PDA

View Full Version : 44 degree water

WTRSK1R
04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, the air hit 62 today, so we decided to take the first run for the year. The water was 44, and the air was down to 57 by 6PM when we hit the water, but the lake was almost glass. Well worth the temperture. Unfortunately, the dry suit I picked up off of ebay over the winter did not fit, so I had to borrow my ski buddies. Oh well, the feeling was great, and I am going to be sore tomorrow. :D

Steve

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Where did you ski?

McFire
04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Either of you near Milwaukee?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm about a half hour north of Oconomowoc

erkoehler
04-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Steve,

Any problems with the boat? Hopefully everything went smoothly :)

hleepert
04-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Do you know any of the guys at Still Waters? They have a great set-up there.

I'm about a half hour north of Oconomowoc

jlf
04-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Lance just asked me yesterday if anyone has been in the water from WI. I've been trying to get him to just put the boat in the water and he says it's too cold. I have a dry suit, I'm wondering how cold can I go? Must have been nice to be out finally, I'm dying to get in.

Where do you ski at?

barefoot
04-17-2007, 09:38 AM
With a dry suit, you should be able to go anytime. Erk, me, and a few others took our first ski run of the season on March 13th! It was cold, but I wore myself out before I got too cold.

I'm heading out this weekend in Beaver Dam! A bunch of Footstock people are getting together to do a little footin'! Ch-yeah, baby!

No Skeez
04-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I took a few long line barefoot runs on Sunday. A little breezy, but out of the wind it was nice. The water temp was somewhere around mid 40s, but again, it was well worth it. We were running in Brittingham Bay on Lake Monona, so it was pretty well protected. It was a complete ice cream headache as soon as you dropped after the run, but again, good to be back on the water. I had done a three day clinic with Keith St Onge in Florida back in February, but nothing beats the first run of the year up here in Wisco!

Sounds like this weekend should be nice. I'm setting up the slalom, jump and trick courses for a collegiate three event tourney this weekend, so that means more time on the water! Hope everyone else gets a chance to get out there and take advantage of this warmer weather!

Brian

WTRSK1R
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
We were on Pine Lake in Chenequa near Oconomowoc. I agree that the dry suit makes the season longer. The water created some significant brain freeze.

Steve

WTRSK1R
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Brian,
Are you setting up the tourney in Neosho? I talked with Will over the weekend, and he mentioned that he wanted to get the course in this Saturday. I told him I was willing to help since I use it all season long.

Steve

McFire
04-19-2007, 12:12 AM
We were on Pine Lake in Chenequa near Oconomowoc. I agree that the dry suit makes the season longer. The water created some significant brain freeze.

Steve

My ususal lake for skiing is Big Cedar, because I have a few friends with places where we can stay. The lake gets rough and busy for most weekends. If anyone has suggestions for better water not too far away, please share.

Thanks

treptowr
04-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I was thinking of heading out this weekend to try and take a set. I'm in WI near Wausau. Water is still in low to mid 40's according to some fishing buddies. I have only a shorty wet suit. Am I going to survive this?

erkoehler
04-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Dude, I wouldn't do it.

Andyg
04-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I was thinking of heading out this weekend to try and take a set. I'm in WI near Wausau. Water is still in low to mid 40's according to some fishing buddies. I have only a shorty wet suit. Am I going to survive this?

When I was 16 I skied off the ice in Chippewa Falls on April 1st with a shorty. You will survive, but I guarantee you will never do it again!

It was also the first time I tried getting up on a double boot slalom ski. Not a smart move on my part.

treptowr
04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Well I did it. The weather was 80 degrees Sunday. I put my shorty wet suit on and then my black neoprene vest on and let myself bake in the sun for a while. Jumped in to Lake Dubay (WI River Flowage) and took about a 20 minute set crashing five times before I called it good. As soon as you got out of the water, it was fine. The water made my forearms hurt a little. Can't say what the water temp was for sure as I don't have a thermometer. I'm guessing it must be closer to 50 than 40 by now since we had a couple days of warm weather. It was definately cold, but not as cold as I thought it was going to be. After the set, just stood on the swim deck and drip dried off. Didn't even need a towel. I think the 80 degree weather helped.

atlfootr
04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I had done a three day clinic with Keith St Onge in Florida back in February, hope everyone else gets a chance to get out there and take advantage of this warmer weather!70-80's Air temp, H2o temp should be up there as well but it's not.
Went out yesterday and the water was cold (for us) unlike that of Wisco of course.

Speak'n of KSO, I'm head'n ov'r there today to provide my service :D