PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Belt Tensioning Problem??

Slinkyredfoot
04-16-2007, 10:04 PM
I am trying to install a new original PC alternator belt on a 351 PC, the old belt was history and had no adjustment left in the adjustment arm.. The new one is so tight that when I push the alternator to give it more slack, the little bulbus knot on the back of the alternator, (and I know someone will know what this little knobule on the back of the alterantor is called), I don't.... jambs into the shift linkage for the transmission. There is virtually no give that seems to be good...

The tranny cable is under the fuel line and somewhat pinched right next to the vavle cover, there is no play. I had the engine out last winter and think I got things messed up on the reinstall??
It seems that if I were to disconnet the fuel line, run the tranny cable over the fuel line, freeing it up from the jamb session I am incuring,...:guitar: life would be great.
My question is what is wrong??? Should I disconnet the fuel line, run the T cable over it to give the alternator more play or am I missin" suptin" here? Can anyone look and see how theirs is done and let me know???
I would post pics but my daugter "Borrowed" my dig cam again???
Help would be apperciated, I thank anyone in advance:confused:

88 PS190
04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
There are a few belts that were used.

You may have replaced your old belt with one of the smaller side, when you just needed one with wider profile, since belts wear on the side, and don't stretch much.

TMCNo1
04-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Take the belt back and get one that is one size up and see if it works.