PDA

View Full Version : Help with wood...

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I've read enough threads that I know this title could go VERY wrong, but it's not what you think. :D

We built a deck last Memorial Day weekend. We bought the severe weather material b/c we are subject to some intense summer sun. I have always heard that you have to let treated lumber dry out before staining/sealing, so we did so. However, not a few months later we started having troubles with the wood. Does anyone know what could cause this? Has anyone seen this before?

I know I'm at fault for not bringing it to the store's attention sooner, but this seems severe for a deck that doesn't have 11 months on it and was in similar shape 3-4 months after installation.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Another view...

I'll estimate that within the next couple months 1/3 of the decking could look like this. Also estimate that within 1-3 seasons I'd have to replace the entire deck surface.

I guess I should have gone with composite or sealed sooner...:(

Maristar210
04-16-2007, 09:28 PM
P-Hat

That does not look like PT material to me. Looks to me like that stuff is dry as a popcorn fart and will do nothing further but chunk apart. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Steve

JohnnyB
04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
That's pressure treated lumber, right? If so, that's not normal for our climate. I let my deck dry for over a year, too. Although I hear that it is not necessary.

I would go back to the manufacturer on that. If you've got pressure treated wood and you leave it bare, it should last for several years. If you stain it with semi-transparent or something with even more pigment every 3-4 years, you should be able to get 12-15 out of it, probably more.

The only thought I have is that the cup of the wood is up instead of down. However, it shouldn't cause that big of an issue.

CarlosCabanas
04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
How thick is that? Can you sand it down? looks like it's dried out to me.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
MS210,
Yeah...I had a guy put tinting on the back windows of our house and I heard one of his co-workers say that the deck looked like it was ~3yrs old!

I can guarantee it's treated decking! At least that's what the tags and receipt says!

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Whoa...some other quick replies there...

Pressure treated for sure. Severe weather duty grade (PREMIUM!)

Cup us down. Working in lumber yard in HS taught me that.

Sanding is not an option. I'd have to take it down 1/8" to 1/4".

milkmania
04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
my 8-10 year old pressure treated deck has had absolutely nothing done to it, and it looks a lot better than that.

I bought the pressure treated stuff for low maintainence, the composites were just making it big in the market when we bought our material.

that looks defective....
is there any kind of website from the manufacturer (on the tag)

now, for the other wood, they got a little blue pill for that8p

I hear it works

heck, somebody had to go there:rolleyes:

Sodar
04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
If the place you bought it from will not help you out, the next best thing to do will be to rent a large planer and go it it! We had to do this at our desert house, for virtually the same issue you have, but it took about 10 years for our redwood deck to look like that... Good Luck!!

Toober Tom
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Teak oil or 303 will fix it up fine.

JimN
04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
My guess is that the logs were from trees that are hybridized to grow really fast but that leads to issues with quality and integrity, IMO. Kind of like the framing lumber from big box stores, that looks good from a few feet but is about as light as balsa wood. Not good heart wood and while the fast growing trees are good for the yield, they aren't worth a squat when they're used as decking.

Where did you buy the boards from and how do they describe the quality? If they make any kind of claim about how good it is, you may be able to get them to do something for you on this.

Too late now but I would have picked something with tighter, thinner ring growth. We're not going to get old-growth anymore but better lumber is out there. Remember, pressure treating is for insects, not rot.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I'd say check with the lumber yard and have them send someone out to look at it. You should not see that kind of weathering after less than a year. My deck is nearly 15 years old and the pressure treated lumber is not nearly as bad as your photos show.

milkmania
04-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Teak oil or 303 will fix it up fine.

he could just get his sweetie to blow in his ear:o

JimN
04-16-2007, 10:25 PM
"he could just get his sweetie to blow in his ear"

Or, with a series of levers and pulleys.........

Don't EVEN tell us it'll need a block and tackle.

JohnE
04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
You definitely need to replace the decking. There is no repairing it. And it does look closer to 10 years old, not one. You didn't do anything wrong by waiting to stain or seal it. Where did you buy it?

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. The picture is from a section I cut out. I took the section to the major home improvement store I bought the material from. They say they have no warranty, but are going to check with the manufacturer. The lumber manager said he has never seen anything like it.

It's the stores premium severe weather duty pressure treated lumber.

hmm...something interesting I just found...
"Description: Factory applied- no maintenance needed for 2 years."

JohnE
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I spent the big money for what the 5/4x6 mahogany about 5 years ago. I oiled it with one of the recommended oils and it looked better than my hardwoods inside the house. I said this is the best money I ever spent. Treated it again 3 mos later. Then 6 months later. It kept looking worse. After 3 years it looked so bad that I just stained it with deck stain. It was the biggest waste of money I ever spent. And I know dozens of people with the same problems with this product.

What size is you deck?

TMCNo1
04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
There is something wrong there. We replaced our deck that was 27 years old and it was not that bad, but the nails were rotted off and the boards were warped and our present deck is like new now after 5 years and has never been treated either.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I spent the big money for what the 5/4x6 mahogany about 5 years ago. I oiled it with one of the recommended oils and it looked better than my hardwoods inside the house. I said this is the best money I ever spent. Treated it again 3 mos later. Then 6 months later. It kept looking worse. After 3 years it looked so bad that I just stained it with deck stain. It was the biggest waste of money I ever spent. And I know dozens of people with the same problems with this product.

Sorry to hear about your luck, but misery loves company!

What size is you deck?

This isn't going to turn into one of those 'my deck is bigger than your deck' threads is it!?!? :D The deck is about 15.5' x 18' and the stamped concrete pad is about 12' x 18'. See the picture in my last post in this thread.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9016&page=2

Thanks TMCNo1...I hope the mfg sees it that way!

JimN
04-17-2007, 12:09 AM
And for those who are familiar with the movie 'Used Cars',

"That's the most blatant case of false advertising I've ever seen!"

mpm32
04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Take a look at Ipe. I built my deck out of it and it holds up great. I do have oil it every 2-3 years because I want to keep the reddish brown color. But it will weather to a nice grey. It's a pain in the butt to work with because you have to drill a hole for each fastener. Probably took me 3x as long than building a PT deck. I used Eb-tyes, biscuit fasteners to secure the decking. No fasteners are visible.

djhuff
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
First off, pressure treating is for rot, mainly to prevent the damage done by water (it's a side effect that insects don't like it) There are also different levels of pressure treating, mainly consisting of ground contact, or just outside elements. The premium material should have been for ground contact.

FYI, buying any kind of lumber from big box stores is hit or miss, they buy SOOOOO much wood at a time (think shipping containers full of one type of material), then use it as needed, and some of it sits around for a very long time before it is sold, pressure treated stuff sits outside, un covered. The biggest benifit of buying the wood there is that you can see every piece as you pick it, and can cull out the bad ones. But they buy the same wood as everyone else, lumber is a commodity.

If it has been less than a year, the store should take care of it, at the very least giving you the wood to replace it. You should not have to go to the manufacturer, that is the reseller's problem, you bought the wood from (big box name), not from Canfor (or whatever). Next time go to your local building supply store, they will only buy what they will sell within the quarter at most, many replace their inventory every two weeks.

On a side note, you did use hot dip galvanized flashing and fasteners right (or stainless steel)??? If not, you won't be on that deck much longer, and if you used aluminum flashing between your deck and house, it's already gone. I ask because many of the big box stores still have electrogavanized or zinc plated fasteners, and many of the clerks don't know to warn you that ACQ treating will destroy these materials within a few years.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
On a side note, you did use hot dip galvanized flashing and fasteners right (or stainless steel)??? If not, you won't be on that deck much longer, and if you used aluminum flashing between your deck and house, it's already gone. I ask because many of the big box stores still have electrogavanized or zinc plated fasteners, and many of the clerks don't know to warn you that ACQ treating will destroy these materials within a few years.

Uh-oh...I'll have to check what I used! I know I fastened the decking down with deck screws (no nails). I know I got all the stuff out of their recommended decking supplies and all the fasteners were rated for exterior use with pressure treated lumber. Boy...wouldn't that be just great... :eek:

Thanks for all the other info. I did contact the mfg. and they were really helpful in explaining stuff for me. The guy I spoke to wants the store to contact him directly. I should have let the store do it's thing, but sometimes you aren't instilled with a lot of confidence that they are following thru, but I should have given them a chance.

trickskier
04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Without reading every post...........Here's a product that I've heard a lot of good things about..........Here's their website: http://www.trex.com/

djhuff
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
^good stuff, but expensive. If it's in full sunlight, some of the colors will get pretty hot. Fun to install though, you don't have to worry about movement, and can do some pretty funky things, as referenced by your pic.

JohnE
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Take a look at Ipe. I built my deck out of it and it holds up great. I do have oil it every 2-3 years because I want to keep the reddish brown color. But it will weather to a nice grey. It's a pain in the butt to work with because you have to drill a hole for each fastener. Probably took me 3x as long than building a PT deck. I used Eb-tyes, biscuit fasteners to secure the decking. No fasteners are visible.

Any pic's? I'm considering redoing my deck with Ipe, but I don't really like the silver/ grey that it turns naturally. Do you have any trouble maintaing the color if you oil it every 2 years? How old is it?

mpm32
04-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Hmmm, I could get pics for you. It's probably 6 or 7 years old. No problem keeping the color as long as you oil it. It's not that hard to oil it either. I always get the 'wow, nice deck. looks like furniture' comments.

I'll take some pics.

Thrall
04-18-2007, 12:21 PM
What caused that, I don't know. It is not normal though.
For comparisons sake, I built a deck on Mom's place in Northern WI 7 years ago. Similar climate as yours, 'cept colder and the deck sits snow covered all winter. Used pressure treated 5/4 stock (the green stuff). It wasn't until last year that she got around to staining it. It was pertty gray by then, but cleaned up well w/ the cleaner stuff and a pressure washer. Virtually no splitting, cracking or peeling.

mpm32
04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
As requested, here are pics of my Ipe deck. It's around 8 years old and I need to oil it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Picture004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Picture005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/mpm32/Picture006.jpg

#47of100TeamMC
04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I built a deck on my house last year, used Fiberon Composite decking. I liked it better than Trex because it has a wood grain texture that looked a lot better and also has some sort of a Knurl in the surface that is Not slippery when wet.