PDA

View Full Version : 96 Prostar 205 Rear Seat

lea
04-18-2007, 01:08 AM
I've recently purchased a 96 Prostar 205 direct drive.

The rear seat pad pulls out and lays on top of the arm rests to create a sun pad. There are some mysterious hooks on the bottom of the seat and the side of the fiberglass where the seat rests when it is in the normal position. I'm wondering if there are some sort of support posts that are supposed to be inserted into the hooks when the seat is up in the sun pad position to create a more stable environment. I'm concerned that someone could step on the seat and snap it in half when it's in the sun pad position without any additional support. Comments or experience with this topic?

My MC dealer didn't have a clue.

TMCNo1
04-18-2007, 06:18 AM
IIRC, there are suppose to be some bungees to place there to keep the seat in it's place.

tommcat
04-18-2007, 07:17 AM
i just bought some small bungie cords from home depot for mine, works just fine.

Evan Jones
04-18-2007, 08:30 AM
My '97 has the same thing. The seat has plenty of strength. I don't have any huge people in the boat, but full grown adults use it all the time. It has virtually the same support in the up position as it does in the down position. I would be more concerned with messing up the vinyl on the gunwhales where it rests. I usually keep it up only when running a fat sack, or am anchored and want the sunpad effect.

erkoehler
04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
The hooks were ther for a small cargo net that stretched across the boat so you could store items under the seat without them sliding out.

Evan Jones
04-18-2007, 09:37 AM
There are two sets of hooks near the floor in the rear seat area. One set is for the net, they are black and round. The other set is for the bungees, they are aluminum bent metal pieces.

east tx skier
04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
The hooks were ther for a small cargo net that stretched across the boat so you could store items under the seat without them sliding out.

There are wider metal attachment points for some rubber tensioning lines that hold the seat in place. They are aft of the attachment points for the cargo net.

Sodar
04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
SDAHockey, JTX and I had a discussion about these little straps a couple months ago in the ProStar Thread. Read about it here: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8007&page=15&highlight=prostar+thread

Here is a pic of the straps installed: Note the little black hooks at the lower right of the pic for the cargo net...
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2641.jpg

Evan Jones
04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
And the black net installed....

Harvey
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I will warn you I had a 96 205 and the rear seat did snap in half. I was hanging out in a cove tied up to a bunch of boats when some jack@ss was boat hoping and he (probably 250-275 lbs) stepped right in the middle of the rear seat in the bottom position and broke it in half. I didn't find out till I got back in the boat (I was in the water at the time).

JKTX21
04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd be leery of people standing on the seat if it is up or down as well. My seat got a nice new seam split last weekend from someone standing on the seat/sunpad.

I was wondering what the black hooks were for as well.

brendenw
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM
How did you fix your sunpad when it broke? Mine had the samething happen only it was family. My sunpad that also makes a seat is wood. IS that the way it was from the factory or was it HPDE as well? THanks for the help

dmminfla
03-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I have seen several 205 seats break. The newer ones were upgraded with a bar that folds down to give the middle of the seat support(it's on another thread somwhere on TT) The original seats were not wood. My boat came with out the seat so I had one made with wood covered in fiberglass. I also support the middle with a block between the Seat and floor.

brendenw
03-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Mine has a center support. IF the original wasnt made of wood what was it made of and how thick was it. HPDE doesnt seem strong enought to support the weight. But maybe. Where would I get some that thick?

Thrall
03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
On my 96, the orig back seat bottom was made of the aluminum honeycomb stuff that the floor is made of. 1" thick.
Mined sagged out and I got sick of propping it up underneath. Used 2 pieces of 1/2" pressure treated plywood to replace it. Glued and nailed together with alot of little gun nails (easy to bend over the protruding part, didn't think screws with less than 1/2" grip would be as good).
Was going to install a "stiffener" along the front edge of the bottom of the seat, but it didn't flex at all.

Datdude
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
my 1995 PS 190's had a kick plate that supported the rear seat. The 1996 I had also had the back seat snapped in half. The PO had tried unsuccessfully to repair it with stiffners going lengthwise glued to the seat bottom(ERK:rolleyes::D). There was a small block of wood underneath to prevent it from snapping again. I looked into repairing it before I sold the boat, but the buyer was going to remove the seat anyway.......:cool:

supturb89
08-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Thrall,

How heavy was your seat made from the plywood? Would it pass the wife test to be able to lift?

Patrick Hardy
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
supturb89,
I had my 96 PS 190 seat redone last year. The interior shop made it with 3/4 marine grade plywood. They put on three coats of marine Epoxy resin. They installed new foam and some needed stitching all for around $185.00. It is extremely strong now, particularly in the middle of the seat. I do not know the exact weight of it, but it is not heavy or a burden to lift at all for anyone.

supturb89
09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
supturb89,
I had my 96 PS 190 seat redone last year. The interior shop made it with 3/4 marine grade plywood. They put on three coats of marine Epoxy resin. They installed new foam and some needed stitching all for around $185.00. It is extremely strong now, particularly in the middle of the seat. I do not know the exact weight of it, but it is not heavy or a burden to lift at all for anyone.

Thanks for this Patrick. My current seat was redone by the previous owner using composite decking and it weighs close to 100 lbs at the moment.:confused:

Ski-me
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Here is a thread on a seat support bracket. Also, E TX Skier has a write-up on the rear sundeck too. Maybe he'll chime in....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31229&highlight=sundeck&page=2

Thrall
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Thrall,

How heavy was your seat made from the plywood? Would it pass the wife test to be able to lift?

Not very heavy, maybe a couple pounds heavier than the original, never really paid attention. It held up well for the couple years before I sold the boat, no sagging. Most time consuming part was all the staples. I was pretty liberal with the glue, putting the 2 pieces together, used gorilla glue.