PDA

View Full Version : Tune-up time

kidshanko
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I have taken my 1990 ps190 to my regular mechanic for a tune up (no local MC shops)
He asked me how to keep the engine cool during tuning?
We know where the pick up is, and we will prefill the cooling system, do we need to provide water for the pickup? if yes how do you do that?

thanks............reg

88 PS190
04-16-2007, 06:17 PM
the easiest method, and the one I use is to take a 5 gallon bucket and set it beside the engine.

Then the hose that connects to the through hull is removed from the hull connector (hose clamps)

And placed in the bucket.

Then run a hose into the bucket, and I often aim it directly into the intake hose.

Turn the hose on and let the bucket start to fill up, once the bucket is filling start the engine.

Keep an eye on the water level in the bucket.

It should stay pretty much neutral or fill slowly at idle. but when you rev it the level can drop.

Don't let the level of water drop too much, its basically an indicator of feed.

If you have a VERY good hose, ie. tons of pressure then its fine to make a connector between the hose diameter and a garden hose. Connect them turn the hose on and run it.

Many have slightly lower water pressure, and if you don't use the bucket method you cannot tell if you are providing adequate water.

The commercial products are essentially rubber toilet plungers with a connection for a hose and a hook to catch the grate on the water inlet, or an adjustable pole to hold it up in place.

TMCNo1
04-16-2007, 06:21 PM
One of the simpler methods is this Fake-A-Lake from www.skidim.com.
Here is the link http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAK01

east tx skier
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I prefer the hose in a bucket method personally. I've had a fake a lake fall over.

CHAR250R
04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I've had the fake a lake fall over, also. If you are in the boat, you can't see that the fake a lake has fallen off. I use the bucket and hose method, also. Works very good, too.

TMCNo1
04-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I've had the fake a lake fall over, also. If you are in the boat, you can't see that the fake a lake has fallen off. I use the bucket and hose method, also. Works very good, too.

If you extend the handle out a bit extra and compress the cup against the hull and position the rubber crutch tip directly below the pickup, there is no reason for it to fall over. I have used mine for over 14 years and I am in and out of the boat while it is running, jumping around checking stuff and never once has it fell over or fallen off the pickup.

east tx skier
04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
If you extend the handle out a bit extra and compress the cup against the hull and position the rubber crutch tip directly below the pickup, there is no reason for it to fall over. I have used mine for over 14 years and I am in and out of the boat while it is running, jumping around checking stuff and never once has it fell over or fallen off the pickup.

Harold, I'm glad your experience has been better than mine, but I did and it did. Fortunately, I was on the ground when it happened. The suction from the water pump compressed the bowl/plunger and picked it up off the ground. Gravity then took over and down she went. I looked like scooby doo trying to get to that key fast enough. Now my boat has a 5 gallon reservoir and drinks as much as it needs. If the water gets low, I can see it and I just turn the boat off. If it gets too high, I just turn the ball valve on the hose to stop the flow.

TMCNo1
04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Harold, I'm glad your experience has been better than mine, but I did and it did. Fortunately, I was on the ground when it happened. The suction from the water pump compressed the bowl/plunger and picked it up off the ground. Gravity then took over and down she went. I looked like scooby doo trying to get to that key fast enough. Now my boat has a 5 gallon reservoir and drinks as much as it needs. If the water gets low, I can see it and I just turn the boat off. If it gets too high, I just turn the ball valve on the hose to stop the flow.

I see what you are talking about. Till I crank the engine, water blows everywhere, but once running at about 1000 rpm to warm up, the F-A-L has no water spewing at all. I have my house pressure regulating valve set @ 55psi and I don't go much over idle except to punch it a couple times once warm. That may be the happy combo, who knows.

east tx skier
04-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I see what you are talking about. Till I crank the engine, water blows everywhere, but once running at about 1000 rpm to warm up, the F-A-L has no water spewing at all. I have my house pressure regulating valve set @ 55psi and I don't go much over idle except to punch it a couple times once warm. That may be the happy combo, who knows.

That's another thing I'm concerned with. My pressure is set at about 70 something. I want a bigger reservoir for my boat to sip from. I use flexible clear pvc hose and can see the process t'boot (my water hose is pretty much permenantly stuck to the thruhull fitting so I attach the pvc hose to the transmission cooler and drop it in the bucket.

As far as gunning it, I never go over 1,200 rpm. I usually keep it at about 800 and let it warm up slowly.

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm with you #1, I like the fake-a-lake. Mine did slip a little once but the motor has a sensor for that. It will let you know if it gets hot. All I ever run the boat for in the driveway is to change oil and stuff. Never much more than 5 min. :twocents:

TMCNo1
04-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm with you #1, I like the fake-a-lake. Mine did slip a little once but the motor has a sensor for that. It will let you know if it gets hot. All I ever run the boat for in the driveway is to change oil and stuff. Never much more than 5 min. :twocents:

I've let mine idle around 900rpm or so for as long as 30 minutes and temp never got over 145 until I cut it off and it did the normal heat soak to 170 or so then back to 145 when cranked. Could be because I'm lefthanded!

BriEOD
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I prefer the hose in a bucket method personally. I've had a fake a lake fall over.
Ditto here.

east tx skier
04-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Harold, maybe yours doesn't pull as much water because you only change your impeller every three years. ;)

TMCNo1
04-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Harold, maybe yours doesn't pull as much water because you only change your impeller every three years. ;)

I love you too Doug!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme
That was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!