PDA

View Full Version : Do you change your impeller every year?

Tom Wortham
04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Curious to know if my fellow MC owners (Mainly the old schoolers) 80's boats.... change out their impeller every year. Since the Texas lakes were so low last year... My boat didn't see the water... they are full now... had the carb re-built, all fluids changed and a new impeller put in.... I have gone two years without changing it before... Just curious. Regards, Tom

dog paw
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Mine is a 84 and it on it's second impeller. Second set of plugs, and one carb rebuild. Have around 800 hours on the boat. Unfortunantly mine seems to sit alot now also. Sometimes there's alot of truth in the saying "if it aint broke...." I was having carb issues last summer so it will prolly need some attention before it gets out this summer (if it EVER warms up!)

BCBlazers
04-17-2007, 11:19 AM
thats a sweet lookin cruiser, what is that, a 75?

Willski
04-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I change mine probably every other year. I take it out for the winter when I fill up the block with 50/50 antifreeze/water. I check it out when I put it back, if it is damaged at all I replace it.

Tom Wortham
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Mine is a 84 and it on it's second impeller. Second set of plugs, and one carb rebuild. Have around 800 hours on the boat. Unfortunantly mine seems to sit alot now also. Sometimes there's alot of truth in the saying "if it aint broke...." I was having carb issues last summer so it will prolly need some attention before it gets out this summer (if it EVER warms up!)

Second impeller since 84? :confused: Wow.

Tom Wortham
04-17-2007, 11:28 AM
thats a sweet lookin cruiser, what is that, a 75?

Thanks! 1973
My dad purchased it in the Summer of 1973. Owned it ever since. Had it re-done about 5 years ago.

Tom Wortham
04-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I change mine probably every other year. I take it out for the winter when I fill up the block with 50/50 antifreeze/water. I check it out when I put it back, if it is damaged at all I replace it.

Good idea to pull it when you winterize the boat. I'll try that this year.
Thanks.

TMCNo1
04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Changed ours Saturday in the '89 for the first time in 3 years, old one looked great, so now I have a spare spare!

pilot02
04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Typically every other year for me but I also ski at least one time a month in the winter so that might help it a little. I'm due now though!

east tx skier
04-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Every spring without fail. It is cheap insurance. Having to back flush a boat with a shredded impeller (and possibly an overheat) is a pain. I had to do it with a close family member's boat instead of skiing on great water one day and would've preferred to ski.

If you don't replace every year, you definitely should remove during winter layup as the vanes tend to get formed from being in one position for too long making it a less efficient water mover.

Sodar
04-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Every year I pull it out, check for cracks and wear, throw some Ideal Clear Glide (Electrical Fish Tape Lube) in there...

MMCCAR12
04-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Every Spring. This time it was missing 3 fins. Last year it was missing 3 fins. My friend burned up his engine 12 miles down river last year, due to a bad impeller and thermostat. Very expensive lession to learn. They only cost 20 bucks and take 15 minutes to change.

Good Luck

Blythe was great on Sat. but blown out on Sun.

Mike

jraben8
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
The impeller is part of the de-winterization process. Like Eastie said, "its cheap insurance".

Or you could end up with one like this... And talk about inefficient....

Slinkyredfoot
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I change mine only after I get a tow in from being stranded on the lake with one that is chew up and get a tow in. :D

I usually change mine when it looks worn and torn...

Jkelly
04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
I tried to change mine the other day, but fail to get it out. Now I have to change it, I tore two of the vanes off tring to get it out.:rant:

jraben8
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Spray some lube stuff in there (technical, I know). 5 minutes later gently pry it out. (The vanes are already torn so you're not going to hurt it more.)

Just be sure to wipe out all of the left over gunk before you put the new one in.

dog paw
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I change mine only after I get a tow in from being stranded on the lake with one that is chew up and get a tow in. :D

Now your talking:D When my original went to the bad (on the lake naturally) I broke out the tool kit,(a can opener) got the inlet hose off and fed it water with my "coast gaurd approved" bailer jug, till it belched back some scalding water on my hand. Luckly all the piceces ended up in the therm housing:rolleyes:

jimmer2880
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
every spring. Like others have said - "cheap insurance"

BrianM
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I change mine out every spring. The one I took out last year looked almost like new but I don't want to have one go on me so I change it anyway. Put about 75 hours a year on the boat so it is a little more frequent than the 100 hour reccomendation.

PE4ME
04-19-2007, 06:01 AM
3 summers on the same impeller, stupid nothing more than lazyness on my part. Whats worse is I have the new one in the glove box, I have just fallin into the "if it aint broke" deal.
This spring it will be the first thing I change.

kjohnson
04-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Impellers are like underwear. You change whether you need to or not. Bought an impeller puller from Discount Inboard Marine - makes it a lot easier. Puller is for the impeller, not the underwear.

TMCNo1
04-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Changer impeller last Saturday after 3 years and she's ready to get happy,

TMCNo1
04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
6 pumps of the throttle, 8 revolutions of the engine and she's happy after 5 1/2 months,

TMCNo1
04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
She's happy, real happy, no coughs, chokes, pukes, leaks or stalls, just happy,

skitilldark
11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Got bored so I thought I'd resurrect some old threads...

mikeg205
11-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I do... cheap - real cheap insurance...

JohnE
11-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I used to but not anymore. I'll go 2-3 seasons. But on the DD it's so quick if you ever need to change one. If I had a difficult one to get at I'd be more inclined to do it every year.

TxsRiverRat
11-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I keep a spare on the boat and replace it as needed.

if it aint broke, dont fix it

markmcfarland
11-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Me 2.

Indyxc
11-06-2013, 04:40 PM
On my old boat (Malibu) Wakesetter VLX, it was easy to change so I did it yearly.

On my current boat, since it's such a bad design and almost impossible to change, I'll be doing it once every 2 years.

tkemperdc
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
I keep a spare on the boat, as I am not "on" the lake or have a home. I inspect, but unless it looks bad, I leave it. My 08 Star is easy to get to. But I also somewhat look at how many hours are on the part.

Rossterman
11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Did one when I bought boat last year v-drive so takes a little time but not too bad since I bought the puller. Planning on doing every other year and keep extra w/ puller on the boat just in case

CantRepeat
11-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I used to change it every year. But now I pull it out every year as part of my winterization so now I replace every couple of years.

Sodar
11-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Exactly.

This summer, I had my original ('07) impeller finally die. Literally, 5 minutes and we were up and running again.

jsturvey
11-06-2013, 11:09 PM
This was my 3rd season with my MC, and I changed my impeller for the first time mid season during the summer. The old / removed impeller still looked like brand new. Then again, I have only put 50 hours on the boat since I bought it. I have also heard people use the 100 hour rule as well.

bigmac
11-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Had the dealer change mine last year when he winterized...first time in 6 years.

Burbon66
11-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Yes yes yes every year, and keep the one that comes out as a spare. Cheap insurance.

bturner2
11-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Impellers to me are one of those items of urban myth. The story is told of the guy that didn't change it, over heated his engine and then had to replace the engine.

Do they go bad.... absolutely. Should you change the yearly as recommended..... absolutely. Do you have to..... absolutely not. The newer boats have systems that monitor the engine for over temp and will sound an alarm and put the boat in limp mode should you have an over temp condition so you're more protected there. The older boats don't so unless you're constantly watching your gauges an investment in a new impeller every season may not be that bad of a choice.

For me it's just become part of the yearly check list and something I do as scheduled maintenance. For what I paid for this boat and the possible outcome of a failed impeller I just roll it into my yearly operating costs and replace it. That being said it's been rare that I've had one that looked remotely perished.

I do find it odd thought that many people will insist on overkill items like full synthetic racing oil, special oil filters. changing trans fluid every year then refuse to change the impeller.

On the other hand I've never pulled my starter to lube the bendix on any of my boats and have never had a problem so I guess I'm just as bad but with another maintenance item.

bigmac
11-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Impellers to me are one of those items of urban myth. The story is told of the guy that didn't change it, over heated his engine and then had to replace the engine.

On the other hand I've never pulled my starter to lube the bendix on any of my boats and have never had a problem so I guess I'm just as bad but with another maintenance item.

Exactly. And do you also pull the lower hose off of your transmission cooler to check for weeds or blockages? My owners manual says that should be done every time I'm going to use the boat.

There are many pointless exercises and urban myths in boat maintenance.

Ben
11-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Mine comes out every year for inspection and spend the winter inside house on a shelf. Not sure if myth, but i think this helps it keep natural shape vs being compressed for 6 months in the "D" shape.

Gets replaced when I start to see small cracks (usually inline with the blades at the base) or I think is had been long enough, say 3+ yrs.

If it is still in good shape, $30 goes to another 1-1/2 to two mornings of ski gas instead of throwing a good part away.....

1990prostar190
11-27-2013, 11:10 AM
i don't as when I store the boat for winter I remove the impeller and place in Vaseline. One impeller that you should look into buying would be the Run Dry brand. it is rated to run for 15 mins dry. because no matter what you will always have the dry starts. I believe when I bought mine it was just under $40.

mikeg205
11-27-2013, 12:02 PM
i don't as when I store the boat for winter I remove the impeller and place in Vaseline. One impeller that you should look into buying would be the Run Dry brand. it is rated to run for 15 mins dry. because no matter what you will always have the dry starts. I believe when I bought mine it was just under $40.

mixed reviews here in on the "run dry impeller". Petroleum products should be avoided on rubber - silicone based greases are recommended for rubber seals "o" rings etc.

you can get Jack's silicone lube at most pool stores for about 8 bucks - or any good o ring lube.

Here's one of 8 bucks - I change every year regardless - but that's me. Got a new raw water pump and it came with a new impeller. The impeller did have silicone grease on it. I spray mine up with 303 when I install.

1990prostar190
11-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Ok I read where a lot of people recommended vasolene.. What about the silicone spray lubricant or will I need more than that on it?

bigmac
11-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Ok I read where a lot of people recommended vasolene.. What about the silicone spray lubricant or will I need more than that on it?

Theoretically, petrolatum (vasoline) will break down the rubber that these impellers are made of. You'd be better off using silicone grease. It's available at most places that sell plumbing supplies. You could spray it down, I suppose, but it seems to me that the grease would have better staying properties.

TxsRiverRat
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM

MikeG could speak to the above better than anyone on this forum. :D :D :D :D

Snipe
12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I remove mine every season end and store it in a plastic baggie to keep from drying out. If there is any sign of a problem I replace other wise I use it.
Last year I bought a '98 Prostar and the PO obviously never looked at the impeller. This picture is what I found. Believe it or not, it actually still cooled the engine. This could have cost dearly.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=103514&stc=1&d=1386095575

mikeg205
12-03-2013, 02:47 PM
I remove mine every season end and store it in a plastic baggie to keep from drying out. If there is any sign of a problem I replace other wise I use it.
Last year I bought a '98 Prostar and the PO obviously never looked at the impeller. This picture is what I found. Believe it or not, it actually still cooled the engine. This could have cost dearly.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=103514&stc=1&d=1386095575

Ahh the custom vented impeller ;)

CruisinGA
12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
For $40/year I really don't understand anything but replacing the impeller. Cheap insurance, and I have enough spares for the whole lake!

Snipe
12-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Ahh the custom vented impeller ;)

Ya gotta love it........:banana:
Understand that is not what I recommend.

Kyle
12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't replace every year but I do always have a replacement in my glove box. I think I've been 2 years on my current impeller. I'll remove it and inspect it. If it's still good then I will keep using it.

NOTE: I always watch my temp gauge and watch every other boat I drive their gauges.

It's always good to carry a spare impeller. You may need it, or you may pass a BU on a holiday weekend stranded. Instead of towing them in you can give them a used spare and save their weekend. Not only does this give you hero status in front of the ladies but generally the other boat buys the impeller for 3x or more it's new value.

Not saying that I wouldn't give the impeller away for free, because I tried (the BU had several available hot women onboard and I didn't want to take the guys money) but he insisted. Eventually later in the weekend we all partied together in party cove. Thanked again for saving his weekend for installing the new part and he kept saying he would have had to haul to the dealer because he knew nothing about wrench turning.

mikeg205
12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't replace every year but I do always have a replacement in my glove box. I think I've been 2 years on my current impeller. I'll remove it and inspect it. If it's still good then I will keep using it.

NOTE: I always watch my temp gauge and watch every other boat I drive their gauges.

It's always good to carry a spare impeller. You may need it, or you may pass a BU on a holiday weekend stranded. Instead of towing them in you can give them a used spare and save their weekend. Not only does this give you hero status in front of the ladies but generally the other boat buys the impeller for 3x or more it's new value.

Not saying that I wouldn't give the impeller away for free, because I tried (the BU had several available hot women onboard and I didn't want to take the guys money) but he insisted. Eventually later in the weekend we all partied together in party cove. Thanked again for saving his weekend and him saying he would have had to haul to the dealer because he knew nothing about wrench turning.

you ain't charging enough... impeller sale on water is $199.95 - under $200 ;)

Kyle
12-04-2013, 12:37 PM
you ain't charging enough... impeller sale on water is $199.95 - under $200 ;)

Well buddy,

$100 cash
A 750ml Crown Royal
And tagging one of the hot chicks

Seems to be more valuable than $199.95. :dance:

mikeg205
12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Well buddy,

$100 cash
A 750ml Crown Royal
And tagging one of the hot chicks

Seems to be more valuable than $199.95. :dance:

Love it!

roadster02
12-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Now that's what I call an impeller sale! I will have to keep a couple spares on board just in case.

CantRepeat
12-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Not saying that I wouldn't give the impeller away for free, because I tried (the BU had several available hot women onboard and I didn't want to take the guys money) but he insisted. Eventually later in the weekend we all partied together in party cove. Thanked again for saving his weekend for installing the new part and he kept saying he would have had to haul to the dealer because he knew nothing about wrench turning.

One thing all the big boats have is a water pressure gauge. I kind of wish I had one installed and just might. I'd also like to see a pressure sensor with some kind of noise maker on it.

Like you I keep an eye on the gauges but one more wouldn't hurt.

HDAVIS
12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I have a '96 PS 190. I used to change mine every other year. No more. I have someone I trust says the $40 =/- per year is cheap insurance. So, I now change it every year. Worth it for piece of mind. I use 2 paint can openers and it come out no problem.