the point with the transmission though. Not sure Nissan has great experience building large heavy duty transmissions. I guess we'll see.

jayderwin1
03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
good looking rig 79

sizzler
04-02-2005, 09:46 AM
here is my tow vehicle....toyota amazon 4.2 deisel

André
04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Nice car Sizzler!
Funny license plate!

rodltg2
04-02-2005, 01:00 PM
i love the model names outside of the US.

sizzler
04-04-2005, 08:37 AM
and vice versa rod :smile:

H2OGirl
04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
This is my tow rig. 2005 Chevy Avalanche Z-71 no body cladding or body molding. 18" Kane wheels. The front windows have been tinted and the torsion bars tunred up. I'm not done yet, more changes to come.

betsy&david Harrison
04-05-2005, 10:55 AM
so, from over $21,000 down to $13,800 (after paper fees), I'm satisified for a brand new truck with 7/70[/QUOTE]

Californian's pay way too much for our vehicles...Just baught an 05 2500 Dodge Ram 7/70 4door(Quad cab) and paid 26,000 out the door. Nice part...payments are only 150.00 p/m. You guys are right..the gas milage sucks. We ended up putting a nice bed cover on it and that really helps. When the camper goes on...that will be another issue.

bcampbe7
04-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Californian's pay way too much for our vehicles...Just baught an 05 2500 Dodge Ram 7/70 4door(Quad cab) and paid 26,000 out the door. Nice part...payments are only 150.00 p/m. You guys are right..the gas milage sucks. We ended up putting a nice bed cover on it and that really helps. When the camper goes on...that will be another issue.

That's one heck of a down payment or financed for a long time. How'd you get $150/month if you don't mind me asking?

betsy&david Harrison
04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
That's one heck of a down payment or financed for a long time. How'd you get $150/month if you don't mind me asking?
you guessed it...huge down payment...our 2001 Sequoia. Traded one gas pig for another. All for the sake of traveling with a camper and boat. Why in the hell would I want to leave the private lake scene for the public water ways? Time to venture out with the kids..see more of California I guess. We have a trip planned in Aug. to go to Lake Briton up near Shasta. Sounds like 30+ families are making the trip. Hell of a party coming there.

ski_king
04-10-2005, 10:59 AM
1997 F-150 XLT 5.4 SC 4x4
No major problems for the first 100,001 miles

erkoehler
04-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Hope the next 100,000 are just as smooth.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-08-2005, 10:18 PM
here's my '02 Avalanche w/ 40k miles. Pulls like there is nothing behind it :steering: http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/507/482DSC00136.jpg

erkoehler
06-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Nice Arctic Cat decal, is it jet skis, four wheelers, or snowmobiles???

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
sleds of course!! you can check out my old sled in my gallery

before wreck (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=407&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

after wreck (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=799&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

MarkP
06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
No major problems for the first 100,001 milesCongrats on the milestone..

erkoehler
06-09-2005, 12:44 AM
sleds of course!! you can check out my old sled in my gallery

before wreck (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=407&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

after wreck (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=799&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

Hope you had good insurance! My first sled, a 2003 F7 I trashed with .2 hours on it! Cost me 3800 to have it fixed! New EVERYTHING!

jayocheskey
06-09-2005, 12:45 AM
My uncle's pick-up is doing the towing in this pic.

jayocheskey
06-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Here's another one with the Yukon doing the work. We are staunch GM supporters

erkoehler
06-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Here's another one with the Yukon doing the work. We are staunch GM supporters

That is a slick looking boat. How are the ski/footin wakes behind it?

X2M
06-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Go GM! :) 2002 GMC YukonXL 4x4 (aka Mom's tank).

jayocheskey
06-09-2005, 03:05 AM
That is a slick looking boat. How are the ski/footin wakes behind it?

Never tried footin. The slalom wake is average at 32 to 34 mph. I really don't get up to 36 - honestly, I'm just not that good any faster than 32.

Now with the right crowd in the boat, the wake can swell up in a hurry. It puts off a very clean swell of water for all the boarders. The main reason we purchased!!! I'm lovin' it!!

jayocheskey
06-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Go GM! :) 2002 GMC YukonXL 4x4 (aka Mom's tank).

Very attractive set up 'Momma' Good to see other GM supporters in full force.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Hope you had good insurance! My first sled, a 2003 F7 I trashed with .2 hours on it! Cost me 3800 to have it fixed! New EVERYTHING!

yeah, the insurance company totalled it, and i got back what i paid for it :D

Tennesseeski
06-09-2005, 08:27 AM
97 Tahoe! All I will ever own will be a Chevy! The ford motor in my mastercraft does not count.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
I tow with a '02 Ford Powerstrok'd Crew Cab 4X4, Sometimes I use the '04 GMC Yukon, but not often, my wife usuallyjust uses that for running around. Pictures coming in due time. Nice to see some of you are into sleddin' in the off season too.

MarkP
06-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I tow with a '02 Ford Powerstrok'd Crew Cab 4X4, Sometimes I use the '04 GMC Yukon, but not often, my wife usuallyjust uses that for running around. Pictures coming in due time. Nice to see some of you are into sleddin' in the off season too.Sounds like a great truck. Cant wait for the photos:headbang:

Ric
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
No major problems for the first 100,001 miles
awesome, that's my trade in mark. Does SC mean what I think it means? Supercharged?

Sledneck
06-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Here's my current rig.. The little Jimmy pulls supringly well.. 3" lift w/ 31" All Terrians.. 257,000km's and counting..

JEREMY79
06-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Here's my current rig.. The little Jimmy pulls supringly well.. 3" lift w/ 31" All Terrians.. 257,000km's and counting..

you want to convert those over to miles for us.

Mag_Red
06-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Sorry about the size

6ballsisall
06-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Looks great Mag!!

Sledneck
06-13-2005, 12:17 AM
you want to convert those over to miles for us.

160,000miles give or take a few..

Ric
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Sorry about the size
SEXY! .

Ric
06-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Didn't those come with the 4.3L v6 motor? STRONG little motor as I remember.

JEREMY79
06-14-2005, 11:55 AM
160,000miles give or take a few..

you still have many miles to go. I went to school with a guy whos 4.3 had 225,000 miles on it

tex
06-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Didn't those come with the 4.3L v6 motor? STRONG little motor as I remember.
I pull my 197 with a Jimmy. Horrible gas milage. The little v-6 is busting it's ars to pull it. No issues on the ramp.

MarkP
06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
This is the most recent shot of my “tow” vehicle/s. (from the way down to the East Coast Reunion). The little one is the 04 Explorer and the big one is going to go ahead give my Explorer a ride.

Ah, Good times..

BriEOD
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
That sucks!!

MarkP
06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
It did.. It only slowed us down about 7 hrs so, it was cool, :mad: .

Mag_Red
06-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Where did you break down??

bradamerry
06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Where did you break down??
Looks like the side of the road! :purplaugh

Mag_Red
06-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Looks like the side of the road! :purplaugh :rolleyes: Let me re-state the question............what was your geographic location???? :D

bradamerry
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes: Let me re-state the question............what was your geographic location???? :D
Better Mag, much better!!! :D

MarkP
06-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Looks like the side of the road! :purplaugh:uglyhamme

Near Zanesville, OH, about 3 hrs into what should have been a 10 hr trip W/stops..

JEREMY79
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Mark I made it home in 2 hrs 30 min. I bet you guys were still on the lake when we got home. How did you do going back???

ski_king
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
That does suck!! Sounds like it was a fairly quick fix, whatever the problem was. I bet you wish you took the truck!

MarkP
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
It took about 10 hrs. It was a breeze compared to the nearly 17 on the way down.

MarkP
06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
That does suck!! Sounds like it was a fairly quick fix, whatever the problem was. I bet you wish you took the truck!
We got towed into a great ford dealer. Got us right in, helped find a rental that would pull the boat (incase the tranny had to come out), Oh, yes it was Transmission issue #3.

dmac
06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
:uglyhamme

Near Zanesville, OH, about 3 hrs into what should have been a 10 hr trip W/stops..

What was the diagnosed problem?

MarkP
06-20-2005, 04:27 PM
It just abruptly dumped what looked like all the fluid. It also left about a quart on the flatbed. I thought I would see a blown hose.

The mechanic told me that they got a service bulletin about this tranny dumping fluid out of the vent from being over full. He told me he thinks that was the problem. After he took it apart and checked it, I watched him refill the fluid the right way (monitored the fluid temp during the process).

milkmania
06-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Looks like the side of the road! :purplaugh

now THAT was funny.....don't care who ya are

RedStar
06-20-2005, 05:20 PM
...lately?

MarkP
06-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Have you driven a Ford...lately?Ahhhhh, Yep..:o

RedStar
06-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Nice-looking rig.

MarkP
07-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Well,

I wont be saying the F*** word when it comes to our “main” tow vehicle anymore…;)

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 09:07 AM
what did you trade it off

MarkP
07-01-2005, 09:11 AM
The Explorer is GONE!!!

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 09:13 AM
what did you get

MarkP
07-01-2005, 09:21 AM
One of them GMC Yukon Xls. No more F word for me. We decided we had enough when the F dealer told us they might get it right the next time they rebuild the rear end. They didn’t have the parts and told us it might take weeks to get them. We have a trip to take in a couple of weeks and thought it might be nice to make it to our destination this time..:steering:

ski_king
07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
One of them GMC Yukon Xls.
Sounds like you went BIG this time.
Lets see some pictures, sounds nice!

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 09:39 AM
good for you.

MarkP
07-01-2005, 09:42 AM
It is bigger than the Explorer. Rene will have to take it to work for a while (probably about a year) till we get a “car” for her to take, (so no photos yet). Maybe after she gets home, but I did tell her she could go ahead and work “over” for a while.

Its an 04 that they couldn’t get rid of so they bent over backwards to get the sale. 22 miles on it. Plus, they threw in an extra 12/12 extended after I expressed concerns about it sitting so long.

tex
07-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I bought a 05 Durango SLT w/Hemi(SWEET!). Patriot Blue to match the MC. I tried to get a pic of the rig this morning and my d-camera is not working right. I will try again this weekend. Wow does it tow better then the Jimmy!

SteveO
07-01-2005, 08:35 PM
I bought a 05 Durango SLT w/Hemi(SWEET!). Patriot Blue to match the MC. I tried to get a pic of the rig this morning and my d-camera is not working right. I will try again this weekend. Wow does it tow better then the Jimmy!

Tex congratulations. I thought you told me Sunday that you were OUT of the search mode because you replaced the master cylinder. Have fun and post a pic. The V8 makes a world of difference. I love the 4 Runner V8 over the MDX.

wakerider
07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
this is how i roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
78 feet of pure sweetness

Cloaked
07-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Nice looking outfit. ^ ^ ^

MarkP
07-01-2005, 11:24 PM
this is how i roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
78 feet of pure sweetnessMan,

Cant beat that:headbang: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 11:26 PM
You back that thing up??

MarkP
07-01-2005, 11:28 PM
You back that thing up??He is 13.. He dont even drive yet..

JEREMY79
07-01-2005, 11:46 PM
oh.....pretty young for such a rig :confused:

Ric
07-15-2005, 06:05 PM
6.0L 1500HD LS 3.73:1 gears with Wester's hot tune
TOW ANIMAL and I don't have to mess with diesel

Note to self, get those dam red fender flares ordered!

Larryp
07-15-2005, 06:09 PM
hey, I'm a chevy guy, but the wife just a toyota sequoia. which wire is the reverse light wire. I need to connect the four pin to a five pine connector.

Ric
07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I wanna say about 11oclock on that round connector but I will look tonight

Larryp
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Her toyota has the four pin, its not like a chevy.

Ric
07-15-2005, 06:26 PM
I see what you mean now, no I dont know the toyota pin out
blue on the trailer is reverse I believe

jbfootin
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Just found out we have #3 on the way, and the wife want a minivan. I don't like them but they do have alot of room on the inside, but not alot of HP under the hood. Does anyone use one for pulling their boat and how does it work?

I guess I would rather have a minivan with a MaserCraft than a Suburban without!

ski_king
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Just found out we have #3 on the way, and the wife want a minivan. I don't like them but they do have alot of room on the inside, but not alot of HP under the hood. Does anyone use one for pulling their boat and how does it work?

I guess I would rather have a minivan with a MaserCraft than a Suburban without!
I am not a fan of minivans when it comes to towing.
How about a 3 seat SUV? The Trailblazer XL or its cousins? Or maybe a Explorer? (MarkP will have something to say here)
Stay away from front wheel drive.

MarkP
07-19-2005, 02:58 PM

I don’t know how well any of the mini vans could pull a boat.. A 3000 Lb trailer would probably trash a MV .

What do you use to pull your boat now?

Oh, Congrats!:toast: !

3event
07-19-2005, 02:58 PM
The largest minivans (Toyota Sienna for ex) appear to have a tow rating of 3500# ???? Seems rather optimistic to me. Check your rig's weight. Ditto on powerslot82's comments, stay away from front drive with boats this heavy. What about a 1-2yr old full size SUV? Market for used has to be a little depressed with gas prices and discounts on new. We have an Explorer, 2003, but rarely need to trailer. It does a fine job when necessary - all short trips so far. I would probably go full size SUV or truck if I trailered more. Be advised that in the Exlporer, when 3rd row is in use, there is virtually no room behind it for gear. Make sure when you look that you set up all the seats you will use and see what room is left. We have 4 kids so we are probably going for minivan, and 1 pickup truck eventually.

peason
07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
I have used my Toyota Sienna to pull for 6 years. Knock on wood the tranny has not given out yet. It is front wheel drive and you have to have a decent ramp in order to get the boat out. Thank goodness my new company car is a Chevy Trailblazer!

smsunman1
07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Massey Fergason or John Deere, Gotcha all beat. :D :)

parks_jr_55
07-19-2005, 04:08 PM
We towed our Larson a few times with an Arctic Cat TBX 500 and it did fine. I wasn't driving buy my brother said it was alot easier backin up. We haven't tried with the MasterCraft and won't because the prop guard on the trailer sits really low and the ATV sits low enough how it is where it would never make it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/ATV.bmp

smsunman1
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
the boat ramp is an 1/8 of a mile up the rd.

parks_jr_55
07-19-2005, 04:15 PM
the boat ramp is an 1/8 of a mile up the rd.

Same here. Thats how we got away with pulling with an ATV.

smsunman1
07-19-2005, 04:28 PM
You get some wild looks when on the road and ramp

jbfootin
07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I currently use a Trailblazer, but the back seat will be tight with 3 car seats in it. The 3rd row seating would work but is a pain to access in the EXT and not much room behind for "stuff". The full size SUV's are at least 10K more than minivans, to that is why I had to ask. Looks like we need to watch for a good used one.

Thanks for the :twocents:

parks_jr_55
07-19-2005, 05:17 PM
You get some wild looks when on the road and ramp

We have never seen a car. Our driveway runs parallel to the road so we go our our driveway and make a complete 180 degree turn onto the short Dead End road to the launch.

I think we only did it twice, and that was because the only car we had up there was my brothers Jetta.

maristarman
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM

When we had our third we bought a Grand Caravan. It was only a few months before we realized that it didn't have enough room.

Traded it in for a suburban and never looked back.

We're on our 2nd suburban now.

With all of the end of year clearance sales that will be coming up in August, you can probably get a sweet deal. They're not as expensive as you think.

Last August we bought an 04 that actually cost us less than our 99 did because of all the rebates and incentives.

P.S. our 04 Suburban with the hatch has plenty of clearance to open up even with the boat and trailer hooked up.

3event
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Here in WI, with the employee discount deal going (up to Aug1 I believe) , you can get a well equipped brand new 4x4 Suburban (no leather) for around $36k which does seem like a good deal. If you've got a fair amount of towing to do and want all the room, everyone who has one seems to love it. We have little towing to do , and too much kid busing around town to do, so the 10mpg city kinda kills it....really would like one though...

MarkP
07-19-2005, 05:40 PM
I currently use a Trailblazer, but the back seat will be tight with 3 car seats in it. The 3rd row seating would work but is a pain to access in the EXT and not much room behind for "stuff". The full size SUV's are at least 10K more than minivans, to that is why I had to ask. Looks like we need to watch for a good used one.

Thanks for the :twocents:
How soon till you are in only two car seat and a seatbelt, (how old is your oldest)?? Reason I ask is we thought the same thing but our oldest is out of a car seat. We ended up with the third seat folded in our Explorer and all three kids in the second row most of the time and long trips just blew. So I don’t really see any relief for you in a third row with out going to the larger suv.

We did use our Explorer for a year and a half with the three kids but like I said, trips blew. The last straw was the 04 Explorer we had kept breaking down and we finally bought the bigger SUV..

jbfootin
07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
My oldest will be 4 in Sept. and the new one is not due till Feb. We have some time. We are just checking our options.

WakePowell
07-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I went down to get a new cell phone battery but... the Ford dealer was on the way. I ended up getting a new tow rig and forgot to get the battery....

milkmania
07-20-2005, 09:59 PM
that seems to happen everytime I go to wal-mart.... I get lost on the way:o

MarkP
07-20-2005, 11:02 PM
My oldest will be 4 in Sept. and the new one is not due till Feb. We have some time. We are just checking our options.Well, take your time..

sizzler
07-21-2005, 04:45 AM
I went down to get a new cell phone battery but... the Ford dealer was on the way. I ended up getting a new tow rig and forgot to get the battery....

lovely ford......which one is it???

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 09:57 AM

Running Diesel in that rig? Is that the new color of the Harley D. or the King Ranch? I can't tell by the pictures.

Ric
07-21-2005, 10:23 AM
That is a good looking rig!

WakePowell
07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the comments. The truck is the blue Harley Davidson edition with the 6.0 diesel. I am not a Harley bike guy but I felt the truck looked great.

River Rat
07-21-2005, 12:05 PM
When we had our third we bought a Grand Caravan. It was only a few months before we realized that it didn't have enough room.

Traded it in for a suburban and never looked back.

We're on our 2nd suburban now.

With all of the end of year clearance sales that will be coming up in August, you can probably get a sweet deal. They're not as expensive as you think.

Last August we bought an 04 that actually cost us less than our 99 did because of all the rebates and incentives.

P.S. our 04 Suburban with the hatch has plenty of clearance to open up even with the boat and trailer hooked up.

Suburban all the way. I keep upgrading.....I'm on my 4th, 2005

T Scott
07-21-2005, 02:11 PM
If anyone is looking for a Tow vehicle I have two that I am selling. As some of you know, I have a dealers license and recently purchased both of these trucks at the Florida Auto Auction.

First truck: 2004 Ford F250 Harley Davidson Edition, 4x4, diesel. Two tone Black/Grey. Only 10k miles. Includes matching topper and removable "Bed Rug" Asking $38,900. I pulled my boat with it yesterday and literally did not even know it was back there. email me if you want more pics. Tom 407-230-6748

T Scott
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
2004 Toyota Tundra, Double cab, Limited Edition, Flowmaster dual exhaust, leather, Toyota Certified, 4x4, Full warranty, Only 10,400 miles. Asking $30,500 Email me for additional pics.

Tom

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
If anyone is looking for a Tow vehicle I have two that I am selling. As some of you know, I have a dealers license and recently purchased both of these trucks at the Florida Auto Auction.

First truck: 2004 Ford F250 Harley Davidson Edition, 4x4, diesel. Two tone Black/Grey. Only 10k miles. Includes matching topper and removable "Bed Rug" Asking $38,900. I pulled my boat with it yesterday and literally did not even know it was back there. email me if you want more pics. Tom 407-230-6748
I do love those wheels, but they are hot on the thieves list around here, I wouldn't think of it. Same color as mine without the HD getup.

Evan Jones
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Suburban all the way. I keep upgrading.....I'm on my 4th, 2005

Dad has a '04 with the quadrasteer option. He trailers a 21' Boston Whaler and that rear wheel steering is amazing. It manuevers and backs up like nothing else, and the sway on the highway is eliminated. You'd have to drive it to believe it. (It turns in a tighter circle than my Tahoe) ~!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Dad has a '04 with the quadrasteer option. He trailers a 21' Boston Whaler and that rear wheel steering is amazing. It manuevers and backs up like nothing else, and the sway on the highway is eliminated. You'd have to drive it to believe it. (It turns in a tighter circle than my Tahoe) ~!!!
The biggest thinig that steered me away from the quad steer is the durability. I have built 4X4 vehicles, and the rear wheel steering has me concerned about it in the future. Long term I am concerned with. Ever look underneath it and see whats there. gotta think about what could happen if one of those components lets go.

Evan Jones
07-21-2005, 03:05 PM
The biggest thinig that steered me away from the quad steer is the durability. I have built 4X4 vehicles, and the rear wheel steering has me concerned about it in the future. Long term I am concerned with. Ever look underneath it and see whats there. gotta think about what could happen if one of those components lets go.

Yeah, makes me a little nervous, but it all looks pretty beefy under there. The electrical is what I am leery of, and it reverts back to straight steering when there is a problem. Its just fun having the bling factor, and being able to manuever a big rig like its a honda.

Plus, Dad usually trades his rigs in before they hit 80,000 miles.

Ryan
07-22-2005, 08:16 PM
If you love Quadrasteer, you'd better buy one quick. It's on the chopping block - I heard the last year is '06. I thought it was the greatest thing, especially on the 3/4 ton Suburban. Aparently too expensive of an option - it's been touted as a market failure.

Only a few years in production won't help having spare parts in stock when you need them. Ford was on schedule to include the same Delphi quadrasteer system by 06/07 but it doesn't look like it now - especially with large SUV sales tanking. The drop in sales has prompted GM to push the full size SUVs up a year, forgoing an independent rear suspension in effort to beat the fullsize refresh/redesigns from Ford and Toyota. I was hoping to get Quadrasteer on a new model GM - not now unless I go used.

SteveO
07-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Got tired of fighting my wife for her SUV so I got my own

bigmac
07-23-2005, 07:00 PM
If you love Quadrasteer, you'd better buy one quick. It's on the chopping block - I heard the last year is '06. I thought it was the greatest thing, especially on the 3/4 ton Suburban. Aparently too expensive of an option - it's been touted as a market failure.

Only a few years in production won't help having spare parts in stock when you need them. Ford was on schedule to include the same Delphi quadrasteer system by 06/07 but it doesn't look like it now - especially with large SUV sales tanking. The drop in sales has prompted GM to push the full size SUVs up a year, forgoing an independent rear suspension in effort to beat the fullsize refresh/redesigns from Ford and Toyota. I was hoping to get Quadrasteer on a new model GM - not now unless I go used.

I have quadrasteer on my 03 Denali pickup. It really helps with maneuvering and backing up with a trailer, and it almost totally eliminates trailer sway - a good thing when my wife is pulling her 7000 lb top-heavy horse trailer.

It's too bad it's going away, but I can understand how it would end up being a market failure.

http://mccollister.info/denali.jpg

Ryan
07-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Sweet Steveo! Nice to see another new 4Runner on here. I have an 05 black SE V8 4x4. I can't get a good enough look at your trailer hitch to tell if that's a V6 or V8...and is that an 04 or 05?

Ryan
07-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Bigmac, that is a great looking truck! What color is your boat? You'll have to add your whole rig to your gallery for us.

bigmac
07-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Bigmac, that is a great looking truck! What color is your boat? You'll have to add your whole rig to your gallery for us.

Thanks. It's been a great vehicle.

boat is white/yellow with black striping. Could match better, but the only time I tow it is to put it in the water at the beginning of the season, and taking it out.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/2/230VRS.jpg

6ballsisall
07-24-2005, 01:38 AM
I have quadrasteer on my 03 Denali pickup. It really helps with maneuvering and backing up with a trailer, and it almost totally eliminates trailer sway - a good thing when my wife is pulling her 7000 lb top-heavy horse trailer.

It's too bad it's going away, but I can understand how it would end up being a market failure.

http://mccollister.info/denali.jpg

Those trucks are SWEET!! 03's had the 6.0 liter right?

bigmac
07-24-2005, 07:22 AM

Yeh, 6.0 liter - averages around 14.5 mpg according to the driving computer. It has a 10,000 lb towing capacity, and with the one-button shock stiffener and quadrasteer, it's a GREAT tow vehicle. We use a load equalizing hitch for the horse trailer - it's already wired for a 7-pin connector. Adding a Tekonsha Prodigy for the electric brakes is plug-and-play. I was puzzled by the 5 pin connector for the Mastercraft trailer, but the Mastercraft dealer gave me a simple adapter for the 7-pin to 5-pin and it works fine.

SteveO
07-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Sweet Steveo! Nice to see another new 4Runner on here. I have an 05 black SE V8 4x4. I can't get a good enough look at your trailer hitch to tell if that's a V6 or V8...and is that an 04 or 05?
Ryan, She is an 05 V8 2x2. That V8 was a big factor in my purchase decision process. I started looking at 02 because I liked the old body style, but the ride of the new body style and V8 option sold me. The new body style is growing on me.

bigmac
07-24-2005, 09:16 AM
By the way, I cannot recommend Hypertech Programmers (http://www.hypertech-inc.com/programmer.html) highly enough. They are fantastic.

Ric
07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
By the way, I cannot recommend Hypertech Programmers (http://www.hypertech-inc.com/programmer.html) highly enough. They are fantastic.
One of my favorite Trucks out there Mac! Very nice. Too bad qsteer wasn't more of a hit but it's only one of the fine features of your denali.

I'll add that if you like the results of the hypertech, you will love the results of a custom tune like Westers

tex
07-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey guys-I just bought a 2005 Durango w/hemi. I have heard that you can increase hp and gas milage by changing the exhaust. Anybody with experience here? I have none with all this new stuff!

bcampbe7
07-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey guys-I just bought a 2005 Durango w/hemi. I have heard that you can increase hp and gas milage by changing the exhaust. Anybody with experience here? I have none with all this new stuff!

That is probably true. By new exhaust I'm assuming bigger diameter and less restrictive. May need to reprogram the computer though. Might as well tell the beast o inhale deeper if you are going to exhale deeper!
You could probably get by with just reprogramming the computer to gain HP and gas mileage.

I think Jeff is a MOPAR man. He may have some advice.

OhioProstar
07-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I'll add that if you like the results of the hypertech, you will love the results of a custom tune like Westers

The guys on the Chevy Forums love Westers. I have thought of upgrading my ECM...but for $500 I don't know if the results would make it worth while. I would like to see the shift patterns lengthed with the tow option off or shifts softened with the tow option on.

Ric
07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
The guys on the Chevy Forums love Westers. I have thought of upgrading my ECM...but for $500 I don't know if the results would make it worth while. I would like to see the shift patterns lengthed with the tow option off or shifts softened with the tow option on.
I cannot remember the exact price but I think it was less than 400 after the rebate(which I dont know why they do?????)

What a simple upgrade though for a non-hotrodder.
I'm no tech, but they remove most of the "torque mgmt" if you tell them to and they of course can change shift rpms differently for each mode and from what I can tell, the "race mode" has a much faster throttle response which makes my 6.0 crew cab just jump out like it thinks it's a mustang or something.
It definitely gets better mileage but its very hard to keep your foot out of the throttle. The corrected speedometer for the larger tires mayyyy just save me a couple of tickets too.

Edit: I won't take back my original posts, but I would point you toward my October 2005 post in this thread for a more updated opinion regarding custom tunes.

6ballsisall
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM

Couldn't tell you for sure but it makes sense. My 04 with the Hemi is going to stay stock, I am starting to like quiet. Did you have the exhuast TSB done on yours yet? I just had mine done a few weeks ago and their definetely was a power increase in the band between 1500 rpm to 2800 rpm and there is much less engine roar in the cab

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2005, 01:40 PM
We have a 04 Pickup with the hemi. Put the exhaust on it that claimed more power and mpg. No such thing in our opinion. I don't know how they manipulated the dyno to say improvements were made, but no real life numbers were noticed. If anything, it only makes you want to stomp on it when you get next to a Chevy or Ford. In turn creating enemies and loss of mpg. Does smoke the tires nice, but who can't do that with these high hp trucks. In my opinion, long term you will be much happier leaving it alone, or if you can't, go full stailess steel complete., it sounds very healthy, but don't expect any improvments.
By the way Dodge, why don't you put the Viper motor in the Durango, you got it to fit in the 1500. 500 HP gas jobs sell!!! JM2Cs!!!

BriEOD
09-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Well boys and girls I got a new tow vehicle!! My wife got me as a gift (yeah, you read that right) a 2005 Ford F-150 4x4 King Ranch. It is Oxford White with Khaki trim at the bottom. It has the King Ranch saddle upholestry. It is bad @$$. We got a hell of a deal and no B.S. we were in and out of the dealership in 39 minutes. We showed up inspected the vehicle, the "off duty commander" wrote out the check, signed a few things and out we went. I faxed 15 fleet managers and the dealt with the one that gave me the best price over the phone. I'll get some photos up soon.

sizzler
09-23-2005, 06:49 AM
what a lovely wife .....well picked bri

BriEOD
09-23-2005, 07:06 AM
The truck or the babe? :D

André
09-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Both!
Very nice of your wife Brian.
Tell her we all admire what she did !

Mag_Red
09-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Well boys and girls I got a new tow vehicle!! My wife got me as a gift (yeah, you read that right) a 2005 Ford F-150 4x4 King Ranch. It is Oxford White with Khaki trim at the bottom. It has the King Ranch saddle upholestry. It is bad @$$. We got a hell of a deal and no B.S. we were in and out of the dealership in 39 minutes. We showed up inspected the vehicle, the "off duty commander" wrote out the check, signed a few things and out we went. I faxed 15 fleet managers and the dealt with the one that gave me the best price over the phone. I'll get some photos up soon. You'll going to love the new Ford! And the King Ranch :banana: ......... I could just sit in there all day and enjoy the aroma of those leather seats! Man they smell good. :D

sizzler
09-23-2005, 07:35 AM
The truck or the babe? :D

BOTH :toast:

SteveO
09-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Bri, congratulations. Pics, pics. pics... What did you retire?

skeeler
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Here is a pic of my set-up and tow vehicle.

Leroy
09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Nice set up Skeeler! I like the tinted windows, did you do it? WHat %?

BigBarney
09-23-2005, 09:48 AM
'03 H2. Pulls fine considering I added a supercharger a couple of years ago.

Ric
10-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Got tired of fighting my wife for her SUV so I got my own
nice stevo, now paint that truck YELLOW

east tx skier
10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Brian, quit driving that new car around and upload some pictures! :)

Ric
10-07-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a tow vehicle story but I will save it for monday
posted to bump this thread for myers and to comment on stevo's nice setup which I apparantly missed originally!

Ric
10-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Ok, with the chat about tunes (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=109081#post109081) and mapping etc, I'll add my humble experience...

Bought a custom westers tune for my new chivvy 6.0 4x4 half ton gasser.
All the hype was that I could get custom tuning regarding tire diameter, shift points altitude and fuel grade, all based on my driving characteristics (in my case favoring towing)
8 months and seven (7) re-tunes later, the local rep killed my ecm on my 05. After tons of hassle and replacing my ecm back to a factory ecm the rep had my money refunded to me.
While I think that it's possible to have a custom tune for your tow vehicle with noticeable seat of the pants performance gains, it, in my opinion, is not worth the trouble...
The story is much longer than this, but you get the point.
I had wondered what could be done for our open loop ski boat motors, but I am no longer even thinking of such a crazy idea :shocked:

bigmac
10-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Ok, with the chat about tunes (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=109081#post109081) and mapping etc, I'll add my humble experience...

Bought a custom westers tune for my new chivvy 6.0 4x4 half ton gasser.
All the hype was that I could get custom tuning regarding tire diameter, shift points altitude and fuel grade, all based on my driving characteristics (in my case favoring towing)
8 months and seven (7) re-tunes later, the local rep killed my ecm on my 05. After tons of hassle and replacing my ecm back to a factory ecm the rep had my money refunded to me.
While I think that it's possible to have a custom tune for your tow vehicle with noticeable seat of the pants performance gains, it, in my opinion, is not worth the trouble...
The story is much longer than this, but you get the point.
I had wondered what could be done for our open loop ski boat motors, but I am no longer even thinking of such a crazy idea :shocked:

These ski boat motor come from Indmar in a pretty zoot state of tune. Short of something like the Andy project, I'm not sure what changes you could make to the air/fuel map of a late model stock EFI Indmar that would boost its performance.

mbradey
10-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Here's the tow vehicle. It's a 60 something international with the ball mounted in the front bucket. Recent mods include advancing the timing to squeeze out a little more power....The only real challenge is driving the 2 miles down the road forward in the tractor pushing the trailer backwards then doing the same heading back to the cottage. I only have to tow the boat 8 miles per year so this setup works fine. Sorry the colour scheme doesn't match like some of your tow vehicle/boat combos...I did try this year to make it faster and loaded the empty trailer onto the back of an intrepid. I made it to the lauch but was unable to pull the boat out with this front wheel drive vehicle on gravel. I guess I'm stuck with the tractor.

sizzler
10-18-2005, 09:22 AM
what size rims ya running on that thar beast

mbradey
10-18-2005, 09:31 AM
what size rims ya running on that thar beast

Hmmm, no idea...but it does have the optional rear tire weights for better traction. With a top speed of almost 15mph you need this for proper control ;-)

Ric
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Here's the tow vehicle. It's a 60 something international with the ball mounted in the front bucket. Recent mods include advancing the timing to squeeze out a little more power....The only real challenge is driving the 2 miles down the road forward in the tractor pushing the trailer backwards then doing the same heading back to the cottage. I only have to tow the boat 8 miles per year so this setup works fine. Sorry the colour scheme doesn't match like some of your tow vehicle/boat combos...I did try this year to make it faster and loaded the empty trailer onto the back of an intrepid. I made it to the lauch but was unable to pull the boat out with this front wheel drive vehicle on gravel. I guess I'm stuck with the tractor.

I don't see any problem in painting the int'l to match the prostar.
Two very strong tractors in that pic!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Does anyone tow with a JEEP WRANGLER? I never really looked into the towing capacity of them. But I would think it would be somewhat ok. Or maybe the unlimited being longer might be safer. Just wondering.

Kevin 89MC
10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
A number of years ago we knew someone that towed a Tige with a Wrangler. They said is was great for the 5 minute drive to the lake, extremely manuverable at slow speeds. Predictably, they said it sucked above 30 mph. Way too short of a wheelbase. I could see it getting ugly quick on the freeway. It would jacknife if you blinked! :eek3:
Kevin

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 11:26 AM
I could see that too. Seems like there are alot of vehicles I would never want to tow with. But sometimes you have to use what you have. I had a wrangler, never towed anything, but pulled lots of things out of stuck spots. Never really thought about using it for a tow rig. But if I ever built another one, I may for short trips. And I wondered if anyone did it with the new unlimited.

Rumor has it there will be a 4 door wrangler from the factory in the near future. Wonder if the wheelbase will be even longer.

sizzler
10-21-2005, 11:32 AM
i pulled my b/foot 200 witha jeep wrangler for a bout 3 months.......hairiest 3 months of my life.......great manouvreability but absolutley useless on the motorway for the 30 mile journey to the ramp.....not enough wheelbase in my opinion....i def.would not want to tow my X9 any distance with one........

i used to back the boat down the ramp and apply the brakes and it would just pull it into the water with it.......

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 11:33 AM
WOW, that is definetly a scarey situation :eek:

tfharrison
10-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Here is the winner of the Tow rig contest at the Soutern Boat Owner's Reunion last weekend.

Go to my Photo Gallery for more pics of the reunion. It was a great time.

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 11:44 AM
What year MC is that? I don't think I have seen one in yellow with that mold before.

tfharrison
10-21-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't know, I never got past the Hummer.

tfharrison
10-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Jim @ BAWS can tell you. I think he sold him the boat. It seems to me it was a fairly new P209.

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 12:04 PM
I couldn't get past the gas mileage with that hummer. :(

milkmania
10-21-2005, 05:08 PM
got another 'burban

looks like my other one, except 1/2 ton

PointTaken
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Here is the winner of the Tow rig contest at the Soutern Boat Owner's Reunion last weekend.

Go to my Photo Gallery for more pics of the reunion. It was a great time.
Thats a nice rig! Haven't seen many hummers pulling mastercrafts, or anything for that matter. Nice. :toast:

MarkP
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Go to my Photo Gallery for more pics of the reunion. It was a great time.The H1 does ROCK!!

What year is that milkman??

Ric
10-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I do like a real hummer

milkmania
10-21-2005, 06:56 PM
I do like a real hummer

me too, as fake hummers don't feel as good, I mean look as good!

Ric
10-21-2005, 06:57 PM
me too, as fake hummers don't feel as good, I mean look as good!
true .

ted shred
10-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Here's mine 96 GMC Jimmy 4.3,4l60e,3.73 4x4 116,000 miles

Ric
10-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Here's mine 96 GMC Jimmy 4.3,4l60e,3.73 4x4 116,000 miles
the invisible truck!!

PointTaken
10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
the invisible truck!!
lol...it is hard to find anything wrong that truck though :)

Mag_Red
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I do like a real hummerYou are refering to trucks...............right??? :D Who doesn't like a hummer??

Ric
10-22-2005, 12:40 AM
You are refering to trucks...............right??? :D Who doesn't like a hummer??
sure . sure .

SKI*MC
10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
its the prostar 205V

SKI*MC
10-22-2005, 12:52 AM
What year MC is that? I don't think I have seen one in yellow with that mold before.
its the PS 205 V whoops

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Pretty cool looking with the yellow and white :D

paulphillipson
10-26-2005, 09:02 PM
No complaints about my H2, except that it doesn't have as much room inside as a 'Burb. Mileage is 13.2 at any speed, and it will do 70+ with boat over Donner Pass (7000'). Maggie Loves to drive it; it makes her feel invincible. I was rear-ended by a Honda Accord a few months ago, and scraped a .5mm chip of paint off the receiver hitch. The Honda was totaled - the grille was pushed back to the windshield!

SKI*MC
10-26-2005, 09:15 PM
haha wow! :rolleyes:

DooSPX
10-28-2005, 07:58 PM
04 GMC Sierra ext. cab 2wd 5.3L 3.73's w/ a locker ! dont even know a 24 pontoon is behind it, none the less a 19ft Pro Star...

Ric
10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
probably a threadjack but I saw a guy with a blue xstar on I-10 yesterday towing the boat with the zeroflex tower in the down position. they were going the opposite direction so I didnt get a look at how it was secured. It definitely caught my eye.

fskof
10-31-2005, 12:17 AM
2004 VW Touareg V8. Love it. It tows my boat better then my 1998 Dodge Dakota did.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
2004 VW Touareg V8. Love it. It tows my boat better then my 1998 Dodge Dakota did.
Did you at least get the Diesel version?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2005, 10:55 PM
I wonder if that new 2007 4 door wrangler will have a tow capacity that can handle the Mastercraft?

sizzler
11-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Did you at least get the Diesel version?
the big deisel touareg is a V10 ,throwing out about 500 lb/ft torque ,i think...awesome

6ballsisall
11-01-2005, 09:26 AM
the big deisel touareg is a V10 ,throwing out about 500 lb/ft torque ,i think...awesome

Its twin turbos too!! Simply awesome!! :D

PendO
11-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Saw this at the pumpkin patch ... what is it?

Ric
11-01-2005, 11:01 PM
looks like a steamer

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Its twin turbos too!! Simply awesome!! :D
Too bad its such a tiny "truck":confused:

I'd get the Cayenne before the Tour-egg, but that's my opinion.

Ric
11-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Too bad its such a tiny "truck":confused:

I'd get the Cayenne before the Tour-egg, but that's my opinion.
what is the weight and towing capacity of the tourareg? Too lazy to look it up myself

RickDV
11-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Saw this at the pumpkin patch ... what is it?

Steam tractor. Probably dates back to the 1920s or 1930s.

sizzler
11-02-2005, 02:44 AM
a couple of my mates have the turbo cayenne....awesomely fast..in fact too fast....but as porsche dont do diesel ,and never have done i think,you have to buy the toe-rag for the diesel varients.......about £55,000 for the v-10 diesel

Workin' 4 Toys
11-02-2005, 08:26 AM
My guess is the towing capacity is about 5K# for either of them.

West TN Wake
11-03-2005, 03:42 PM
2005 Chevy z71. Pulls like a dream and don't look half bad doin it in my oppion.

Kyle's_prostar205
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
2002 Ford F-150 Extened Cab, Long bed, 5.4 Triton V8. 16MPG Same paint scheme as my 1997 Prostar 205. Red and grey on the truck and red, blue and white hull with a small grey strip inbetween the red and blue on the boat. I looks awesome when they are both clean! :D

6ballsisall
11-03-2005, 04:51 PM
The wifes tow vehicle......

My current tow vehicle 04' Dodge Durango...... see my sig for my "feelings" about the vehicle and Daimler Chrysler :rolleyes:

Platprostar
11-07-2005, 01:32 PM
The wifes tow vehicle......

My current tow vehicle 04' Dodge Durango...... see my sig for my "feelings" about the vehicle and Daimler Chrysler :rolleyes:
2003 Dodge Ram 1500