PDA

View Full Version : PC Suggestions

captain planet
04-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I have finally convinced my parents to get a computer. Being the computer novice that I am, I want to get the best bang for the buck. They won't be doing anything special, mostly e-mail, digital camera pictures, and a some graphics for their business. The only guide I have looked at so far is Consumer Reports and what I have encountered with our computers at work. I have narrowed it down to either a Dell or a HP just based on reliability. Gateway are garbage and Sony is too expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions?

dmayer84
04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Dell, I have seen way too many hp's fail quickly.

sanjuan23
04-17-2007, 01:04 PM
17" iMac Simple Simple Simple. We just got a new 24" iMac on Sunday, took it out of the box plugged it in gave it the password for the wireless and it was off and running.

Jesus_Freak
04-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I use Dells for high-end computational efforts at work, but have a cheesy base model HP at home. No problems out of either.

trickskier
04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I have 2 Dell's at the house and have no problems with them at all.........."Knock on WOOD"

Sodar
04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
17" iMac Simple Simple Simple. We just got a new 24" iMac on Sunday, took it out of the box plugged it in gave it the password for the wireless and it was off and running.

Could not agree more!! Hook it up and they are ready for business. Bought my grandparents one for x-mas 2 years ago and not a single problem!!

3event
My Dell laptops for work have been a bit underwhelming but they get a lot of travel abuse, so probably they are just as good as the average unit out there.

For home, we are on our 3rd Dell, they've been decent values and we're pleased.

captain planet
I have 2 Dell's at the house and have no problems with them at all.........."Knock on WOOD"
Yea, I was just on their website building a PC. I think it probably will be a Dell. I just want to make sure it is upgradable.

I have only used an Apple on about three occasions so I am unsure about them. Consumer Reports rates them very high, but they are unlike 85% of the computers on the market. I will have a hard enough time answering the barrage of questions that my parents will undoubtedly have for me, let alone them being about an operating system I am completely unfamiliar with.

cbryan70
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
This is so funny everyone has completly different opinions. Would it be a laptop or desktop? Only thing with dell is their customer support sucks, cant understand them

captain planet
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry, desktop. They are more easily upgradable.

trickskier
04-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Yea, I was just on their website building a PC. I think it probably will be a Dell. I just want to make sure it is upgradable.

I have only used an Apple on about three occasions so I am unsure about them. Consumer Reports rates them very high, but they are unlike 85% of the computers on the market. I will have a hard enough time answering the barrage of questions that my parents will undoubtedly have for me, let alone them being about an operating system I am completely unfamiliar with.
What I like about Dell is they build it the way you want it. Good luck on your decision and training your parents............:rolleyes:

cbryan70
04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Ehhh with desktops i would say they are all about the same if you are getting any major brand. I have the medion that i bought at aldi and it has been the best desktop i have owned. Bout 3 years old and is still running like it did the day i bought it.

cbryan70
04-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Medion is a german brand that puts computers together with all different parts from different manufacturers, aka mother board hard drives dvd burners. Works great and are at a really good price at least they used to be. May think about checking into them

captain planet
04-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your input. I will check out Medion.

Tricky, training my parents I'm sure will be a chore. I am considering getting them one of those training CD-roms. Should limit many of the phone calls that I'm sure are coming.

bcampbe7
04-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I vote for Dell...

I have 2 Dell desktops, 1 E-Machines Desktop (Walmart special, but it hs been a great PC), 1 Gateway laptop (older but works great), and 2 dell laptops (New D620 and Older D600). I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400 that should be at the house today.

Knock on wood, I have had great luck with Dell. It is very easy to get on their site, build the PC the way you want it, and have it shipped you your door.

I cannot comment on their service as I have never had to use them aside from a Laser printer issue that turned-out to be our phone line to the house (fax machine kept coming on while on a call).

Go with the Dell.

BrianM
04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I just got myself a new Dell. My 7 year old Dell was finally giving me trouble. I figure that was a pretty good run for a PC. Now running Vista and a 20" monitor which is very nice.

Jwhitsett1129
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Dell Dell Dell. Although, I have a buddy who is in graphic design and swears by iMacs...from what I have seen they are pretty cool. I grew up on PC though, so I have to recommend Dell. Hard to beat the support....

alpine740
04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I just bought a Dell. Free shipping included.